HDD transfer

Hi I am looking at replacing my PC and building a new one but am not sure
what to do about HDD's. I have a 40mb and 80mb Maxtor Diamond max 9 7200rpm
at the moment and would like to replace them with a 200gb Maxtor.I would
like to sell my old PC and therefore need to leave at least one drive in. I
want to keep all my data OS and everything as it is.
Is there a way I can transfer this from these disks to a new one?

Andy

Engelbert

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2005

"joanne grint" <joanne.grint@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi I am looking at replacing my PC and building a new one but am not sure
> what to do about HDD's. I have a 40mb and 80mb Maxtor Diamond max 9
> 7200rpm
> at the moment and would like to replace them with a 200gb Maxtor.I would
> like to sell my old PC and therefore need to leave at least one drive in.
> want to keep all my data OS and everything as it is.
> Is there a way I can transfer this from these disks to a new one?
>
> Andy

one suggestion is

http://www.acronis.com/

TrueImage 8

Dee

In article <OhvLd.204$fA6.25@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>,
joanne.grint@ntlworld.com says...
> Hi I am looking at replacing my PC and building a new one but am not sure
> what to do about HDD's. I have a 40mb and 80mb Maxtor Diamond max 9 7200rpm
> at the moment and would like to replace them with a 200gb Maxtor.I would
> like to sell my old PC and therefore need to leave at least one drive in. I
> want to keep all my data OS and everything as it is.
> Is there a way I can transfer this from these disks to a new one?
>
> Andy

connect the old drive up to a spare ide cable in the new one and just
file copy the info over from windows. There are dedicated solutions
involving additional hard/software, but this is about the fastest and
easiest to do. if you unsure on how to connect the drive, ask here and
someone can help.

Dee

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 08:12:07 +1100, Dee <I.H@te.spam> wrote:

>In article <OhvLd.204$fA6.25@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>,
>joanne.grint@ntlworld.com says...
>> Hi I am looking at replacing my PC and building a new one but am not sure
>> what to do about HDD's. I have a 40mb and 80mb Maxtor Diamond max 9 7200rpm
>> at the moment and would like to replace them with a 200gb Maxtor.I would
>> like to sell my old PC and therefore need to leave at least one drive in. I
>> want to keep all my data OS and everything as it is.
>> Is there a way I can transfer this from these disks to a new one?
>>
>> Andy
>>

>connect the old drive up to a spare ide cable in the new one and just
>file copy the info over from windows. There are dedicated solutions
>involving additional hard/software, but this is about the fastest and
>easiest to do. if you unsure on how to connect the drive, ask here and
>someone can help.

That's not gonna work if you want to keep the OS.
You can do it with XXCopy ( freeware ), but it's complicated - and I
think the OP would be better off shelling out for a copy of Norton
Ghost, or a similar imaging utility.

It's worth checking any motherboard driver cds you might have knocking
about - Ghost is often supplied as a freebie utility.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Go to the Maxtor web site and download the free utiltiy . Think it is
Maxiblast.