floppy drive read/write head specs

KemMotaR

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2005

I'm wanting to use a floppy drive read/write head (removed from the
drive) to read other types of magnetic media, but I can't find any specs
on it. What I need is some idea which pins are which, and what voltages
etc. to use.

I've got the head out of the drive, and it has a ribbon coming out of it
which terminates in five contacts. Any ideas where to start or where I
might go (other forums, webpages etc.) to find this info?

Kemmotar

Apollo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Kemmotar" <kem@otar.com> wrote in message
> I'm wanting to use a floppy drive read/write head (removed from
> the drive) to read other types of magnetic media, but I can't
> find any specs on it. What I need is some idea which pins are
> which, and what voltages etc. to use.
>
> I've got the head out of the drive, and it has a ribbon coming
> out of it which terminates in five contacts. Any ideas where to
> start or where I might go (other forums, webpages etc.) to find
> this info?

sci.electronics.misc?

--
Ian

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 14:37:56 -0500, Kemmotar <kem@otar.com>
wrote:

>I'm wanting to use a floppy drive read/write head (removed from the
>drive) to read other types of magnetic media, but I can't find any specs
>on it. What I need is some idea which pins are which, and what voltages
>etc. to use.
>
>I've got the head out of the drive, and it has a ribbon coming out of it
>which terminates in five contacts. Any ideas where to start or where I
>might go (other forums, webpages etc.) to find this info?
>
>Kemmotar

I suggest you put it back in the drive and trace the circuit
going away from it.