Power supply value for $

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
February 9, 2005 2:32:58 AM

Will I get value for money with a name brand power supply over a no
name one? I can pay 3x more a one with the more maketing hype. Or will
the extra $ be worth ut?

cheers Kevin

More about : power supply

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
February 9, 2005 2:05:57 PM

On 8 Feb 2005 23:32:58 -0800, kevin_nzl88@hotmail.com (Kevin
K) wrote:

>Will I get value for money with a name brand power supply over a no
>name one?

Yes but it's not just about value for money, it's also about
accurate wattage ratings, safety features and component
quality at least high enough for good lifespan. Power
supplies should be unobtrustive, you're not necessarily
buying "value" rather than needed function per the system.

To put it another way, suppose you buy a 500W generic worth
only 250W. If your system only needed 250W and the
amperage:rail distribution was right you might get good
value from it, accidentally rather than purposefully unless
you knew through testing the exact qualities of brand "x"
generic. This ignores any potential safety features, if
there were a problem there could still be a more costly
recovery from failure of power supply or other components.

>I can pay 3x more a one with the more maketing hype. Or will
>the extra $ be worth ut?

Comparison of specific units must be considered, they can't
simply be lumped together as "3X more... marketing hype" vs.
generic. Some commercially marketed PSU are better than
others. Even more sobering is that most of the best
name-brand power supplies have very little marketing at all,
don't need to be pushed on buyers. Zippy, Delta, Fortron,
et al are not marketed much if at all for retail sales.
Delta is the largest and yet most aren't even familiar with
their products, being found mostly in servers, workstations
and OEM proprietary casing sizes... but due to OEM usage
they have a large PC presence.

It is a question of what you actually get for the money as
much as the amount of $. So yes, it is easily worth 3X, or
even 10,000X more for the better unit _IF_ you need the
wattage. Buying a generic with 550W stamped on it's label
isn't any assurance that is a sustained value rather than a
peak, and such practices should be illegal, IMO.

Applying towards a purchase, determine the needed capacity
per system. If you can't determine whether brand X model Y
is accurately rated for sustained output, you'd then be
gambling on whether it's true output and features are
sufficient. IMO, unless you MUST have fancy eye-candy the
best value on PSU are Sparkle/Fortron, particularly in the
400W-530W range there is nothing of same quality at same (or
lower) price-points when purchased online. In retail stores
the pricing on PSU varies so wildly that it must be
ignored... unless there is an emergency such that a
replacment must be had immediately.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
February 9, 2005 4:04:10 PM

"Kevin K" <kevin_nzl88@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Will I get value for money with a name brand power supply over a no
> name one? I can pay 3x more a one with the more maketing hype. Or will
> the extra $ be worth ut?

Yes.

--
Derek
a b B Homebuilt system

The name brand units (Antec is the best) are built to much higher specs and
more conservatively rated. They use MUCH higher quality parts.

--
DaveW

"Kevin K" <kevin_nzl88@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Will I get value for money with a name brand power supply over a no
> name one? I can pay 3x more a one with the more maketing hype. Or will
> the extra $ be worth ut?
>
> cheers Kevin
February 9, 2005 10:25:31 PM

> The name brand units (Antec is the best) are built to much higher specs and
> more conservatively rated. They use MUCH higher quality parts.

Type "Seasonic" into Google and read the reviews on it. I just
purchased one to replace my Antec.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
February 10, 2005 7:11:42 AM

DaveW wrote:

> The name brand units (Antec is the best) are built to much higher specs and
> more conservatively rated. They use MUCH higher quality parts.

Amusingly enough, the only ATX PSU I've had go belly up was an Antec.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
February 11, 2005 5:15:50 AM

I get kind of miffed about this one. I wish there was a simple way to
benchmark PS output. It seems like a lot of companies cheeze out on the
PS.

Sure, you might have ROOM in the case to expand your system, but you
almost always void your warranty by opening the case, so there's no real
incentive for the manufacturer to provide a healthy power supply for
whatever upgrades you might be considering.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
February 12, 2005 11:05:15 AM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 04:11:42 -0600, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
put finger to keyboard and composed:

>DaveW wrote:
>
>> The name brand units (Antec is the best) are built to much higher specs and
>> more conservatively rated. They use MUCH higher quality parts.
>>

>Amusingly enough, the only ATX PSU I've had go belly up was an Antec.

I'm not surprised. Most people who wax lyrical about "quality" have
never looked beyond the price tag. Their solitary pearl of wisdom is
that tired old mantra, "you get what you pay for". Blah, blah, blah.
Call me a cynic, but I don't see too much difference between a generic
PSU and a supposedly reputable one. I've repaired too much
electronics, of all makes, and in all manner of equipment, at both
ends of the market, to be swayed by hype and FUD.

