Hardware Upgrade and WinXP

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,uk.local.glasgow (More info?)

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a query regarding replacing
hardware...

I am running Windows XP Professional SP1, and just bought a new Processor
and Motherboard.
The system as is is pretty stable, and no real conflicts, the proc and mobo
are just a bit dated now.

Is it simply a matter of replacing things, switching back on, and installing
the drivers for the new mobo?
Or is there a sinister evil awaiting me if I do that?

Someone mentioned that Windows will want to register the hardware changes
online and that you can only do this a certain number of times?

Any help appreciated.

thanks in advance
biz

Philo

"\¯`·.¸biz¸.·´¯/" <sook@ma.baws.net> wrote in message
>I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a query regarding
>replacing
> hardware...
>
> I am running Windows XP Professional SP1, and just bought a new Processor
> and Motherboard.
> The system as is is pretty stable, and no real conflicts, the proc and
> mobo
> are just a bit dated now.
>
> Is it simply a matter of replacing things, switching back on, and
> installing
> the drivers for the new mobo?
> Or is there a sinister evil awaiting me if I do that?
>
> Someone mentioned that Windows will want to register the hardware changes
> online and that you can only do this a certain number of times?

if you make considerable changes to your hardware
XP will either bootup and automatically reconfigure
or it will crash and not bootup at all...
if the latter...
you will need to boot with your XP cd and perform a repair installation...
then apply your updates (might as well go to sp2)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,uk.local.glasgow (More info?)

If you replace the motherboard in a system running Windows, then you MUST
reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise you will
notice ongoing nasty Registry errors and data corruption.

--
DaveW

"\¯`·.¸biz¸.·´¯/" <sook@ma.baws.net> wrote in message
>I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a query regarding
>replacing
> hardware...
>
> I am running Windows XP Professional SP1, and just bought a new Processor
> and Motherboard.
> The system as is is pretty stable, and no real conflicts, the proc and
> mobo
> are just a bit dated now.
>
> Is it simply a matter of replacing things, switching back on, and
> installing
> the drivers for the new mobo?
> Or is there a sinister evil awaiting me if I do that?
>
> Someone mentioned that Windows will want to register the hardware changes
> online and that you can only do this a certain number of times?
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> thanks in advance
> biz

kmm

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2005
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,uk.local.glasgow (More info?)

"\¯`·.¸biz¸.·´¯/" <sook@ma.baws.net> wrote in message

> Someone mentioned that Windows will want to register the hardware changes
> online and that you can only do this a certain number of times?

You can do it as much as you need to. Obviously M$ might not take too kindly
to a MB or HDD change once a week, which is what it is designed to stop
happening, then its not an issue.

K.

> If you replace the motherboard in a system running Windows, then you MUST
> reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise you
> will notice ongoing nasty Registry errors and data corruption.

Well, not really. I replaced an old Abit BE6II v1.1. with a v2 (RAID)
running Win98SE and it not only didn't know the difference but is still
running today two years later. If the chipset is different you will need to
perform a repair install of Windows, not requiring a reformat of the HD or
fresh reinstall, and either way it will pick up the new hardware as it is
booting.

If I was doing this again and replacing the board with something similar,
including the same chipset, I'd uninstall all hardware on the old board not
reproduced on the new, then let XP pick up the new devices on the fly.

DaveW wrote:
> If you replace the motherboard in a system running Windows, then you MUST
> reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise you will
> notice ongoing nasty Registry errors and data corruption.

And again Dave W repeats the same nonsense.

Bob Davis wrote:

> "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
>
>> If you replace the motherboard in a system running Windows, then you
>> MUST reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS.
>> Otherwise you will notice ongoing nasty Registry errors and data
>> corruption.
>

> Well, not really. I replaced an old Abit BE6II v1.1. with a v2 (RAID)
> running Win98SE and it not only didn't know the difference but is still
> running today two years later. If the chipset is different you will
> need to perform a repair install of Windows, not requiring a reformat of
> the HD or fresh reinstall, and either way it will pick up the new
> hardware as it is booting.
>
> If I was doing this again and replacing the board with something
> similar, including the same chipset, I'd uninstall all hardware on the
> old board not reproduced on the new, then let XP pick up the new devices
> on the fly.

Don't bother. Many people have told Dave W many times how to do it and the
brainless puppet keeps repeating that stupid nonsense nevertheless.

\¯`·.¸biz¸.·´¯/ wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a query regarding replacing
> hardware...
>
> I am running Windows XP Professional SP1, and just bought a new Processor
> and Motherboard.
> The system as is is pretty stable, and no real conflicts, the proc and mobo
> are just a bit dated now.
>
> Is it simply a matter of replacing things, switching back on, and installing
> the drivers for the new mobo?
> Or is there a sinister evil awaiting me if I do that?
>
> Someone mentioned that Windows will want to register the hardware changes
> online and that you can only do this a certain number of times?
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> thanks in advance
> biz

When you change motherboards you need to do a repair reinstall so it can
redetect and configure your new hardware.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,uk.local.glasgow (More info?)

I replaced an asus p2b board with a gigabyte ga 6bxd twin cpu board......I
changed the mb cpu`s and ram

It loaded windows and it was fascinating to watch as it reloaded everything
it needed and kept you informed with the bubble messages...it took 20-30mins
to complete.

The pc has ran perfect ever since.

If it doesnt work then do a repair install as someone else suggested!

> If you replace the motherboard in a system running Windows, then you MUST
> reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise you
will
> notice ongoing nasty Registry errors and data corruption.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "\¯`·.¸biz¸.·´¯/" <sook@ma.baws.net> wrote in message
> >I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a query regarding
> >replacing
> > hardware...
> >
> > I am running Windows XP Professional SP1, and just bought a new
Processor
> > and Motherboard.
> > The system as is is pretty stable, and no real conflicts, the proc and
> > mobo
> > are just a bit dated now.
> >
> > Is it simply a matter of replacing things, switching back on, and
> > installing
> > the drivers for the new mobo?
> > Or is there a sinister evil awaiting me if I do that?
> >
> > Someone mentioned that Windows will want to register the hardware
changes
> > online and that you can only do this a certain number of times?
> >
> > Any help appreciated.
> >
> > thanks in advance
> > biz

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,uk.local.glasgow (More info?)

no you dont!

Ginchy wrote:

> no you dont!

You have a point. Not if you put in a new motherboard with exactly the same
chipset as the previous one.

If the chipset is different you need to do a repair reinstall (or wipe it
out and do a new install).