ide 80 conductor cable

i have a dvd-rom drive and a dvd rewriter on my secondary ide
connected to the motherboard by a 40 conductor cable. i want to
change the cable to an 80 conductor. if the rewriter drive is jumpered
as master and the reader drive as slave does it matter which one is
connected to the black or grey terminals of the ide cable? TIA.

Dee

ernie mendoza wrote:

> i have a dvd-rom drive and a dvd rewriter on my secondary ide
> connected to the motherboard by a 40 conductor cable. i want to
> change the cable to an 80 conductor. if the rewriter drive is jumpered
> as master and the reader drive as slave does it matter which one is
> connected to the black or grey terminals of the ide cable? TIA.

As far as I know, the drive that is 'master' must be connected to the
plug at the end of the cable, and the 'slave' must be connected to the
second plug from the end.

I don't think the color is relevant because I have seen cables with
three black plugs and I have seen cables with three gray plugs. Think
you can even get them in other colors.

Philo

"Dee" <dee@home.net> wrote in message
> ernie mendoza wrote:
>
>> i have a dvd-rom drive and a dvd rewriter on my secondary ide
>> connected to the motherboard by a 40 conductor cable. i want to
>> change the cable to an 80 conductor. if the rewriter drive is jumpered
>> as master and the reader drive as slave does it matter which one is
>> connected to the black or grey terminals of the ide cable? TIA.
>
> As far as I know, the drive that is 'master' must be connected to the plug
> at the end of the cable, and the 'slave' must be connected to the second
> plug from the end.

that's just true if the devices are jumpered as cable select
otherwise it does not make any difference

Dee

philo wrote:
> "Dee" <dee@home.net> wrote in message
>
>>ernie mendoza wrote:
>>

>>>i have a dvd-rom drive and a dvd rewriter on my secondary ide
>>>connected to the motherboard by a 40 conductor cable. i want to
>>>change the cable to an 80 conductor. if the rewriter drive is jumpered
>>>as master and the reader drive as slave does it matter which one is
>>>connected to the black or grey terminals of the ide cable? TIA.
>>
>>As far as I know, the drive that is 'master' must be connected to the plug
>>at the end of the cable, and the 'slave' must be connected to the second
>>plug from the end.
>>

> that's just true if the devices are jumpered as cable select
> otherwise it does not make any difference

I know from experience that CSEL isn't that simple. According to the
following page you need a CSEL cable:

http://www.mikeshardware.com/howtos/howto_connect_ide_hd.html

The following is under Notes:

The standard 40-wire ATA ribbon cable and the 80-wire cable give
different drive behavior when using Cable Select. If using the standard
40-wire cable, the Master goes in the middle connector and the Slave
goes in the end connector. If using the 80-wire cable, attach the blue
end connector to the system board or host controller, the gray middle
connector to the Slave, and the black end connector to the Master.

All newer IDE/EIDE hard drives can be jumpered as Cable Select (CS or
CSEL). This is an alternate way to indicate which drive is master and
which drive is slave (instead of jumpering one drive as master and one
drive as slave). Cable Select jumpering requires a special IDE cable
with wire 28 not connected to one of the drive connectors, which would
configure the drive attached to that connector as the slave drive.

Cable Select jumpering is not widely used now, but may become more
common as things move more towards Plug and Play, as this is part of the
ATA PnP standard and Microsoft's PC97 standard. The idea is that drives
can be installed easily without having to change jumpers on two drives
anytime a drive is installed or removed. Cable Select is defined in the
ATA-2 and ATA-3 specifications.

In order to use Cable Select jumpering, several conditions must be met.
Both drives on a channel must support CSEL, both drives must be jumpered
as CSEL, a CSEL cable must be used, and the host interface connector
must support CSEL. For the host interface to support Cable Select, wire
28 must be grounded.

Although the Cable Select specification may simplify things in the
future, there will probably be lots of confusion, especially on legacy
systems, as this starts to be introduced. One problem will be in
selecting the correct cable. Supposedly, the cables used for Cable
Select will be clearly marked, with each connector labeled as Device 0
(or Master) or Device 1 (or Slave). If not clearly marked, it may not be
easy to identify a CSEL cable visually. wire 28 can be checked for
continuity.

A Cable Select cable can be constructed in various ways. Pin 28 may be
non connected to the connector at the end of the cable or to the
connector in the middle of the cable. Another design would have the host
interface connector in the middle and the two drives would plug into
each end of the cable, with the connector at one of the ends not
connected to pin 28.

If both drives are set for CSEL and the host interface supports CSEL,
but a regular cable is used, both drives will be seen as master.

A Cable Select cable can be used with master/slave drive jumpering.

Another problem will be with host interfaces on legacy motherboards and
controller cards. If pin 28 is not grounded on the host interface,
drives connected to either connector on the CSEL cable will be seen as
slave. It will be common to find that pin 28 is open or high on many
older IDE interfaces. This can be checked with a voltmeter.

Installing the 80-Conductor IDE Cable
The 40-pin 80-conductor cable is orientation specific. The cable
connectors are color-coded: blue for the host connector, black and gray
for the primary and secondary disk drives. The blue connector should be
installed into the Primary IDE connector.

