New AMD64 system, slow?

I have built my first complete system...
MSI K8N Neo Platinum 754
AMD 64 2800
2x512 MB Micron pc-3200 DDR 400
MSI GeForce FX 5200 128MB
1 WD 120GB SATA
Liteon CD/DVD ROM
Mad Dog 8x dual layer DVDCDRW
Planar PL190M 19" LCD
Windows XP Pro, Current except for SP2
Coolermaster Centurion Case/350watt PS

Now, after a couple of bad WD HDD'S no other problems, except for the fact
that this system is slow. I did a 3Dmark benchmark2001 and got a score of
5415. What i notice is that applications are slow to load, I.E I double
click on Firefox or IE and it takes up to several seconds to load. I
honestly think these apps loaded on my 800 Celeron system

The only piece that came out of my old system is the Graphics card, which I
THOUGHT was decent, but I am finding out different. Could my current card
be that detrimental the overall performance of this system?

Some additional information.
The system boots very quickly.
All drivers have been updated, bios is current.
I have run memtest86 to 2900% (+/-) with NO errors.
Prime95 ran for 18 hours at priority 10 with no errors.

I guess I really am looking for direction as to what I may look for.
Any suggestions on where to start?
Thanks
Brandon

"Brandon" <bnd-66@cox.netThefish> wrote in message
>I have built my first complete system...
> MSI K8N Neo Platinum 754
> AMD 64 2800
> 2x512 MB Micron pc-3200 DDR 400
> MSI GeForce FX 5200 128MB
> 1 WD 120GB SATA
> Liteon CD/DVD ROM
> Mad Dog 8x dual layer DVDCDRW
> Planar PL190M 19" LCD
> Windows XP Pro, Current except for SP2
> Coolermaster Centurion Case/350watt PS
>
> Now, after a couple of bad WD HDD'S no other problems, except for the fact
> that this system is slow. I did a 3Dmark benchmark2001 and got a score of
> 5415. What i notice is that applications are slow to load, I.E I double
> click on Firefox or IE and it takes up to several seconds to load. I
> honestly think these apps loaded on my 800 Celeron system
>
> The only piece that came out of my old system is the Graphics card, which
> THOUGHT was decent, but I am finding out different. Could my current card
> be that detrimental the overall performance of this system?
>
> Some additional information.
> The system boots very quickly.
> All drivers have been updated, bios is current.
> I have run memtest86 to 2900% (+/-) with NO errors.
> Prime95 ran for 18 hours at priority 10 with no errors.
>
> I guess I really am looking for direction as to what I may look for.
> Any suggestions on where to start?
> Thanks
> Brandon

Assuming that it is the Mozilla(sp) Foxfire that you are talking about, I
would consider removing it to see if IE is a little snappier.
Would also look into the internet connection to be sure the correct protocol
and only the correct protocol is installed.

Since problem seems to be only with the browsers, perhaps you could tell us
how you connect to the internet ( DSL or Cable etal).

You didn't mention any installed virus software. The prime culprit
JPS

"jpsga" <jpsga@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Brandon" <bnd-66@cox.netThefish> wrote in message
> >I have built my first complete system...
> > MSI K8N Neo Platinum 754
> > AMD 64 2800
> > 2x512 MB Micron pc-3200 DDR 400
> > MSI GeForce FX 5200 128MB
> > 1 WD 120GB SATA
> > Liteon CD/DVD ROM
> > Mad Dog 8x dual layer DVDCDRW
> > Planar PL190M 19" LCD
> > Windows XP Pro, Current except for SP2
> > Coolermaster Centurion Case/350watt PS
> >
> > Now, after a couple of bad WD HDD'S no other problems, except for the
fact
> > that this system is slow. I did a 3Dmark benchmark2001 and got a score
of
> > 5415. What i notice is that applications are slow to load, I.E I double
> > click on Firefox or IE and it takes up to several seconds to load. I
> > honestly think these apps loaded on my 800 Celeron system
> >
> > The only piece that came out of my old system is the Graphics card,
which
> > THOUGHT was decent, but I am finding out different. Could my current
card
> > be that detrimental the overall performance of this system?
> >
> > Some additional information.
> > The system boots very quickly.
> > All drivers have been updated, bios is current.
> > I have run memtest86 to 2900% (+/-) with NO errors.
> > Prime95 ran for 18 hours at priority 10 with no errors.
> >
> > I guess I really am looking for direction as to what I may look for.
> > Any suggestions on where to start?
> > Thanks
> > Brandon
> >

