Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Building A New System - Opinions Sought

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Performance
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
February 11, 2005 2:28:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

I am building a WinXP Pro system then shipping it to a friend. The
priorities are price, stability, expandability and decent gaming
performance. For stability reasons I'm shying away from the latest
motherboard chipsets and have decided on an Intel 865PERL motherboard. Here
are the details along with an explanation. Suggestions are appreciated.

Intel 865PERLL mobo - reliable with all the features required.

P4 2.4 GHz (Northwood core) - supposedly runs cool for a P4 but still has
good performance with its effective 800MHz FSB

1GB (2x512) Kingston Value Ram (PC3200) - good value since premium RAM is
not required (the mobo isn't overclockable anyway). It's also approved by
Intel, the mobo manufacturer.

NEC ND-3520A DVD-+- RW - supposedly a reliable, high performance burner.

2 Seagate 120 GB IDE HDs (8mb cache)

2 Vantec "EZ Swap" removable IDE HD racks

Leadtek GeForce 6600GT AGP graphics card - good gaming performance, good
value.

Samsung FDD - reliable floppy drive

Enlight 7250 case w 350 watt P/S
(http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?descripti...)

The amp ratings for this P/S seem decent enough. (+5v@30A / +3.3v@28A /
+12v@18A / -5v@:0.8A / -3.3v@:0.3A /
-5VSB:@2A ). Would I need something better for this rig?

Thanks!

More about : building system opinions sought

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 11, 2005 10:03:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Sounds nice to me. I like the 875P chipset,with the same processor. Mitsumi
also has a combination floppy and card reader that fits in a 3.5 slot which
is nice
"Damon" <yadda@yadda.com> wrote in message
news:372qj5F55qrmoU1@individual.net...
>I am building a WinXP Pro system then shipping it to a friend. The
>priorities are price, stability, expandability and decent gaming
>performance. For stability reasons I'm shying away from the latest
>motherboard chipsets and have decided on an Intel 865PERL motherboard. Here
>are the details along with an explanation. Suggestions are appreciated.
>
> Intel 865PERLL mobo - reliable with all the features required.
>
> P4 2.4 GHz (Northwood core) - supposedly runs cool for a P4 but still has
> good performance with its effective 800MHz FSB
>
> 1GB (2x512) Kingston Value Ram (PC3200) - good value since premium RAM is
> not required (the mobo isn't overclockable anyway). It's also approved by
> Intel, the mobo manufacturer.
>
> NEC ND-3520A DVD-+- RW - supposedly a reliable, high performance burner.
>
> 2 Seagate 120 GB IDE HDs (8mb cache)
>
> 2 Vantec "EZ Swap" removable IDE HD racks
>
> Leadtek GeForce 6600GT AGP graphics card - good gaming performance, good
> value.
>
> Samsung FDD - reliable floppy drive
>
> Enlight 7250 case w 350 watt P/S
> (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?descripti...)
>
> The amp ratings for this P/S seem decent enough. (+5v@30A / +3.3v@28A /
> +12v@18A / -5v@:0.8A / -3.3v@:0.3A /
> -5VSB:@2A ). Would I need something better for this rig?
>
> Thanks!
>
>
February 11, 2005 1:08:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"RBM" <rmottola1(remove this)@optonline.net> wrote in message
news:lc1Pd.9465$QN1.281@fe09.lga...
>
> I like the 875P chipset,with the same processor.

Thanks for your reply. Is there anything in particular that you prefer
about the 875P chipset?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 11, 2005 6:04:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"Damon" <yadda@yadda.com> wrote in message
news:372qj5F55qrmoU1@individual.net...
>I am building a WinXP Pro system then shipping it to a friend. The
>priorities are price, stability, expandability and decent gaming
>performance. For stability reasons I'm shying away from the latest
>motherboard chipsets and have decided on an Intel 865PERL motherboard. Here
>are the details along with an explanation. Suggestions are appreciated.
>
> Intel 865PERLL mobo - reliable with all the features required.
>
> P4 2.4 GHz (Northwood core) - supposedly runs cool for a P4 but still has
> good performance with its effective 800MHz FSB
>
> 1GB (2x512) Kingston Value Ram (PC3200) - good value since premium RAM is
> not required (the mobo isn't overclockable anyway). It's also approved by
> Intel, the mobo manufacturer.
>
> NEC ND-3520A DVD-+- RW - supposedly a reliable, high performance burner.
>
> 2 Seagate 120 GB IDE HDs (8mb cache)
>
> 2 Vantec "EZ Swap" removable IDE HD racks
>
> Leadtek GeForce 6600GT AGP graphics card - good gaming performance, good
> value.
>
> Samsung FDD - reliable floppy drive
>
> Enlight 7250 case w 350 watt P/S
> (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?descripti...)
>
> The amp ratings for this P/S seem decent enough. (+5v@30A / +3.3v@28A /
> +12v@18A / -5v@:0.8A / -3.3v@:0.3A /
> -5VSB:@2A ). Would I need something better for this rig?
>
> Thanks!


Two things:

1. The 2.4 Northwood I built a couple years ago was only 533 MHz. This may
have changed since then?

2. The 12 volt rail on that Power Supply unit seems a little light @ 18 amps
for that Video card plus the drives.
I would recommend at least 22 amps on the 12 volt rail.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 11, 2005 8:03:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

No, not really, it has PAT,which may or may not make any real difference. I
have two machines with Asus P4C800E deluxe, which have been running
flawlessly, so I'm real happy with them
"Damon" <yadda@yadda.com> wrote in message
news:37403vF57skc9U1@individual.net...
>
> "RBM" <rmottola1(remove this)@optonline.net> wrote in message
> news:lc1Pd.9465$QN1.281@fe09.lga...
>>
>> I like the 875P chipset,with the same processor.
>
> Thanks for your reply. Is there anything in particular that you prefer
> about the 875P chipset?
>
February 11, 2005 8:22:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"PWY" <pyork22@*mail.com> wrote in message
news:uQ3Pd.59396$dt3.6790505@twister.southeast.rr.com...

>
> Two things:
>
> 1. The 2.4 Northwood I built a couple years ago was only 533 MHz. This
> may have changed since then?
>

There is a version with an 800MHz FSB.

>
> 2. The 12 volt rail on that Power Supply unit seems a little light @ 18
> amps for that Video card plus the drives.
> I would recommend at least 22 amps on the 12 volt rail.
>

I'm considering an Enermax such as this one, good choice? ...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 12, 2005 4:27:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

"Damon" <yadda@yadda.com> wrote in message
news:374phcF5656vgU1@individual.net...
>
> "PWY" <pyork22@*mail.com> wrote in message
> news:uQ3Pd.59396$dt3.6790505@twister.southeast.rr.com...
>
>>
>> Two things:
>>
>> 1. The 2.4 Northwood I built a couple years ago was only 533 MHz. This
>> may have changed since then?
>>
>
> There is a version with an 800MHz FSB.
>
>>
>> 2. The 12 volt rail on that Power Supply unit seems a little light @ 18
>> amps for that Video card plus the drives.
>> I would recommend at least 22 amps on the 12 volt rail.
>>
>
> I'm considering an Enermax such as this one, good choice? ...
>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
>
Very good choice for future upgrades . Probably more power than you'll need
now.
!