Decisions decisions

Hi,
I cant decide what to do with my PC.

MSI K7T266 pro2 (266a)
AMD Athlon xp 2400+
2x256mb pc2100 ram
GF 4200ti 128mb 4x agp

I have narrowed it down to the 3 following options.

1. Do nothing until new pci-e boards and cards get cheaper.I am running most
games ok HL2 is ok but cannot turn everything up as high as i would like
2. Buy an AGP 6800le or 6600gt and 512 pc2100 ram (£200) ebay gf 4200
3. New nf4 mobo with pci-e, AMD 64 3200 ,6600gt pci-e and 1gb pc3700 ram
(£400) and ebay all my bits as package.

Any advice?
Is now a bad time to upgrade?
How much do you think my parts would fetch on ebay?
How much longer will my present system be any good?

Thanks for any help making up my mind

Andy

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:08:04 GMT, "joanne grint"
<joanne.grint@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>I cant decide what to do with my PC.
>
>MSI K7T266 pro2 (266a)
>AMD Athlon xp 2400+
>2x256mb pc2100 ram
>GF 4200ti 128mb 4x agp
>
>I have narrowed it down to the 3 following options.
>
>1. Do nothing until new pci-e boards and cards get cheaper.I am running most
>games ok HL2 is ok but cannot turn everything up as high as i would like

This is the most cost-effective, long term bang for the
buck, but it doesn't help you immediately.

>2. Buy an AGP 6800le or 6600gt and 512 pc2100 ram (£200) ebay gf 4200

You may find that your board is not stable running 2 x 256MB
and 1 x 512MB modules. It might be but KT266, and MSI
boards of that era, didn't have very stable memory bus when
fully populated.

>3. New nf4 mobo with pci-e, AMD 64 3200 ,6600gt pci-e and 1gb pc3700 ram
>(£400) and ebay all my bits as package.

Best choice if you need the performance increase now, enough
so that you're willing to buy while nForce4 prices are still
high due to newness in the market and short supply vs
demand.

>Any advice?
>Is now a bad time to upgrade?

Nope, no worse now than previously, even better since do
have the option to buy PCI Express. It will be cheaper to
wait though, only you can decide the value in replacement
now rather than waiting.... buy what you need now, it's of
no use to pay premium for nForce4 "now" just so you can play
some game that comes out 12 months from now. If you aren't
satisfied with your current performance (which seems the
case, else this newsgroup post wouldn't exist), it may be
worth the extra $ to replace gear now rather than later.
Again only you can decide.

>How much do you think my parts would fetch on ebay?

No idea, maybe $150

>How much longer will my present system be any good?

Tuesday?