Dee

philo wrote:

> "Dee" <dee@home.net> wrote in message
>
>>ernie mendoza wrote:
>>

>>>i have a dvd-rom drive and a dvd rewriter on my secondary ide
>>>connected to the motherboard by a 40 conductor cable. i want to
>>>change the cable to an 80 conductor. if the rewriter drive is jumpered
>>>as master and the reader drive as slave does it matter which one is
>>>connected to the black or grey terminals of the ide cable? TIA.
>>
>>As far as I know, the drive that is 'master' must be connected to the plug
>>at the end of the cable, and the 'slave' must be connected to the second
>>plug from the end.
>>

> that's just true if the devices are jumpered as cable select
> otherwise it does not make any difference

This one actually shows a picture of a CSEL cable and also states the
"maaster" goes on the end of the cable:

http://kimihia.org.nz/articles/hdcables/

ernie mendoza wrote:
> i have a dvd-rom drive and a dvd rewriter on my secondary ide
> connected to the motherboard by a 40 conductor cable. i want to
> change the cable to an 80 conductor. if the rewriter drive is jumpered
> as master and the reader drive as slave does it matter which one is
> connected to the black or grey terminals of the ide cable? TIA.
No, it does not matter. You are all set. I always advise people not to
screw with cable select. It is too inflexible. You find yourself
screwing around moving drives just so the cable fits. That is total
nonsense.

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 22:07:20 -0500, tomcas
<tomcas@mjwebsitedesign.com> wrote:

>ernie mendoza wrote:
>> i have a dvd-rom drive and a dvd rewriter on my secondary ide
>> connected to the motherboard by a 40 conductor cable. i want to
>> change the cable to an 80 conductor. if the rewriter drive is jumpered
>> as master and the reader drive as slave does it matter which one is
>> connected to the black or grey terminals of the ide cable? TIA.
>No, it does not matter. You are all set. I always advise people not to
>screw with cable select. It is too inflexible. You find yourself
>screwing around moving drives just so the cable fits. That is total
>nonsense.

thanks. I suspected as much.

> i want to
> change the cable to an 80 conductor

Whats the advantage to changing to to an 80 conductor cable for DVD/CD
drives?

elziko wrote:
>>i want to
>>change the cable to an 80 conductor
>

> Whats the advantage to changing to to an 80 conductor cable for DVD/CD
> drives?

Reduced chance of errors. I know, you shouldn't need it for optical
drives but many people have found it fixed the problem of windows
automatically kicking down the UDMA speed after detecting several errors.

ernie mendoza wrote:

> i have a dvd-rom drive and a dvd rewriter on my secondary ide
> connected to the motherboard by a 40 conductor cable. i want to
> change the cable to an 80 conductor. if the rewriter drive is jumpered
> as master and the reader drive as slave does it matter which one is
> connected to the black or grey terminals of the ide cable? TIA.
The Cables with the different colored connectors are suppose to be Cable
Select cables. With Cable select the position on the cable determines
the order in which the optical drives will be assigned a drive letter.
In XP you can change that usually. I would try to use cable select and
just see if your motherboard likes that setting. With optical drives it
is hit and miss at best. In the BIOS you might be able to just assign
the order regardless of the position on the cable if you set one to
master and one to slave.

It can be a lot of trouble if you have to remove the drives to reset the
jumpers.

All of this is kind of hit and miss.

I think the connector on the end is primary and the middle is slave.

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 14:48:17 -0000, "elziko"
<elziko@NOTSPAMMINGyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>> i want to
>> change the cable to an 80 conductor
>
>Whats the advantage to changing to to an 80 conductor cable for DVD/CD
>drives?

ever since i put in a pioneer 107 dvd writer i get the message "no
secondary ide 80 conductor cable" at bootup. so i presume the system
wants the 80 conductor cable which i already use with my hard drive.
i don't know if the dvd/cd drives will perform any better with it.
perhaps someone more knowlegeable than i can offer an explanation.

Last Boy Scout wrote:
> ernie mendoza wrote:
>
>> i have a dvd-rom drive and a dvd rewriter on my secondary ide
>> connected to the motherboard by a 40 conductor cable. i want to
>> change the cable to an 80 conductor. if the rewriter drive is jumpered
>> as master and the reader drive as slave does it matter which one is
>> connected to the black or grey terminals of the ide cable? TIA.
>
> The Cables with the different colored connectors are suppose to be Cable
> Select cables. With Cable select the position on the cable determines
> the order in which the optical drives will be assigned a drive letter.
> In XP you can change that usually. I would try to use cable select and
> just see if your motherboard likes that setting. With optical drives it
> is hit and miss at best. In the BIOS you might be able to just assign
> the order regardless of the position on the cable if you set one to
> master and one to slave.
>
> It can be a lot of trouble if you have to remove the drives to reset the
> jumpers.
Rarely do I have to remove the drives to change the jumpers, but I
always do if the cable won't fit in the order that cable select requires.

> All of this is kind of hit and miss.
It is definitely not hit and miss with jumpers, you get what you choose.

> I think the connector on the end is primary and the middle is slave.
I think the terminology is master and slave for the cable connector
position, and primary and secondary for the motherboard /IDE bus.