Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Updates at shut down

Last response: in Windows 7
February 25, 2011 2:09:42 AM

I just recently installed windows 7 ultimate..and everytime I shutdown the computer it automatically installs updates and I do not want that at all...please help me disable this feature..I dont want any updates installed at all without my consent..nor do I want the pc to do any updating before shutting down..Thank you :) 

More about : updates shut

Related resources
February 25, 2011 4:18:18 PM

I pretty much did all of that...however, when shutting down the computer it still says its installing "1 of 1" updates, whatever that means
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 25, 2011 4:46:49 PM

It could be that you had an update downloaded before you disabled automatic updates.
If you have since disabled auto updates you should not receive any further.

That being said, you really should leave the updates enabled.
Without the latest updates your system is potentially vulnerable to viruses, spyware, etc..
m
l
February 25, 2011 5:49:09 PM

I suppose...well, I appreciate your help
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
February 25, 2011 6:17:01 PM

I suggest you set windows update to notify you of updates, but not install them.
You can even get the updates downloaded ahead of install time.

When you get the notification at shutdown that windows wants to install updates, you can still shutdown without installing them.

I always install the updates a bit later, so I can monitor what is going on.

I also want to avoid updates if I have something critical going on.

That said, they usually go on clean, and it is worth updating asap.
February 25, 2011 6:28:54 PM

Best answer selected by asantesoul.
m
l
February 14, 2013 10:15:43 AM

If the automobile went the way of Microsoft....one model year would have the steering wheel in a completely different location, the knobs would have unfamiliar names in which a class at the local community college would be available to relearn how to operate them...and if you wanted cruise control, you would have to pay for the license to enable features as such.
m
l
!