Old Laptop

Hi all,

Bit of weird one this. I have aquired an old 133 compaq laptop. It
has XP installed. Obviously it is dog slow with XP, so I want to
install 98. Problem is that the laptop has cdrom but no a: drive, and
you cannot boot from cdrom. Now, XP doesnt allow a command prompt
only start like 98 (I think), so how do I install 98?? It cant be done
from within XP either.

Basically I want a command prompt start without loading XP,or any
other ideas people can come up with. Is there anyway I can start XP
and then tell the comp to load only dos at the next restart? That
handy litte "restart in dos mode" option would have been nice.

Ta.

If you want to dual boot Win 98 and XP, then you MUST reformat the harddrive
and install Win 98 first. After Win 98 is fully installed, THEN you can
install XP. You CANNOT install them in reverse order, which is what you
were asking for help doing.

--
DaveW

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:09:35 -0800, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:

>If you want to dual boot Win 98 and XP, then you MUST reformat the harddrive
>and install Win 98 first. After Win 98 is fully installed, THEN you can
>install XP. You CANNOT install them in reverse order, which is what you
>were asking for help doing.

Actually you can do it in reverse order, it's just a lot more complicated.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

On 31 Jan 2005 05:58:29 -0800, Digging4fire@hotmail.com
(Mescalito) wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Bit of weird one this. I have aquired an old 133 compaq laptop. It
>has XP installed. Obviously it is dog slow with XP, so I want to
>install 98. Problem is that the laptop has cdrom but no a: drive, and
>you cannot boot from cdrom.

Not to second-guess you but are you 100% certain of this?
It sure would be easy to do if you'd only overlooked some
bios setting or ??? and it really would boot CDs.

>Now, XP doesnt allow a command prompt
>only start like 98 (I think), so how do I install 98?? It cant be done
>from within XP either.
>
>Basically I want a command prompt start without loading XP,or any
>other ideas people can come up with. Is there anyway I can start XP
>and then tell the comp to load only dos at the next restart? That
>handy litte "restart in dos mode" option would have been nice.

A laptop IDE adapter is very handy for a laptop owner to
have. I'd pull the drive, hook it to a desktop, create a
2nd FAT32 partition on the drive to which I copied the Win98
installation files, drivers, apps/etc as remaining space
allows, the the eventual goal of using the 2nd parititon to
store user data and make Ghost or DriveImage backups.

While drive is still in desktop system it can be formatted
with system files so it's bootable to DOS. Then you simply
reinstall in laptop , boot DOS, and of course run win98
setup off the 2nd partition at the command prompt.

http://www.google.com/froogle?q=laptop+IDE+adapter&scoring=p

Mescalito <Digging4fire@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Bit of weird one this. I have aquired an old 133 compaq laptop. It
> has XP installed. Obviously it is dog slow with XP, so I want to

WTF!?! Are you saying you have XP installed on a 133MHz machine and a
laptop at that?

--

Wing Wong.
Webpage: http://wing.ucc.asn.au

FAQs about me:
Is this related to homework?
Definately not
Are you and undergrad?
Yes
Are you looking for work and do you want to work for us?
Yes, but only if it pays.
Are you insane?
No, not at the moment.

Mescalito wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Bit of weird one this. I have aquired an old 133 compaq laptop. It
> has XP installed. Obviously it is dog slow with XP, so I want to
> install 98. Problem is that the laptop has cdrom but no a: drive, and
> you cannot boot from cdrom. Now, XP doesnt allow a command prompt
> only start like 98 (I think), so how do I install 98?? It cant be done
> from within XP either.
>
> Basically I want a command prompt start without loading XP,or any
> other ideas people can come up with. Is there anyway I can start XP
> and then tell the comp to load only dos at the next restart? That
> handy litte "restart in dos mode" option would have been nice.
>
> Ta.

Odds are you can change the boot order in BIOS to boot from the CD first.

