Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to open HP laser jet cartridge

Last response: in Systems
Share
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 14, 2005 1:15:54 PM

Archived from groups: sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,sci.electronics.misc (More info?)

Hi all,

I'm breaking my head as how to open the toner cartridge of my HP
laser printer, which I'm willing to refill by myself. I can see the
lid at the left end, but can't remove the top cover completely so as
to pour the toner. It seems that I'm missing out some hidden screw.
Cartridge is C7115A taken out from a HP laser jet 1000 series printer.

Thanks
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 14, 2005 4:05:59 PM

Archived from groups: sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,sci.electronics.misc (More info?)

If you want refilled cartridges, I just saw an eBay seller for $15.72
including shipping. Do you really want to mess with that stuff
yourself?
GG
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 14, 2005 9:53:07 PM

Archived from groups: sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,sci.electronics.misc (More info?)

Hopefully no hole is to be drilled out here, toner container is having
a lid which can be removed easily.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 14, 2005 11:11:06 PM

Archived from groups: sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,sci.electronics.misc (More info?)

On 14 Feb 2005 10:15:54 -0800, "Jack// ani"
<nospam4u_jack@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm breaking my head as how to open the toner cartridge of my HP
>laser printer, which I'm willing to refill by myself. I can see the
>lid at the left end, but can't remove the top cover completely so as
>to pour the toner. It seems that I'm missing out some hidden screw.
>Cartridge is C7115A taken out from a HP laser jet 1000 series printer.
>
>Thanks

Don't know if this will help but here it is anyway...

http://instrukcje.elektroda.net/druk/ton_reg/HP1200Tech...
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 14, 2005 11:49:51 PM

Archived from groups: sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,sci.electronics.misc (More info?)

"Jack// ani" (nospam4u_jack@yahoo.com) writes:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm breaking my head as how to open the toner cartridge of my HP
> laser printer, which I'm willing to refill by myself. I can see the
> lid at the left end, but can't remove the top cover completely so as
> to pour the toner. It seems that I'm missing out some hidden screw.
> Cartridge is C7115A taken out from a HP laser jet 1000 series printer.
>
> Thanks
>
YOu use to see bits about refilling laser cartridges, in the early days
of home laser printers. Don Lancaster wrote about it, and for all I know
he may have the old article somewhere on his website, http://www.tinaja.com

But, and I realize it may depend on the cartridge, I remember his instructions
being about drilling a hole, and then funnelling in new toner, rather than
opening the whole thing.

It can get pretty messy if you have to open the whole thing.

Michael
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 15, 2005 2:42:15 AM

Archived from groups: sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,sci.electronics.misc (More info?)

In article <1108404954.611879.162520@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
Jack// ani <nospam4u_jack@yahoo.com> wrote:

| I'm breaking my head as how to open the toner cartridge of my HP
| laser printer, which I'm willing to refill by myself. I can see the
| lid at the left end, but can't remove the top cover completely so as
| to pour the toner. It seems that I'm missing out some hidden screw.
| Cartridge is C7115A taken out from a HP laser jet 1000 series printer.

The kits I've seen give you a soldering iron with a circular head to
cut a hole in the cartridge, and a plug to fill the hole. And a book
to tell you where to put the hole on each type of cartridge. And some
toner, of course.

You burn a hole, fill it with toner, put the plug in.

It works pretty good, but it IS messy. Do it outside :) 

--
Doug McLaren, dougmc@frenzy.com
HELLO KITTY gang terrorizes town, family STICKERED to death!
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 15, 2005 2:42:16 AM

Archived from groups: sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,sci.electronics.misc (More info?)

For my HP LaserJet 4L I bought one of those refills where the open a
hole and re-fill. Unfortunately what they don't do is open a hole and
empty the waste compartment where excess toner collects during use. The
cartridge had been refilled a few times as well. As a result, the
cartridge spilled a lot of toner into my printer and I was back to using
factory fresh ones. Does anyone do these refills properly with low
useage cores?