- Franc Zabkar
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
February 12, 2005 11:05:16 AM

I buy the cheap ones, but I always buy more power than I need. I never buy
anything under 400 Watts and I have not had problems, I have only had the
one for about four to six months, but it works great and it was cheaper than
ones rated less. You get what you pay for, sometimes, but if all else
fails, overbuy. My new computer which I'm building on Monday has a 450 watt
power supply included in the case. But always be careful, if the power
supply is not powerful enough you may have six months of worry free service
and BAM your killing hard drives left and right. A good Seagate may still
be usable, but you will get bad sectors, but the SMART will be OK on the
drive afterwords. Case and point:
My uncle fully loaded his Gateway with a CD Burner and a 20 Gig Hard drive
(I have the hard drive now). But only a 90 Watt power supply.
I am called to fix a video driver problem, find out the OS is screwed up and
reformat to find BAD sectors. He buys and 80 gig maxtor and I installed it.
Four months later System was messed up, formated hard drive, BAD SECTORS
again. I talked to a friend about it and he said it was the power supply.
My uncle and I go on the Internet and buy a 40 Gig drive (he never filled
his 20 Gig), power supply and case fan. Everything was later installed with
no problems (except a power supply screw hole mismatch on the propretary
power supply, but it works). I have only had to get rid of spyware and
install a TV tuner since.
"Franc Zabkar" <fzabkar@optussnet.com.au> wrote in message
news:o 64q01lllkrhpseo0togevi0nksomvmpk5@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 04:11:42 -0600, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
> put finger to keyboard and composed:
>
> >DaveW wrote:
> >
> >> The name brand units (Antec is the best) are built to much higher specs
and
> >> more conservatively rated. They use MUCH higher quality parts.
> >>

> >Amusingly enough, the only ATX PSU I've had go belly up was an Antec.
>
> I'm not surprised. Most people who wax lyrical about "quality" have
> never looked beyond the price tag. Their solitary pearl of wisdom is
> that tired old mantra, "you get what you pay for". Blah, blah, blah.
> Call me a cynic, but I don't see too much difference between a generic
> PSU and a supposedly reputable one. I've repaired too much
> electronics, of all makes, and in all manner of equipment, at both
> ends of the market, to be swayed by hype and FUD.
>

> - Franc Zabkar
> --
> Please remove one 's' from my address when replying by email.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
February 12, 2005 11:05:16 AM

Franc Zabkar wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 04:11:42 -0600, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
> put finger to keyboard and composed:
>

>>DaveW wrote:
>>

>>>The name brand units (Antec is the best) are built to much higher specs and
>>>more conservatively rated. They use MUCH higher quality parts.
>>>

>>Amusingly enough, the only ATX PSU I've had go belly up was an Antec.
>

> I'm not surprised. Most people who wax lyrical about "quality" have
> never looked beyond the price tag. Their solitary pearl of wisdom is
> that tired old mantra, "you get what you pay for". Blah, blah, blah.
> Call me a cynic, but I don't see too much difference between a generic
> PSU and a supposedly reputable one. I've repaired too much
> electronics, of all makes, and in all manner of equipment, at both
> ends of the market, to be swayed by hype and FUD.

Well, one of the biggest problems with 'el-cheapos' is you're seldom, if
ever, getting what you think you are and the wattage ratings on them mean
practically nothing. A "400 watt" labeled el-cheapo can be almost anything,
except 400 watts.
February 15, 2005 12:08:58 AM

I concur, I have a Fortron 530...

"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> On 8 Feb 2005 23:32:58 -0800, kevin_nzl88@hotmail.com (Kevin
> K) wrote:
>
> >Will I get value for money with a name brand power supply over a no
> >name one?
>
> Yes but it's not just about value for money, it's also about
> accurate wattage ratings, safety features and component
> quality at least high enough for good lifespan. Power
> supplies should be unobtrustive, you're not necessarily
> buying "value" rather than needed function per the system.
>
> To put it another way, suppose you buy a 500W generic worth
> only 250W. If your system only needed 250W and the
> amperage:rail distribution was right you might get good
> value from it, accidentally rather than purposefully unless
> you knew through testing the exact qualities of brand "x"
> generic. This ignores any potential safety features, if
> there were a problem there could still be a more costly
> recovery from failure of power supply or other components.
>
> >I can pay 3x more a one with the more maketing hype. Or will
> >the extra $ be worth ut?
>
> Comparison of specific units must be considered, they can't
> simply be lumped together as "3X more... marketing hype" vs.
> generic. Some commercially marketed PSU are better than
> others. Even more sobering is that most of the best
> name-brand power supplies have very little marketing at all,
> don't need to be pushed on buyers. Zippy, Delta, Fortron,
> et al are not marketed much if at all for retail sales.
> Delta is the largest and yet most aren't even familiar with
> their products, being found mostly in servers, workstations
> and OEM proprietary casing sizes... but due to OEM usage
> they have a large PC presence.
>
> It is a question of what you actually get for the money as
> much as the amount of $. So yes, it is easily worth 3X, or
> even 10,000X more for the better unit _IF_ you need the
> wattage. Buying a generic with 550W stamped on it's label
> isn't any assurance that is a sustained value rather than a
> peak, and such practices should be illegal, IMO.
>
> Applying towards a purchase, determine the needed capacity
> per system. If you can't determine whether brand X model Y
> is accurately rated for sustained output, you'd then be
> gambling on whether it's true output and features are
> sufficient. IMO, unless you MUST have fancy eye-candy the
> best value on PSU are Sparkle/Fortron, particularly in the
> 400W-530W range there is nothing of same quality at same (or
> lower) price-points when purchased online. In retail stores
> the pricing on PSU varies so wildly that it must be
> ignored... unless there is an emergency such that a
> replacment must be had immediately.
February 15, 2005 12:09:22 AM

Antecs aren't the best.

!