Do I need more than one DVD/CD drive?

Greetings,

1st I had a 16X DVD ROM drive, then I added 52/32/52 CD burner, recently
I purchased a 16x DVD+- burner. I took out the DVD ROM drive, and now
I'm wondering if I should take out the CD burner also.

Is there an advantage to leaving them in or taking them out?

Thanks, Mark
7 answers Last reply
More about drive

    "Kram" <BB@King.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    >
    > 1st I had a 16X DVD ROM drive, then I added 52/32/52 CD burner, recently I
    > purchased a 16x DVD+- burner. I took out the DVD ROM drive, and now I'm
    > wondering if I should take out the CD burner also.
    >
    > Is there an advantage to leaving them in or taking them out?
    >
    > Thanks, Mark

    might as well leave it in...
    for one thing...if you are just burning a cd, your cdburner will be faster
    than
    the dvd burner
    also...if you are copying a cd it willbe faster as you won't have to
    have it copied to a temporary location on your harddrive first
    and finally...it won't hurt anything to have a spare drive in your machine

    If the additional 4x of CR-ROM /CD-R and the additional 10x of CD-RW
    (comparing your CD burner to my DVD-Burner) is important to you than leave
    the burner in. As far as reliablity is concerned, my Dual Layer +/- DVD
    burner cost less than $60 (US) on newegg, I wouldn't be concerned. My new
    system is only going to have the DVD burner to cut costs. For more details
    on my new system I'm building, I'm going to post with a subject line
    "Purchasing Mistake Will Turn Out Cool."

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 22:32:46 -0600, Kram <BB@King.com>
    wrote:

    >Greetings,
    >
    >1st I had a 16X DVD ROM drive, then I added 52/32/52 CD burner, recently
    >I purchased a 16x DVD+- burner. I took out the DVD ROM drive, and now
    >I'm wondering if I should take out the CD burner also.
    >
    >Is there an advantage to leaving them in or taking them out?
    >
    >Thanks, Mark

    Something less often mentioned is that in a case where the
    media is difficult to read, one drive might read it while
    the other can't, but not necessarily that one drive is
    always better than the other (though that is also common).

    More and more software (especially games) may require the
    disc be in the drive, so multiple drives means multiple
    discs can be mounted. There are software alternatives to
    allow use of virtual disc images but using the disc the way
    it was intended is most compatible.

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 22:32:46 -0600, Kram <BB@King.com> put finger to
    keyboard and composed:

    >Greetings,
    >
    >1st I had a 16X DVD ROM drive, then I added 52/32/52 CD burner, recently
    >I purchased a 16x DVD+- burner. I took out the DVD ROM drive, and now
    >I'm wondering if I should take out the CD burner also.
    >
    >Is there an advantage to leaving them in or taking them out?
    >
    >Thanks, Mark

    Burn CDs with your "expendable" CD burner, and DVDs with your DVD
    burner. That should prolong the life of the latter.

    - Franc Zabkar

    i dont get this question
    i have a dvd rom for region 1 discs
    and a dvd dual layer burner for region 2 as i have more region 2 discs

    "Squibbly" <notreal@addy.com> wrote in message
    >i dont get this question
    > i have a dvd rom for region 1 discs
    > and a dvd dual layer burner for region 2 as i have more region 2 discs
    >
    > "Franc Zabkar" <fzabkar@optussnet.com.au> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 22:32:46 -0600, Kram <BB@King.com> put finger to
    >> keyboard and composed:
    >>
    >>>Greetings,
    >>>
    >>>1st I had a 16X DVD ROM drive, then I added 52/32/52 CD burner, recently
    >>>I purchased a 16x DVD+- burner. I took out the DVD ROM drive, and now
    >>>I'm wondering if I should take out the CD burner also.
    >>>
    >>>Is there an advantage to leaving them in or taking them out?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks, Mark
    >>
    >> Burn CDs with your "expendable" CD burner, and DVDs with your DVD
    >> burner. That should prolong the life of the latter.
    >>

    >> - Franc Zabkar
    >> --
    >> Please remove one 's' from my address when replying by email.

    Why have two DVD roms for different regions. You could either run DVD Genie,
    which lets you play just about any region on any drive, or you could see if
    you could flash the firmware of the drive to make it RPC0 (region free, I
    beleive)
    I have done just that to my NEC 3500 and it plays everything that I have put
    in it so far.

    SteveH

    philo wrote:
    > "Kram" <BB@King.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Greetings,
    >>
    >>1st I had a 16X DVD ROM drive, then I added 52/32/52 CD burner, recently I
    >>purchased a 16x DVD+- burner. I took out the DVD ROM drive, and now I'm
    >>wondering if I should take out the CD burner also.
    >>
    >>Is there an advantage to leaving them in or taking them out?
    >
    > might as well leave it in...
    > for one thing...if you are just burning a cd, your cdburner will be faster
    > than the dvd burner

    Unlikely. 16X DVD is a lot faster than 16x CD. My 8X DVD burner burns
    48x CDs - something like that, I'm not certain, let's just say it
    doesn't take long :-)

    --
    Paul

Homebuilt Burner DVD Drives Systems