Doug McLaren wrote:

>In article <1108404954.611879.162520@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
>Jack// ani <nospam4u_jack@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>| I'm breaking my head as how to open the toner cartridge of my HP
>| laser printer, which I'm willing to refill by myself. I can see the
>| lid at the left end, but can't remove the top cover completely so as
>| to pour the toner. It seems that I'm missing out some hidden screw.
>| Cartridge is C7115A taken out from a HP laser jet 1000 series printer.
>
>The kits I've seen give you a soldering iron with a circular head to
>cut a hole in the cartridge, and a plug to fill the hole. And a book
>to tell you where to put the hole on each type of cartridge. And some
>toner, of course.
>
>You burn a hole, fill it with toner, put the plug in.
>
>It works pretty good, but it IS messy. Do it outside :) 
>
>
>

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

The Lost Deep Thoughts By: Jack Handey
Before a mad scientist goes mad, there's probably a time
when he's only partially mad. And this is the time when he's
going to throw his best parties.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 15, 2005 6:49:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 23:42:15 GMT, dougmc@frenzy.com (Doug McLaren)
wrote:

>In article <1108404954.611879.162520@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
>Jack// ani <nospam4u_jack@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>| I'm breaking my head as how to open the toner cartridge of my HP
>| laser printer, which I'm willing to refill by myself. I can see the
>| lid at the left end, but can't remove the top cover completely so as
>| to pour the toner. It seems that I'm missing out some hidden screw.
>| Cartridge is C7115A taken out from a HP laser jet 1000 series printer.
>
>The kits I've seen give you a soldering iron with a circular head to
>cut a hole in the cartridge, and a plug to fill the hole. And a book
>to tell you where to put the hole on each type of cartridge. And some
>toner, of course.
>
>You burn a hole, fill it with toner, put the plug in.
>
>It works pretty good, but it IS messy. Do it outside :) 

On a VERY windy day... OH.. and make sure you sit DOWNWIND of the
cartridge.
Raymond Sirois
SysOp: The Lost Chord BBS
607-733-5745
telnet://thelostchord.dns2go.com:6000
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 15, 2005 8:52:28 AM

Archived from groups: sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,sci.electronics.misc (More info?)

On 14 Feb 2005 18:53:07 -0800, "Jack// ani"
<nospam4u_jack@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hopefully no hole is to be drilled out here, toner container is having
>a lid which can be removed easily.

Did you see the PDF I linked? If that's your cart then it
should be exactly what you need. It is typical to need to
punch/cut/drill/etc a new (one-cycle used) toner to refill
it. A remanufacturered cart may have screws then added if
the particular cart needs them after being disassembled.
Depending on how wasteful the printer is (don't know about
that model) it is a good idea to empty the recovered waste
toner. Just be careful not to scratch the drum if internal.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 15, 2005 1:21:28 PM

Archived from groups: sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,sci.electronics.misc (More info?)

Hi Kony,

Thanks a lot. Exactly this is what I was looking for, very good piece
of info.

Thanks again
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 15, 2005 1:30:07 PM

Archived from groups: sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,sci.electronics.misc (More info?)

I refilled my cartridge successfully. Yes it is bit messy but good if
you want to save money!!

Thanks
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 15, 2005 2:58:10 PM

Archived from groups: sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,sci.electronics.misc (More info?)

stratus46@yahoo.com wrote:
> If you want refilled cartridges, I just saw an eBay seller for $15.72
> including shipping. Do you really want to mess with that stuff
> yourself?
> GG

I've bought a few of those with mixed results...not so bad that I would
forego ordering again, but not perfect, either. One out of three I ordered
quickly developed a problem which produced a white streak down the middle of
the page. Looking into the cartridge, I could see that toner was not
getting to that area. I replaced it with a NOS genuine Hp part I'd also
ebayed, but I've got the bad one for further scrutiny if I ever need it...or
as a source for replacement toner.

jak
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 15, 2005 4:05:07 PM

Archived from groups: sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,sci.electronics.misc (More info?)