Otherwise you could buy an adapter for the notebook drive to plug it into a
desktop and then reformat it, make it DOS bootable, and copy the windows98
CD /win98 directory to it and then do an install from there (in the notebook)

stk

Distinguished
May 26, 2003

YOu can make boot win 98 cd to use it instead floppy
booting

"Mescalito" <Digging4fire@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Bit of weird one this. I have aquired an old 133 compaq laptop. It
> has XP installed. Obviously it is dog slow with XP, so I want to
> install 98. Problem is that the laptop has cdrom but no a: drive, and
> you cannot boot from cdrom. Now, XP doesnt allow a command prompt
> only start like 98 (I think), so how do I install 98?? It cant be done
> from within XP either.
>
> Basically I want a command prompt start without loading XP,or any
> other ideas people can come up with. Is there anyway I can start XP
> and then tell the comp to load only dos at the next restart? That
> handy litte "restart in dos mode" option would have been nice.
>
> Ta.

Dee

STK wrote:

> YOu can make boot win 98 cd to use it instead floppy
> booting
>
> "Mescalito" <Digging4fire@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>Bit of weird one this. I have aquired an old 133 compaq laptop. It
>>has XP installed. Obviously it is dog slow with XP, so I want to
>>install 98. Problem is that the laptop has cdrom but no a: drive, and
>>you cannot boot from cdrom. Now, XP doesnt allow a command prompt
>>only start like 98 (I think), so how do I install 98?? It cant be done
>>from within XP either.
>>
>>Basically I want a command prompt start without loading XP,or any
>>other ideas people can come up with. Is there anyway I can start XP
>>and then tell the comp to load only dos at the next restart? That
>>handy litte "restart in dos mode" option would have been nice.
>>
>>Ta.

He plainly states "you cannot boot from cdrom."

So, if the laptop won't boot from the cdrom, what good is a win 98
bootable cd going to do him?

kony <spam@spam.com> wrote in message news:<65auv0l36hqiirvmo7pk3ov1r9i77r5t55@4ax.com>...
> On 31 Jan 2005 05:58:29 -0800, Digging4fire@hotmail.com
> (Mescalito) wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >Bit of weird one this. I have aquired an old 133 compaq laptop. It
> >has XP installed. Obviously it is dog slow with XP, so I want to
> >install 98. Problem is that the laptop has cdrom but no a: drive, and
> >you cannot boot from cdrom.
>
> Not to second-guess you but are you 100% certain of this?
> It sure would be easy to do if you'd only overlooked some
> bios setting or ??? and it really would boot CDs.
>

> >Now, XP doesnt allow a command prompt
> >only start like 98 (I think), so how do I install 98?? It cant be done
> >from within XP either.
> >
> >Basically I want a command prompt start without loading XP,or any
> >other ideas people can come up with. Is there anyway I can start XP
> >and then tell the comp to load only dos at the next restart? That
> >handy litte "restart in dos mode" option would have been nice.
>
> A laptop IDE adapter is very handy for a laptop owner to
> have. I'd pull the drive, hook it to a desktop, create a
> 2nd FAT32 partition on the drive to which I copied the Win98
> installation files, drivers, apps/etc as remaining space
> allows, the the eventual goal of using the 2nd parititon to
> store user data and make Ghost or DriveImage backups.
>
> While drive is still in desktop system it can be formatted
> with system files so it's bootable to DOS. Then you simply
> reinstall in laptop , boot DOS, and of course run win98
> setup off the 2nd partition at the command prompt.
>
> http://www.google.com/froogle?q=laptop+IDE+adapter&scoring=p

Many thanks for all the replies...especially Kony. I will give your idea a go mate.

David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message news:<1100n4dcb10jd52@corp.supernews.com>...
> Mescalito wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Bit of weird one this. I have aquired an old 133 compaq laptop. It
> > has XP installed. Obviously it is dog slow with XP, so I want to
> > install 98. Problem is that the laptop has cdrom but no a: drive, and
> > you cannot boot from cdrom. Now, XP doesnt allow a command prompt
> > only start like 98 (I think), so how do I install 98?? It cant be done
> > from within XP either.
> >
> > Basically I want a command prompt start without loading XP,or any
> > other ideas people can come up with. Is there anyway I can start XP
> > and then tell the comp to load only dos at the next restart? That
> > handy litte "restart in dos mode" option would have been nice.
> >
> > Ta.
>
> Odds are you can change the boot order in BIOS to boot from the CD first.
>
> Otherwise you could buy an adapter for the notebook drive to plug it into a
> desktop and then reformat it, make it DOS bootable, and copy the windows98
> CD /win98 directory to it and then do an install from there (in the notebook)

thanks David, good advice that i hadnt thought of.