"Bad" RAM?

AT post this is what I see...

Phoenix AwardBIOS v 6.00PG
W7030NMS V1.4082604 20:56:50
Memory information: DDR 400 Memory clock is : 200 MHZ
Tcl: 3 Trcd: 2 Tras: 5 Trp: 2 ( 2T Timing).
This is 2x512 Micron DDR400 RAM on an MSI K8N Neo platinum Board with an AMD
64 2800
SO, what does that tell you(me)?
Anything I can adjust in bIOS?
Thanks

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 14:58:31 -0700, "Brandon"
<bnd-66@cox.netThefish> wrote:

>AT post this is what I see...
>
>Phoenix AwardBIOS v 6.00PG
>W7030NMS V1.4082604 20:56:50
>Memory information: DDR 400 Memory clock is : 200 MHZ
>Tcl: 3 Trcd: 2 Tras: 5 Trp: 2 ( 2T Timing).
>This is 2x512 Micron DDR400 RAM on an MSI K8N Neo platinum Board with an AMD
>64 2800
>SO, what does that tell you(me)?
>Anything I can adjust in bIOS?
>Thanks

It tells you the memory is running at moderately tight
timings. The board should be set to use auto/spd memory
timings and other defaults unless you have specific reason
to change them.

"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 14:58:31 -0700, "Brandon"
> <bnd-66@cox.netThefish> wrote:
>
> >AT post this is what I see...
> >
> >Phoenix AwardBIOS v 6.00PG
> >W7030NMS V1.4082604 20:56:50
> >Memory information: DDR 400 Memory clock is : 200 MHZ
> >Tcl: 3 Trcd: 2 Tras: 5 Trp: 2 ( 2T Timing).
> >This is 2x512 Micron DDR400 RAM on an MSI K8N Neo platinum Board with an
AMD
> >64 2800
> >SO, what does that tell you(me)?
> >Anything I can adjust in bIOS?
> >Thanks
> >

> It tells you the memory is running at moderately tight
> timings. The board should be set to use auto/spd memory
> timings and other defaults unless you have specific reason
> to change them.

I appreciate the reply, what exactly does "tight" timings mean?
Does this mean lower performance? I will check and see what is set to "auto"
and post back.

Thanks again

"Brandon" <bnd-66@cox.netThefish> wrote in message

> "kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> > On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 14:58:31 -0700, "Brandon"
> > <bnd-66@cox.netThefish> wrote:
> >
> > >AT post this is what I see...
> > >
> > >Phoenix AwardBIOS v 6.00PG
> > >W7030NMS V1.4082604 20:56:50
> > >Memory information: DDR 400 Memory clock is : 200 MHZ
> > >Tcl: 3 Trcd: 2 Tras: 5 Trp: 2 ( 2T Timing).
> > >This is 2x512 Micron DDR400 RAM on an MSI K8N Neo platinum Board with
an
> AMD
> > >64 2800
> > >SO, what does that tell you(me)?
> > >Anything I can adjust in bIOS?
> > >Thanks
> > >

> > It tells you the memory is running at moderately tight
> > timings. The board should be set to use auto/spd memory
> > timings and other defaults unless you have specific reason
> > to change them.
>
> I appreciate the reply, what exactly does "tight" timings mean?
> Does this mean lower performance? I will check and see what is set to
"auto"
> and post back.
>
> Thanks again

Alright, I set everything to auto and changed the timing to 1T and rebooted.
In POST...
this...
Tcl: 3 Trcd: 2 Tras: 5 Trp: 2 ( 2T Timing).
Changed to this...
Tcl: 3 Trcd: 3 Tras: 8 Trp: 3 ( 1T Timing).

What in effect has this done and what does it tell you( me) about my RAM?
I am concerned that I have purchased some sub par performing sticks,
anything you can offer?

Also, within the "cell" menu of my bios I ran across the following...
and wonder if I should set these to auto as well...

CPU voltage currently at 1.55
Memory voltage currently at 2.55
AGP voltage currently at 1.55
AGP frequency currently at 66 ( I am running and FX5200, I know, cringe)
CPU FSB currently at 200
And what is spread spectrum?( its disabled now).
Thanks much for the input.

