IP address issue

I have just bought a Netgear WG614 router with a Netgear WG511. My OS is
WinXP Home SP2.

I am having problems connecting. Sometimes I connect and it can be online
for hours. Other times it keeps cutting out and the only way I can get
back on is to unplug the router for a minute and put it back on. I get
various error messages including:
Limited resources...the network did not assign a network address...
Could not renew IP address

Sometimes it logs on but there is no traffic at all, sometimes I cannot
even log on even though I can see the network when I go to View Available
Wireless Networks

Sorry if I am not including enough details but I am new to this and have
tried to read through the manual and troubleshoot but have found it very
confusing.

My router settings are...
Internet IP Address: get dynamically from ISP
DNS Address: get automaticaly from ISP
Router MAC Address: use default address

I use NTL cable broadband.

Rupert

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"FJDx" <fjdx@invalidemail.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have just bought a Netgear WG614 router with a Netgear WG511. My OS is
> WinXP Home SP2.
>
> I am having problems connecting. Sometimes I connect and it can be online
> for hours. Other times it keeps cutting out and the only way I can get
> back on is to unplug the router for a minute and put it back on. I get
> various error messages including:
> Limited resources...the network did not assign a network address...
> Could not renew IP address
>
> Sometimes it logs on but there is no traffic at all, sometimes I cannot
> even log on even though I can see the network when I go to View Available
> Wireless Networks
>
> Sorry if I am not including enough details but I am new to this and have
> tried to read through the manual and troubleshoot but have found it very
> confusing.
>
> My router settings are...
> Internet IP Address: get dynamically from ISP
> DNS Address: get automaticaly from ISP
> Router MAC Address: use default address
>
> I use NTL cable broadband.

What is your setup? Do you have a wired desktop and a wireless laptop ?
Find out the exact model number of the router --its on the underneath of the
unit.
Log into the router and have a look at the log file which may give some
clues.

Does everything work OK from the wired computer and is your problem just
related to the wireless device.

"rupert" <rupert@onetel.net> wrote in message
> What is your setup? Do you have a wired desktop and a wireless laptop ?
> Find out the exact model number of the router --its on the underneath
> of the unit.
> Log into the router and have a look at the log file which may give some
> clues.
>
> Does everything work OK from the wired computer and is your problem
> just related to the wireless device.

I only have a laptop with a wireless card (no other pcs or laptops). When
it doesn't work on the wireless, sometimes I connect it via an ethernet
cable as backup which has no problems.

No errors as yet tonight, but will check the log file next time it
happens thank you.