Do I need more than one DVD/CD drive?

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 13, 2005 1:32:46 AM

Greetings,

1st I had a 16X DVD ROM drive, then I added 52/32/52 CD burner, recently
I purchased a 16x DVD+- burner. I took out the DVD ROM drive, and now
I'm wondering if I should take out the CD burner also.

Is there an advantage to leaving them in or taking them out?

Thanks, Mark

More about : dvd drive

February 13, 2005 2:21:22 AM

"Kram" <BB@King.com> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> 1st I had a 16X DVD ROM drive, then I added 52/32/52 CD burner, recently I
> purchased a 16x DVD+- burner. I took out the DVD ROM drive, and now I'm
> wondering if I should take out the CD burner also.
>
> Is there an advantage to leaving them in or taking them out?
>
> Thanks, Mark

might as well leave it in...
for one thing...if you are just burning a cd, your cdburner will be faster
than
the dvd burner
also...if you are copying a cd it willbe faster as you won't have to
have it copied to a temporary location on your harddrive first
and finally...it won't hurt anything to have a spare drive in your machine
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 13, 2005 12:18:06 PM

If the additional 4x of CR-ROM /CD-R and the additional 10x of CD-RW
(comparing your CD burner to my DVD-Burner) is important to you than leave
the burner in. As far as reliablity is concerned, my Dual Layer +/- DVD
burner cost less than $60 (US) on newegg, I wouldn't be concerned. My new
system is only going to have the DVD burner to cut costs. For more details
on my new system I'm building, I'm going to post with a subject line
"Purchasing Mistake Will Turn Out Cool."
"Kram" <BB@King.com> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> 1st I had a 16X DVD ROM drive, then I added 52/32/52 CD burner, recently
> I purchased a 16x DVD+- burner. I took out the DVD ROM drive, and now
> I'm wondering if I should take out the CD burner also.
>
> Is there an advantage to leaving them in or taking them out?
>
> Thanks, Mark
a b B Homebuilt system
February 13, 2005 5:29:38 PM

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 22:32:46 -0600, Kram <BB@King.com>
wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>1st I had a 16X DVD ROM drive, then I added 52/32/52 CD burner, recently
>I purchased a 16x DVD+- burner. I took out the DVD ROM drive, and now
>I'm wondering if I should take out the CD burner also.
>
>Is there an advantage to leaving them in or taking them out?
>
>Thanks, Mark

Something less often mentioned is that in a case where the
media is difficult to read, one drive might read it while
the other can't, but not necessarily that one drive is
always better than the other (though that is also common).

More and more software (especially games) may require the
disc be in the drive, so multiple drives means multiple
discs can be mounted. There are software alternatives to
allow use of virtual disc images but using the disc the way
it was intended is most compatible.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 13, 2005 8:27:28 PM

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 22:32:46 -0600, Kram <BB@King.com> put finger to
keyboard and composed:

>Greetings,
>
>1st I had a 16X DVD ROM drive, then I added 52/32/52 CD burner, recently
>I purchased a 16x DVD+- burner. I took out the DVD ROM drive, and now
>I'm wondering if I should take out the CD burner also.
>
>Is there an advantage to leaving them in or taking them out?
>
>Thanks, Mark

Burn CDs with your "expendable" CD burner, and DVDs with your DVD
burner. That should prolong the life of the latter.

- Franc Zabkar
a b B Homebuilt system
February 13, 2005 8:27:29 PM

i dont get this question
i have a dvd rom for region 1 discs
and a dvd dual layer burner for region 2 as i have more region 2 discs

"Franc Zabkar" <fzabkar@optussnet.com.au> wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 22:32:46 -0600, Kram <BB@King.com> put finger to
> keyboard and composed:
>
>>Greetings,
>>
>>1st I had a 16X DVD ROM drive, then I added 52/32/52 CD burner, recently
>>I purchased a 16x DVD+- burner. I took out the DVD ROM drive, and now
>>I'm wondering if I should take out the CD burner also.
>>
>>Is there an advantage to leaving them in or taking them out?
>>
>>Thanks, Mark
>
> Burn CDs with your "expendable" CD burner, and DVDs with your DVD
> burner. That should prolong the life of the latter.
>

> - Franc Zabkar
> --
> Please remove one 's' from my address when replying by email.
February 13, 2005 8:27:30 PM

"Squibbly" <notreal@addy.com> wrote in message
>i dont get this question
> i have a dvd rom for region 1 discs
> and a dvd dual layer burner for region 2 as i have more region 2 discs
>
> "Franc Zabkar" <fzabkar@optussnet.com.au> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 22:32:46 -0600, Kram <BB@King.com> put finger to
>> keyboard and composed:
>>
>>>Greetings,
>>>
>>>1st I had a 16X DVD ROM drive, then I added 52/32/52 CD burner, recently
>>>I purchased a 16x DVD+- burner. I took out the DVD ROM drive, and now
>>>I'm wondering if I should take out the CD burner also.
>>>
>>>Is there an advantage to leaving them in or taking them out?
>>>
>>>Thanks, Mark
>>
>> Burn CDs with your "expendable" CD burner, and DVDs with your DVD
>> burner. That should prolong the life of the latter.
>>

>> - Franc Zabkar
>> --
>> Please remove one 's' from my address when replying by email.

Why have two DVD roms for different regions. You could either run DVD Genie,
which lets you play just about any region on any drive, or you could see if
you could flash the firmware of the drive to make it RPC0 (region free, I
beleive)
I have done just that to my NEC 3500 and it plays everything that I have put
in it so far.

SteveH
February 14, 2005 1:18:09 PM

philo wrote:
> "Kram" <BB@King.com> wrote in message
>
>>Greetings,
>>
>>1st I had a 16X DVD ROM drive, then I added 52/32/52 CD burner, recently I
>>purchased a 16x DVD+- burner. I took out the DVD ROM drive, and now I'm
>>wondering if I should take out the CD burner also.
>>
>>Is there an advantage to leaving them in or taking them out?
>
> might as well leave it in...
> for one thing...if you are just burning a cd, your cdburner will be faster
> than the dvd burner

Unlikely. 16X DVD is a lot faster than 16x CD. My 8X DVD burner burns
48x CDs - something like that, I'm not certain, let's just say it
doesn't take long :-)

--
Paul
!