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 04:29:22 -0700, "Brandon"
<bnd-66@cox.netThefish> wrote:

>"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 14:58:31 -0700, "Brandon"
>> <bnd-66@cox.netThefish> wrote:
>>
>> >AT post this is what I see...
>> >
>> >Phoenix AwardBIOS v 6.00PG
>> >W7030NMS V1.4082604 20:56:50
>> >Memory information: DDR 400 Memory clock is : 200 MHZ
>> >Tcl: 3 Trcd: 2 Tras: 5 Trp: 2 ( 2T Timing).
>> >This is 2x512 Micron DDR400 RAM on an MSI K8N Neo platinum Board with an
>AMD
>> >64 2800
>> >SO, what does that tell you(me)?
>> >Anything I can adjust in bIOS?
>> >Thanks
>> >

>> It tells you the memory is running at moderately tight
>> timings. The board should be set to use auto/spd memory
>> timings and other defaults unless you have specific reason
>> to change them.
>
>I appreciate the reply, what exactly does "tight" timings mean?
>Does this mean lower performance? I will check and see what is set to "auto"
>and post back.
>
>Thanks again

No, tight as-in, quick.
The motherboard makes the ultimate determination of the
timings to use in auto/SPD mode... it (should) read SPD then
proceed from there to set it's timings. Trying to force
memory to run at it's manufacturer spec'd timings "can"
cause errors because that is only the memory being spec'd,
the conbination of the two (mem & board) must run at highest
common timings supported.... or you might be able to set it
manually of course but you're taking stability and testing
into your own hands.

Test either way, at least memtest86 for several hours.

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 04:46:43 -0700, "Brandon"
<bnd-66@cox.netThefish> wrote:

>Alright, I set everything to auto and changed the timing to 1T and rebooted.
>In POST...
>this...
>Tcl: 3 Trcd: 2 Tras: 5 Trp: 2 ( 2T Timing).
>Changed to this...
>Tcl: 3 Trcd: 3 Tras: 8 Trp: 3 ( 1T Timing).
>
>What in effect has this done and what does it tell you( me) about my RAM?
>I am concerned that I have purchased some sub par performing sticks,
>anything you can offer?

It only tells you what the motherboard chose. I cannot
second-guess your motherboard bios engineers' chosen
timings. Either they work or don't, either they're too
relaxed or not... It "could" happen if you had poor modules
but is not a direct evidence of it at all.

>Also, within the "cell" menu of my bios I ran across the following...
>and wonder if I should set these to auto as well...
>
>CPU voltage currently at 1.55
>Memory voltage currently at 2.55
>AGP voltage currently at 1.55
>AGP frequency currently at 66 ( I am running and FX5200, I know, cringe)
>CPU FSB currently at 200
>And what is spread spectrum?( its disabled now).
>Thanks much for the input.

If you've been changing settings and know not which should
be changed, it could be best to clear CMOS and load the
setup defaults. Those are generally the most stable &
conservative settings. Then change any as you see need,
nothing any stability problems. "Usually" a board will have
"auto" or "default" (or similar) setting for CPU voltage,
sometimes for memory and AGP too. If you've not changed
those, leave them alone. However, your memory may have
higher than 2.55V specified in other to run stabily at it's
spec'd timings... that doesn't mean raising the memory
voltage alone would make it run faster, but if you (or the
board) attempted speeds that are needing higher voltage,
that might be something to change... Often PC3200/DDR400
memory runs at 2.6V, and overclockers may push it up to 2.7,
2.8, and beyond but that's not something that seems
appropriate at this time.

Disable spread spectrum unless you find nearby equipment
picking up noise as a result... flipping the setting on and
off it would be easy enough to tell if it made a difference
in noise on other devices.

