AT board in ATX case

I have a Celeron 400 currently in a mini tower case. I want to relocate it, and
a desktop case would be more suitable. Obviously I can't get a new one, so I've
been trawling round the surplus stores looking.

All I can find are ATX units. mostly from Japan or Korea. I found one dealer
with a bare case, no PSU, no drives just the metalwork.

Would my Baby AT motherboard fit? Would the expansion slots line up with the
holes (they are vertical, it wasn't a slimline case. Would my PSU fit?
How about the power switch? The one on my AT PSU switches the mains, ATX ones
are a low voltage one. Would it fit behind the same button?

I don't mind if it looks a little ugly at the rear.

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

Christopher Pollard wrote:
> I have a Celeron 400 currently in a mini tower case. I want to relocate it, and
> a desktop case would be more suitable. Obviously I can't get a new one, so I've
> been trawling round the surplus stores looking.
>
> All I can find are ATX units. mostly from Japan or Korea. I found one dealer
> with a bare case, no PSU, no drives just the metalwork.
>
> Would my Baby AT motherboard fit? Would the expansion slots line up with the
> holes (they are vertical, it wasn't a slimline case. Would my PSU fit?
> How about the power switch? The one on my AT PSU switches the mains, ATX ones
> are a low voltage one. Would it fit behind the same button?
>
> I don't mind if it looks a little ugly at the rear.

The I/O slots should line up and the AT PSU will go in the ATX mount, as
long as everything is 'standard', and there were AT rear plates made for
ATX cases. Whether you can find one is another matter.

You'll need to change the power button to a mains switch like in your
existing case.

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 23:51:27 -0600, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote:

>The I/O slots should line up and the AT PSU will go in the ATX mount, as
>long as everything is 'standard', and there were AT rear plates made for
>ATX cases. Whether you can find one is another matter.

That's what I was hoping. as for the place, it's no big deal.

>You'll need to change the power button to a mains switch like in your
>existing case.

The power switch is connected to the PSU, and fits to the front panel with two
screws to position it just behind the button on the case. I'm wondering if it
will fit correctly behind the button on an ATX case.

I can always bodge something though if it doesn't.

Cheers.
--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:49:03 +0800, Christopher Pollard
<rubbish@cginternet.net> wrote:

>The power switch is connected to the PSU, and fits to the front panel with two
>screws to position it just behind the button on the case. I'm wondering if it
>will fit correctly behind the button on an ATX case.

It won't, as the power button on the ATX case is part of the case
electronics, and is a micro pushbutton switch.What I would do is stick
it in a drive bay cover (If they are pretty solid).

AT and ATX are DIFFERENT form factors. They are NOT interchangeable.

--
DaveW

Christopher Pollard wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 23:51:27 -0600, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote:
>

>>The I/O slots should line up and the AT PSU will go in the ATX mount, as
>>long as everything is 'standard', and there were AT rear plates made for
>>ATX cases. Whether you can find one is another matter.
>

> That's what I was hoping. as for the place, it's no big deal.
>

>>You'll need to change the power button to a mains switch like in your
>>existing case.
>

> The power switch is connected to the PSU, and fits to the front panel with two
> screws to position it just behind the button on the case. I'm wondering if it
> will fit correctly behind the button on an ATX case.
>
> I can always bodge something though if it doesn't.
>
> Cheers.

Well, there's no such thing as a 'standard' ATX or AT power switch. They
use whatever fits the case design, so it's purely luck of the draw, but you
seem to be fairly lucky with an AT 'behind the panel' plunger switch (many
are front panel rockers) as that's the most likely to be hackable. It might
fit in the ATX mounting plate, or the AT mounting plate might work with new
holes. Might need to spacer it, etc.

Gary J. Tait wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:49:03 +0800, Christopher Pollard
> <rubbish@cginternet.net> wrote:
>

>>The power switch is connected to the PSU, and fits to the front panel with two
>>screws to position it just behind the button on the case. I'm wondering if it
>>will fit correctly behind the button on an ATX case.
>

> It won't, as the power button on the ATX case is part of the case
> electronics, and is a micro pushbutton switch.

I don't know what you mean by "part of the case electronics' but many are
simply a plunger pushbutton switch mounted on a flat metal plate behind the
bezel plastic button and any similar plunger switch will work there;
including a plunger alternate action AC switch.

Christopher Pollard wrote:

> The power switch is connected to the PSU, and fits to the front panel
with two
> screws to position it just behind the button on the case. I'm
wondering if it
> will fit correctly behind the button on an ATX case.

AT and ATX power buttons are very similar on the outside, especially at
the front where they mount to the case. Here's a picture of the most
common type of AT power switch:

http://store1.yimg.com/I/trianglecables-site_1824_3505110

and here's one of an ATX switch:

http://store1.yimg.com/I/trianglecables-site_1824_3562663

Some ATX switches are 100% identical to AT switches except for lack of
2 lugs and a small U-shaped steel pin used for the latching action.
Don't try to use an ATX switch with an AT power supply since it's the
wrong type (momentary, like a door bell button), may lack a pair of
contacts, and won't be rated for enough voltage (120 or 240V) or
current (6-10A).

