How to hook up Front connecters

Am new to this
have a system board that came out of a compaq presario 5716
the board it self is not marked where to hook up the front connecters
from the atx case.power,reset,etc.
could any one please show or tell me where to connect.
Thank you

Dee

putt-putt wrote:

> Am new to this
> have a system board that came out of a compaq presario 5716
> the board it self is not marked where to hook up the front connecters
> from the atx case.power,reset,etc.
> could any one please show or tell me where to connect.
> Thank you

Well, at the ball park they say you can't tell the players without a
score card, and in computers you can't identify the pins and jumpers
without a manual since there is no common layout.

When you buy a motherboard it comes with a manual that tells you exactly
where each item gets connected. So, you need a manual for your Compaq
motherboard.

putt-putt wrote:
> Am new to this
> have a system board that came out of a compaq presario 5716
> the board it self is not marked where to hook up the front connecters
> from the atx case.power,reset,etc.
> could any one please show or tell me where to connect.
> Thank you

If you know the model number the motherboard came out of, you can just
look it up at a Compaq website possibly. There are a lot of connectors
on a motherboard but you only need a few of them. Just the power switch
is absolutely necessary.

Most people use:
Power-on/off Switch
Reset Switch (Nice to Have)
HD LED
POWER LED
Maybe a Speaker.

Usually the pins are on the bottom of the motherboard on the side
closest to the front.

On 18 Feb 2005 15:16:50 -0500,
mikeandrose48@juno-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (putt-putt)
wrote:

>Am new to this
>have a system board that came out of a compaq presario 5716
>the board it self is not marked where to hook up the front connecters
>from the atx case.power,reset,etc.
>could any one please show or tell me where to connect.
>Thank you

Among OEMs, Compaq/HP can be among the most proprietary when
it comes to front connectors. Often they put a
all-integrated ribbon cable somewhere along the forward edge
of the motherboard (particularly if the case has front
serial and/or joystick port), and "maybe" the board _also_
has the more standard pin-header in place still near the
bottom right corner (for some if not all the funcitons) as
it would be on a board geared more towards retail sales.

I've a bunch of old Compaq parts, some documented and some
not. If you were to better describe what you have it might
help. IMO, if it was the giant-sized Presario with the
slide-out rear case design, the case was probably more
useful than the parts in it, those were about the sturdiest
OEM PC cases ever made, just the outer shell alone has more
metal in it than an entire modern case.

You might check Compaq/HP's website to see if they have the
documentation for your model, though in the past it was
ironic enough that their docs typically provided pinouts for
serial, USB, parallel, etc, etc... only the pinous available
anywhere, but no details of the pinouts which were specific
and unique to the particular series.

If you have the case still, the tedious but most thorough
way of getting some data would be to put a multimeter on the
ribbon-cable for the connector(s), testing continuity. Of
particular concern would be that you don't accidentally
route a 5V power source where it shouldn't go, so it would
be useful to get the board running and measure voltage
levels on the proprietary header(s) to be sure of if/where
there might be such power pins.

Dee wrote:

>putt-putt wrote:
>
>> Am new to this
>> have a system board that came out of a compaq presario 5716
>> the board it self is not marked where to hook up the front connecters
>> from the atx case.power,reset,etc.
>
>You're supposed to do research for instructions, diagrams, manual, etc.
>BEFORE you tear something apart, NOT AFTER!

Well, you're jumping to conclusions there. putt-putt said the board came out of
a compaq, hot that he/she removed it personally

I would try here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/setupCategory?dlc=en&lc=en&product=93575&lang=en&cc=us&
and email technical support. They might tell you that you shouldn't me messing
around with it, but what's to lose?

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net