> On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 04:46:43 -0700, "Brandon"
> <bnd-66@cox.netThefish> wrote:
>

> >Alright, I set everything to auto and changed the timing to 1T and
rebooted.
> >In POST...
> >this...
> >Tcl: 3 Trcd: 2 Tras: 5 Trp: 2 ( 2T Timing).
> >Changed to this...
> >Tcl: 3 Trcd: 3 Tras: 8 Trp: 3 ( 1T Timing).
> >
> >What in effect has this done and what does it tell you( me) about my RAM?
> >I am concerned that I have purchased some sub par performing sticks,
> >anything you can offer?
>
> It only tells you what the motherboard chose. I cannot
> second-guess your motherboard bios engineers' chosen
> timings. Either they work or don't, either they're too
> relaxed or not... It "could" happen if you had poor modules
> but is not a direct evidence of it at all.

So the settings that the bios chooses are just what it finds to be the most
efficient, or the best for what it "sees" so to speak...
A a general rule...does a higer number or lower number in each of the "T"
settings indicate faster or slower or nothing of the nature?
Basically, will my bios set these in auto to lower( better?) numbers of i
had "better" RAM modules?

> >Also, within the "cell" menu of my bios I ran across the following...
> >and wonder if I should set these to auto as well...
> >
> >CPU voltage currently at 1.55
> >Memory voltage currently at 2.55
> >AGP voltage currently at 1.55
> >AGP frequency currently at 66 ( I am running and FX5200, I know, cringe)
> >CPU FSB currently at 200
> >And what is spread spectrum?( its disabled now).
> >Thanks much for the input.
>
> If you've been changing settings and know not which should
> be changed, it could be best to clear CMOS and load the
> setup defaults. Those are generally the most stable &
> conservative settings. Then change any as you see need,
> nothing any stability problems. "Usually" a board will have
> "auto" or "default" (or similar) setting for CPU voltage,
> sometimes for memory and AGP too. If you've not changed
> those, leave them alone. However, your memory may have
> higher than 2.55V specified in other to run stabily at it's
> spec'd timings... that doesn't mean raising the memory
> voltage alone would make it run faster, but if you (or the
> board) attempted speeds that are needing higher voltage,
> that might be something to change... Often PC3200/DDR400
> memory runs at 2.6V, and overclockers may push it up to 2.7,
> 2.8, and beyond but that's not something that seems
> appropriate at this time.

I havent changed much of anything as far as voltages, thats just where they
were set when i found them, should i just set them to auto?
I infer from most of what you have explained that i would be best off
setting everything i can to auto and allow the BIOS to choose the best
settings.

Thanks again for your time in explaining this to me.

> Disable spread spectrum unless you find nearby equipment
> picking up noise as a result... flipping the setting on and
> off it would be easy enough to tell if it made a difference
> in noise on other devices.

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 15:24:41 -0700, "Brandon"
<bnd-66@cox.netThefish> wrote:

>So the settings that the bios chooses are just what it finds to be the most
>efficient, or the best for what it "sees" so to speak...

Hopefully, yes. A properly working (motherboard) bios will
query the SMBUS to read the memory prom's SPD programmed
info and use the appropriate timings in it's own bios table
which stay within the memory's spec. So, it needs to know
the memory timings the memory manufacturer had programmed
into the module for the "auto" mode but still makes,
controls the resultant timings based upon it's bios logic,
not solely on the memory installed.

>A a general rule...does a higer number or lower number in each of the "T"
>settings indicate faster or slower or nothing of the nature?

Lower numbers are faster, but some make little to no
different in performance, rather stability.

>Basically, will my bios set these in auto to lower( better?) numbers of i
>had "better" RAM modules?

Yes and no. It could, but only within what the board
supports. Plus a board manufacturer will generally err on
the side of conservative/slower timings to keep stability
rather than chance instability for a .5% performance
difference, which is a good thing as many don't thoroughly
test their memory.

>I havent changed much of anything as far as voltages, thats just where they
>were set when i found them, should i just set them to auto?

Set them to the defaults... since you didn't change anything
that should be where they are already, unless someone else
had access to the bios too. Consult the hardware specs to
determine the optimal voltage for CPU, memory, etc, if you
want to double-check the present or auto settings to confirm
they're correct, which they usually are.

>I infer from most of what you have explained that i would be best off
>setting everything i can to auto and allow the BIOS to choose the best
>settings.

Yes except where something seems wrong. Let the board
decide what to do then check it's choices, and/or test
stability.

Pardon the top post...
Thanks for all your help !