Is on-board GFX as good as PCI type GFX for bare basic hom..

HI there..

now trying to fix up a rig for a friend

Due to budget constraint.. l would like to opt for build-in gfx rather
a PCI type.

But the question is : Is the build-in gfx card as good as those PCI
type?? In term of performance and reliablilty ??

Normally what is the memory of these build-in gfx?? (64,128 or higher
MB), the type they use?? (Nvidia, ATI or neither)

As mentioned due to budget constraint and for bare basic family use,
which brand (and model) of mobo should l opt for the value for $$$

thanks for any feedback
BT

__________________

"Black Tractor" <balck-tractor@NOT-VALID_blacktract.net.sg> kirjoitti
viestissä news:cu6606$26k$1@mawar.singnet.com.sg...
> HI there..
>
> now trying to fix up a rig for a friend
>
> Due to budget constraint.. l would like to opt for build-in gfx
rather
> a PCI type.

Why PCI card? Most contemporary motherboards takes AGP gfx cards, which
costs anything from about 30EUR and up (I guess price in US$ is about 1.2*)

> But the question is : Is the build-in gfx card as good as those PCI
> type?? In term of performance and reliablilty ??

That depends on the PCI-gfx-card...
_MOST_ PCI graphics cards are older, so usually an integrated card is at
about the same level (except newer portable machines with graphics
integrated on motherboard, not in chipset.....)

> Normally what is the memory of these build-in gfx?? (64,128 or
higher
> MB), the type they use?? (Nvidia, ATI or neither)

Built-in gfx-cards usually uses system RAM, so a machine with 512MB has
usable RAM on the order of 448-480MB

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 07:01:03 +0800, "Black Tractor"
<balck-tractor@NOT-VALID_blacktract.net.sg> wrote:

> HI there..
>
> now trying to fix up a rig for a friend
>
> Due to budget constraint.. l would like to opt for build-in gfx rather
>a PCI type.

Most would be AGP

> But the question is : Is the build-in gfx card as good as those PCI
>type?? In term of performance and reliablilty ??

Yes, about as good as an external AGP card, except that an external
card will use its own memory and not system memory, as the built-in
will.

> Normally what is the memory of these build-in gfx?? (64,128 or higher
>MB), the type they use?? (Nvidia, ATI or neither)

System memory when the graphics are built into the chipset. I run a
nForce 2 IGP chipset which has a geforce2 MX built in. It uses 32MB
of my system memory.

> As mentioned due to budget constraint and for bare basic family use,
>which brand (and model) of mobo should l opt for the value for $$$

The graphics are decent, and you can even play some older games with
it. Just don't expect to run current games with the setup. If you
don't plan on gaming, then I say the built in GeForce2 MX is a good
video choice. I run a 19" LCD monitor at 1280x1024 without any
problems.

> thanks for any feedback
> BT
>
> __________________

NP

> But the question is : Is the build-in gfx card as good as those PCI
> type?? In term of performance and reliablilty ??

On-board video is fine as long as you don't ask too much of it. For
basic computer use, it will be fine.

> Normally what is the memory of these build-in gfx?? (64,128 or higher
> MB), the type they use?? (Nvidia, ATI or neither)

Many share the system memory, up to a maximum (often 32 or 64 MB).

"Black Tractor" <balck-tractor@NOT-VALID_blacktract.net.sg> wrote in message
> HI there..
>
> now trying to fix up a rig for a friend
>
> Due to budget constraint.. l would like to opt for build-in gfx
rather
> a PCI type.
>
> But the question is : Is the build-in gfx card as good as those PCI
> type?? In term of performance and reliablilty ??
>
> Normally what is the memory of these build-in gfx?? (64,128 or
higher
> MB), the type they use?? (Nvidia, ATI or neither)
>
> As mentioned due to budget constraint and for bare basic family use,
> which brand (and model) of mobo should l opt for the value for $$$
>
> thanks for any feedback
> BT
>
> __________________

The largest on-board memory I have seen so far is about 4MB.
One example is the micro-ATX motherboard, Asus P4R800-VM, with
the video graphic ATI 9200 chip. It is quite good.

It is unknown if the board can use system RAM as supplementary memory;
only some notebooks or laptops are designed to use system memory.

I believe those notebooks have either BIOS or hardware designed specifically
for this aim; but not in the ordinary motherboards found on market.

The on-board video graphic usually serves only basic functions, so for
anything
more than just reading texts or probably surfing Internet, the quality of
screen
is quite bad. Even a cheap oldies PCI 32MB video cards still offer better
screen.

Now probably you can find some second-hand GFX 128MB AGP Ti4200 cards,
at about 70$USD -- 85$USD. They are fast, good enough for games too. And
still can be in service for few more years.

Black Tractor wrote:

> HI there..
>
> now trying to fix up a rig for a friend
>
> Due to budget constraint.. l would like to opt for build-in gfx rather
> a PCI type.
>
> But the question is : Is the build-in gfx card as good as those PCI
> type?? In term of performance and reliablilty ??
>
> Normally what is the memory of these build-in gfx?? (64,128 or higher
> MB), the type they use?? (Nvidia, ATI or neither)
>
> As mentioned due to budget constraint and for bare basic family use,
> which brand (and model) of mobo should l opt for the value for $$$
>
> thanks for any feedback

The only graphics card that uses anything with "PCI" in the title is PCI-Express
(nearly twice the bus speed of AGP). If you want to look at lower end cards,
I'd stick with AGP 4 or 8x. A back of the page PCI-Express card will run about
$85 retail.....but there's always Ebay.....