How to hook up Front connecters

Am new to this
have a system board that came out of a compaq presario 5716
the board it self is not marked where to hook up the front connecters
from the atx case.power,reset,etc.
could any one please show or tell me where to connect.
Thank you
4 answers Last reply
More about hook front connecters

    putt-putt wrote:

    > Am new to this
    > have a system board that came out of a compaq presario 5716
    > the board it self is not marked where to hook up the front connecters
    > from the atx case.power,reset,etc.
    > could any one please show or tell me where to connect.
    > Thank you

    Well, at the ball park they say you can't tell the players without a
    score card, and in computers you can't identify the pins and jumpers
    without a manual since there is no common layout.

    When you buy a motherboard it comes with a manual that tells you exactly
    where each item gets connected. So, you need a manual for your Compaq
    motherboard.

    putt-putt wrote:
    > Am new to this
    > have a system board that came out of a compaq presario 5716
    > the board it self is not marked where to hook up the front connecters
    > from the atx case.power,reset,etc.
    > could any one please show or tell me where to connect.
    > Thank you

    If you know the model number the motherboard came out of, you can just
    look it up at a Compaq website possibly. There are a lot of connectors
    on a motherboard but you only need a few of them. Just the power switch
    is absolutely necessary.

    Most people use:
    Power-on/off Switch
    Reset Switch (Nice to Have)
    HD LED
    POWER LED
    Maybe a Speaker.

    Usually the pins are on the bottom of the motherboard on the side
    closest to the front.

    On 18 Feb 2005 15:16:50 -0500,
    mikeandrose48@juno-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (putt-putt)
    wrote:

    >Am new to this
    >have a system board that came out of a compaq presario 5716
    >the board it self is not marked where to hook up the front connecters
    >from the atx case.power,reset,etc.
    >could any one please show or tell me where to connect.
    >Thank you

    Among OEMs, Compaq/HP can be among the most proprietary when
    it comes to front connectors. Often they put a
    all-integrated ribbon cable somewhere along the forward edge
    of the motherboard (particularly if the case has front
    serial and/or joystick port), and "maybe" the board _also_
    has the more standard pin-header in place still near the
    bottom right corner (for some if not all the funcitons) as
    it would be on a board geared more towards retail sales.

    I've a bunch of old Compaq parts, some documented and some
    not. If you were to better describe what you have it might
    help. IMO, if it was the giant-sized Presario with the
    slide-out rear case design, the case was probably more
    useful than the parts in it, those were about the sturdiest
    OEM PC cases ever made, just the outer shell alone has more
    metal in it than an entire modern case.

    You might check Compaq/HP's website to see if they have the
    documentation for your model, though in the past it was
    ironic enough that their docs typically provided pinouts for
    serial, USB, parallel, etc, etc... only the pinous available
    anywhere, but no details of the pinouts which were specific
    and unique to the particular series.

    If you have the case still, the tedious but most thorough
    way of getting some data would be to put a multimeter on the
    ribbon-cable for the connector(s), testing continuity. Of
    particular concern would be that you don't accidentally
    route a 5V power source where it shouldn't go, so it would
    be useful to get the board running and measure voltage
    levels on the proprietary header(s) to be sure of if/where
    there might be such power pins.

    Dee wrote:

    >putt-putt wrote:
    >
    >> Am new to this
    >> have a system board that came out of a compaq presario 5716
    >> the board it self is not marked where to hook up the front connecters
    >> from the atx case.power,reset,etc.
    >
    >You're supposed to do research for instructions, diagrams, manual, etc.
    >BEFORE you tear something apart, NOT AFTER!

    Well, you're jumping to conclusions there. putt-putt said the board came out of
    a compaq, hot that he/she removed it personally

    I would try here:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/setupCategory?dlc=en&lc=en&product=93575&lang=en&cc=us&
    and email technical support. They might tell you that you shouldn't me messing
    around with it, but what's to lose?

    --
    Chris Pollard

    http://www.cginternet.net