How many fans should be in an IDE mobile rack.

I notice that a lot of 5.25" IDE mobile racks have multiple fans installed.
Do you really need more than one? TIA
5 answers Last reply
More about fans mobile rack

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:19:53 -0500, "Tim"
    <argybargy@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I notice that a lot of 5.25" IDE mobile racks have multiple fans installed.
    >Do you really need more than one? TIA

    Yes because those tiny thin fans barely move any air. If
    your case has more exhaust than intake (potential, a
    pressure difference causing passive intake) then having
    larger surface area helps even if all the fans weren't
    spinning. Those racks are quite loud relative to their
    cooling potential though, if you can mount the drive in a
    lower bay with a larger system fan blowing on it, consider
    that option.

    "Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >I notice that a lot of 5.25" IDE mobile racks have multiple fans installed.
    >Do you really need more than one? TIA

    I have two Vipower mobile racks in this machine, one the conventional IDE
    type and the other USB2, both with single fans. Although I understand
    Kony's rationale, I think one fan is enough because some of the airflow,
    perhaps a majority, will be accomplished via the case fan(s). After all,
    mobile racks are portals to the front of the case and the fan cutout is the
    other to the inside of the case. Vipower makes racks with two and even
    three fans, but they are quite noisey. I have two of these used as external
    drives with firewire interfaces and you can hear them clearly when powered
    on even though they're behind the hutch and blocked by a file rack.

    There must be better airflow through a case-mounted mobile rack than an
    external enclosure, especially one with no fan. When a given drive has been
    used for some time, a rarety here, I don't notice more than a moderate
    amount of warmth from them.

    "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net> wrote in message

    > There must be better airflow through a case-mounted mobile rack than an
    > external enclosure, especially one with no fan. When a given drive has
    > been used for some time, a rarety here, I don't notice more than a
    > moderate amount of warmth from them.

    This is what I have found. I have a one-fan, case-mounted IDE rack and the
    drive barely gets warm. Maybe extra fans are just for external enclosures
    or for PC cases with poor air flow.

    BTW, do SATA drives require more cooling than IDE drives?

    "Rus" <me@meander.net> wrote in message

    > "Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I notice that a lot of 5.25" IDE mobile racks have multiple fans
    > installed.
    > > Do you really need more than one? TIA
    > >

    > You'd have to determine if there's a patch from front to rear for air flow
    > imparted by the computer case fans.

    In my previous post ... an error ... replace "patch from" with "path for" in
    the last line.

    Duh!

    //rus//

    > "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> There must be better airflow through a case-mounted mobile rack than an
    >> external enclosure, especially one with no fan. When a given drive has
    >> been used for some time, a rarety here, I don't notice more than a
    >> moderate amount of warmth from them.
    >>

    > This is what I have found. I have a one-fan, case-mounted IDE rack and
    > the drive barely gets warm. Maybe extra fans are just for external
    > enclosures or for PC cases with poor air flow.
    >
    > BTW, do SATA drives require more cooling than IDE drives?

    Since SATA drives are basically the same hardware as PATA's, except the
    interface, I would think they would be no significant difference in heat,
    unless the drives spin faster. One might presume WD Raptors running at 10k
    rpm would emit more heat, but before I changed to RAID0 my single Raptor ran
    5°C cooler than my Maxtor PATA (7200 rpm), so that theory doesn't work in
    all cases. Now with RAID0 I can no longer monitor SMART data for these two
    drives with any software I've found.

    Regardless of what drive interface you use, I'd apply active cooling to the
    drive bay--i.e., a dedicated fan. My Antec (Chieftec) case has a provision
    for mounting an 80mm fan in front of the HD bays, and that makes a huge
    difference in the drives' running temperatures. In fact, these drives (3
    mounted together) are barely above case temperature at any given time, and
    the Maxtor now reports 29°C in a 20°C room. As I said, the Raptors are even
    cooler.

    Some high-speed SCSI's are notorious for running at high temps, however.

Homebuilt Mobile Hardware Systems