> Assuming that it is the Mozilla(sp) Foxfire that you are talking about, I
> would consider removing it to see if IE is a little snappier.
> Would also look into the internet connection to be sure the correct
protocol
> and only the correct protocol is installed.
>
> Since problem seems to be only with the browsers, perhaps you could tell
us
> how you connect to the internet ( DSL or Cable etal).

> You didn't mention any installed virus software. The prime culprit
> JPS

Sorry I did not clarify and used only the browsers as examples...Most any
app is slow to load. This problem was present before I installed mozilla
firefox.
I am on cable andi do have Norton system works 2004 installed : /

Thanks for the reply

> "jpsga" <jpsga@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Brandon" <bnd-66@cox.netThefish> wrote in message
>> >I have built my first complete system...
>> > MSI K8N Neo Platinum 754
>> > AMD 64 2800
>> > 2x512 MB Micron pc-3200 DDR 400
>> > MSI GeForce FX 5200 128MB
>> > 1 WD 120GB SATA
>> > Liteon CD/DVD ROM
>> > Mad Dog 8x dual layer DVDCDRW
>> > Planar PL190M 19" LCD
>> > Windows XP Pro, Current except for SP2
>> > Coolermaster Centurion Case/350watt PS
>> >
>> > Now, after a couple of bad WD HDD'S no other problems, except for the
> fact
>> > that this system is slow. I did a 3Dmark benchmark2001 and got a score
> of
>> > 5415. What i notice is that applications are slow to load, I.E I
>> > double
>> > click on Firefox or IE and it takes up to several seconds to load. I
>> > honestly think these apps loaded on my 800 Celeron system
>> >
>> > The only piece that came out of my old system is the Graphics card,
> which
>> > THOUGHT was decent, but I am finding out different. Could my current
> card
>> > be that detrimental the overall performance of this system?
>> >
>> > Some additional information.
>> > The system boots very quickly.
>> > All drivers have been updated, bios is current.
>> > I have run memtest86 to 2900% (+/-) with NO errors.
>> > Prime95 ran for 18 hours at priority 10 with no errors.
>> >
>> > I guess I really am looking for direction as to what I may look for.
>> > Any suggestions on where to start?
>> > Thanks
>> > Brandon
>> >

>> Assuming that it is the Mozilla(sp) Foxfire that you are talking about, I
>> would consider removing it to see if IE is a little snappier.
>> Would also look into the internet connection to be sure the correct
> protocol
>> and only the correct protocol is installed.
>>
>> Since problem seems to be only with the browsers, perhaps you could tell
> us
>> how you connect to the internet ( DSL or Cable etal).
>
>> You didn't mention any installed virus software. The prime culprit
>> JPS
>
> Sorry I did not clarify and used only the browsers as examples...Most any
> app is slow to load. This problem was present before I installed mozilla
> firefox.
> I am on cable andi do have Norton system works 2004 installed : /
>
> Thanks for the reply

Well, consider runnig msconfig. The Startup tab allows you Disable All .
Disable them all and reboot and check on IE for speed. If that works,
re-enable them one at a time.
JPS

I'd think that you might be creating a bottleneck with that graphics card.
I mean, how does the speed WITH the card compare with the board's native
graphic output?

I have the same card. It did wonders for an 800Mhz system, but crippled a
2.4GHz system.

Give the card to something that needs it!