WLAN novice with connection problem

I wish to connect my desktop PC and my new notebook wirelessly such that I
can exchange files between the two machines and access the Internet from my
laptop through my PC which is hooked up to my ISP via a DSL connection.

My PC (late model 3 GHz Pentium 4) runs XP Home and is equipped with a PRISM
802.11g WLAN adapter.

My notebook (1.73 GHz Centrino) runs XP Professional and is fitted with an
Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG WLAN adapter.

I have the latest drivers installed for both WLAN adapters and both adapters
can be configured through Windows.

My first questions is: Can I connect the two machines given the available
hard- and software or am I already missing something here (such as a router)?

Even though I managed to successfully run the Wireless Connection Wizard and
create a wireless network on both machines, I can’t get them to connect or
even find each other (“no wireless networks found in range� – even though the
machines are sitting on top of each other).

In fact, I can’t seem to activate the WLAN adapters (where is that “wireless
switch� on my computer that I am supposed to switch on), yet they are both
reported functioning properly (as “enabled� and “working properly�) in the
device manager.

Any idea anybody what is going on here – even if it is just my ignorance?

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

It would be preferable to buy a wireless router. However you should be able
to do what you're trying. Firstly, both wireless cards need to be set to
ad-hoc (rather than infrastructure) for the PC to PC wireless network
connection. To share the Internet access, you need set up Internet
Connection Sharing on the desktop.