In article <1bbjv01qc72lv5n91da6ncfp84rsfrtb6q@4ax.com>, Christopher
Pollard says...
> I have a Celeron 400 currently in a mini tower case. I want to relocate it, and
> a desktop case would be more suitable. Obviously I can't get a new one, so I've
> been trawling round the surplus stores looking.
>
> All I can find are ATX units. mostly from Japan or Korea. I found one dealer
> with a bare case, no PSU, no drives just the metalwork.
>
> Would my Baby AT motherboard fit? Would the expansion slots line up with the
> holes (they are vertical, it wasn't a slimline case. Would my PSU fit?
> How about the power switch? The one on my AT PSU switches the mains, ATX ones
> are a low voltage one. Would it fit behind the same button?
>
> I don't mind if it looks a little ugly at the rear.

Better still...

In the UK, plenty of places sell second hand P3/700 systems for very
little more than the cost of a PC case.

--
Conor

-- George Patton

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 01:04:40 -0000, Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote:

>In the UK, plenty of places sell second hand P3/700 systems for very
>little more than the cost of a PC case.

That's great. but how much to ship one to the Philippines?
:)

Actually, the ATX cases I maneioned, I don't think they're actually ATX. Things
like a Compaq P166, which was before ATX was around. I have one here, the PSU
looks like a normal AT unit, as does its connection to the board. But all the
peripheral sockets (COM,LPT,VGA) are on the motherboard.

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:58:18 -0600, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote:

>Well, there's no such thing as a 'standard' ATX or AT power switch. They
>use whatever fits the case design, so it's purely luck of the draw,

Not sure about that. In me experience, case power switches on AT cases are all
the same, although the design of the actual plastic bit you press can differ.
They all connect to the sme type of switch behind the front panel.

However, having now bought the case, it isn't like this so I'm gonna have to
hack something. It's currently a small low voltade switch clipped into a
moulding behind the front panel.

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

DaveW wrote:
> AT and ATX are DIFFERENT form factors. They are NOT interchangeable.

They are not "interchangeable" but that doesn't mean always 'incompatible'
either. AT fits within the ATX footprint and uses the same mounting holes.
And, as I mentioned in my post to the original, ATX cases used to come with
an AT backplate.

Putting an ATX motherboard in an AT case is another whole bag of worms but,
then, REVERSE compatibility is seldom the norm because one can't predict
the future.

Christopher Pollard wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:58:18 -0600, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote:
>

>>Well, there's no such thing as a 'standard' ATX or AT power switch. They
>>use whatever fits the case design, so it's purely luck of the draw,
>

> Not sure about that. In me experience, case power switches on AT cases are all
> the same, although the design of the actual plastic bit you press can differ.
> They all connect to the sme type of switch behind the front panel.

Well, if it's a push switch, which is fairly common, they very well could
be at least similar but it's obviously not the same thing as the front
pane1 1/4 inch rocker switch on a couple of very common old AT cases I've
got sitting right here <grin>. And then, I have an old compudyne AT case
that has a front panel pushbutton with a foot long plastic arm on the back
end of it that snakes all the way to the rear of the case to a switch back
there.

> However, having now bought the case, it isn't like this so I'm gonna have to
> hack something. It's currently a small low voltade switch clipped into a
> moulding behind the front panel.

Ya just never know how 'creative' the next case designer is going to get.

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 01:38:14 -0600, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote:

>> However, having now bought the case, it isn't like this so I'm gonna have to
>> hack something.

Plan B. It's an ATX case, and I remembered I have a couple of ATX motherboards
around somewhere, so I bought a new PSU and I'll build it as an ATX unit
instead.

The irony is, on the case is a 'designed for Windows 98' sticker, and I'm going
to be putting linux on it. :)

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

mo

My experience is that a Baby AT board will NOT fit in an ATX case.
(You're sure you have a Baby AT board?)
Have you tried your local Goodwill store? or the
Mo

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:04:30 GMT, "Mo" <mo@somewhere.com> wrote:

>My experience is that a Baby AT board will NOT fit in an ATX case.
>(You're sure you have a Baby AT board?)
>Have you tried your local Goodwill store?

Never heard of goodwill...

Anyways, I bought an ATX case, remembered I had a couple of spare untested,
unknown ATX motherboards, so I bought a new PSU and set to work.

It's amazing what one can build from a pile of old tat...

I now have a Celeron 566, 256MB, 10GB... :)

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

Mo wrote:

> My experience is that a Baby AT board will NOT fit in an ATX case.
> (You're sure you have a Baby AT board?)

And what about it didn't 'fit'?