very slow boot with DVD installed

I just put together a system for a friend. It's old bits (celeron 500...) but
seems to be ok. Strange thing is, when replaced the CD drive with a DVD, it
takes ages to boot.
I'm using WinXP, and the splash screen (with the blue moving bit) stays on the
screen for over a minute, compared with seconds when a CD is installed.
The DVD is secondary master, and there's one hdd, promary master.

Any ideas?
--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:20:09 +0800, Christopher Pollard <rubbish@cginternet.net>
wrote:

>I just put together a system for a friend. It's old bits (celeron 500...) but
>seems to be ok. Strange thing is, when replaced the CD drive with a DVD, it
>takes ages to boot.
>I'm using WinXP, and the splash screen (with the blue moving bit) stays on the
>screen for over a minute, compared with seconds when a CD is installed.
>The DVD is secondary master, and there's one hdd, promary master.
>
>Any ideas?

Nobody got any input here?
--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

"Christopher Pollard" <rubbish@cginternet.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:20:09 +0800, Christopher Pollard
> <rubbish@cginternet.net>
> wrote:
>
>>I just put together a system for a friend. It's old bits (celeron 500...)
>>but
>>seems to be ok. Strange thing is, when replaced the CD drive with a DVD,
>>it
>>takes ages to boot.
>>I'm using WinXP, and the splash screen (with the blue moving bit) stays on
>>the
>>screen for over a minute, compared with seconds when a CD is installed.
>>The DVD is secondary master, and there's one hdd, promary master.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>

> Nobody got any input here?
> --
> Chris Pollard
>

> CG Internet café, Tagum City, Philippines
> http://www.cginternet.net

What's to say? Wrong type of cable, wrong driver, wrong jumper placement.
I'd look at the boot log.
I'd look closely at the BIOS.
I'd see if the DMI pool is getting updated.
The boot sequence is set wrong

See what computerhope says.

JPS
Windows is looking for some thing.

>> Nobody got any input here?
>
>What's to say?

Well I'm open to any suggestions..

>Wrong type of cable,
I'm using a regular 40 conductor cable.

> wrong driver,
Just using the built in windows one, is there a difference?

> wrong jumper placement.
It's the only one on the secondary incterface, and it behaves the same whether
set to master or slave.

>I'd look at the boot log.
Ok, will do.

>I'd look closely at the BIOS.
It's set to auto detect all drives, and seems to detect it correctly.

>I'd see if the DMI pool is getting updated.
I can force that.

>The boot sequence is set wrong
It's set to CDROM-C-A, but it's alreadt decided to boot from C by the time the
pause occurs.

Food for thought though, I'll try C only and see what happens. I might also try
putting it in as primary slave, on the 80 conductor cable.

Thanks for the suggestions.
--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

Christopher Pollard wrote:
> I just put together a system for a friend. It's old bits (celeron 500...) but
> seems to be ok. Strange thing is, when replaced the CD drive with a DVD, it
> takes ages to boot.
> I'm using WinXP, and the splash screen (with the blue moving bit) stays on the
> screen for over a minute, compared with seconds when a CD is installed.
> The DVD is secondary master, and there's one hdd, promary master.
>
> Any ideas?

try moving the DVD to the secondary IDE channel if its not already there.

Tom Woodrow

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 11:28:14 -0800, Tom Woodrow <tomwoodrow@comcast.net> wrote:

>> The DVD is secondary master, and there's one hdd, primary master.
>
>try moving the DVD to the secondary IDE channel if its not already there.

Erm, it is. Secondary master...

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 15:33:02 +0800, Christopher Pollard <rubbish@cginternet.net>
wrote:

>>Wrong type of cable,
>I'm using a regular 40 conductor cable.

This is getting strange now. First, the primary master hdd was on a 80 wire
cable, and the DVD was on a 40 wire as secondary master.

I put the DVD as primary slave, on the 80 wire cable and it booted much faster,
then proclaimed it had found new hardware, namely the DVD.

I then tried putting the DVD as secondary master onthe 80 wire, and the hdd as
primary master on the 40.

It was slow again...

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

Just in case anyone's still wondering about this one...

I decided I was going to fit a CDRW also, but the motherboard was too big, so
only the uppermost 5.25 bay was useable.

Instead I fitted a different motherboard and started over. It boots up just fine
no matter where the DVD is.

I first tried to use this motherboard (Epox something) for a linux system, but
it refused to boot from my linux disc. Even when I used a drive which I knew
could read the disc perfectly. It was ok booting from a Win disc though.

Very bizarre.

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net