In article <xFqQd.1555$mZ5.655@bignews1.bellsouth.net>,
jakdedert <jdedert@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>stratus46@yahoo.com wrote:
>> If you want refilled cartridges, I just saw an eBay seller for $15.72
>> including shipping. Do you really want to mess with that stuff
>> yourself?
>> GG
>
>I've bought a few of those with mixed results...not so bad that I would
>forego ordering again, but not perfect, either. One out of three I ordered
>quickly developed a problem which produced a white streak down the middle of
>the page. Looking into the cartridge, I could see that toner was not
>getting to that area. I replaced it with a NOS genuine Hp part I'd also
>ebayed, but I've got the bad one for further scrutiny if I ever need it...or
>as a source for replacement toner.
>
>jak
>
>


A guy I know that repairs printers says that how the stuff was stored
is important for NOS toner carts. He recommends a quality refil
service. YMMV.




--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 16, 2005 11:58:51 AM

Archived from groups: sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,sci.electronics.misc (More info?)

On 15 Feb 2005 10:30:07 -0800, "Jack// ani" <nospam4u_jack@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I refilled my cartridge successfully. Yes it is bit messy but good if
>you want to save money!!
>
>Thanks


Just curious. What does it cost to fill one yourself, and where do you
get rhe toner?

Mark
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 15, 2010 5:06:13 PM

In case anyone still interrested, I've solved the puzzle!

Background:
As I had two such cartridges, aone with empty toner reservoir and one with worn drum, I tried hard to make one working unit.

HowTo:
1) Remove the two hinges (one at each side) that apparently hold together the toner reservoir and the drum part. The two parts can move a bit with respect to the other, there are two springs that push the drum to the transfer roller.
1a) To to so one needs either a magical tool to pull out the hinge axis or get access to the other end of the hinge and push it out. Btw. there is no such access...
1aa) To get the access, drill small holes exactly where you expect the other end of the hinge axis. Then it can be pushed out with a suitable bent tool and finally pulled out by pliers. To drill the holes it is also wise to remove the sliding cover of the drum...
2) Now the cartridge breaks into two parts - the toner reservoir and the drum compartment. Undo the screws and look what's inside... :-).
September 12, 2010 7:43:32 PM

Quote:
In case anyone still interrested, I've solved the puzzle!

Background:
As I had two such cartridges, aone with empty toner reservoir and one with worn drum, I tried hard to make one working unit.

HowTo:
1) Remove the two hinges (one at each side) that apparently hold together the toner reservoir and the drum part. The two parts can move a bit with respect to the other, there are two springs that push the drum to the transfer roller.
1a) To to so one needs either a magical tool to pull out the hinge axis or get access to the other end of the hinge and push it out. Btw. there is no such access...
1aa) To get the access, drill small holes exactly where you expect the other end of the hinge axis. Then it can be pushed out with a suitable bent tool and finally pulled out by pliers. To drill the holes it is also wise to remove the sliding cover of the drum...
2) Now the cartridge breaks into two parts - the toner reservoir and the drum compartment. Undo the screws and look what's inside... :-).


Good one, the best guide i av come across online on this issue.
However, sometimes ago i saw some split the cartridge into those two parts without drilling any hole. There is a pin-like metal one on each side of the hinge, he hit the in a bit (I guess those pins hold the hinge). He then separate the two parts. I have been trying it for long but I am unable to separate the two parts. Maybe you can try this too. And I cant get where you said the hole should be drilled.
February 24, 2012 4:17:31 PM

dakhorse said:
Good one, the best guide i av come across online on this issue.
However, sometimes ago i saw some split the cartridge into those two parts without drilling any hole. There is a pin-like metal one on each side of the hinge, he hit the in a bit (I guess those pins hold the hinge). He then separate the two parts. I have been trying it for long but I am unable to separate the two parts. Maybe you can try this too. And I cant get where you said the hole should be drilled.



Just tap the pins in (with a little force) and they will fall thru, then the two halves will come apart, put pins to the side, fill toner thru filling hole cap inside. put two halves together and from outside tap the pins back into place to hold the parts together. i found it pretty simple. just try it with a empty toner because its messy with a full toner.
!