Has anyone come across or seen any schematics on how to put USB on a single
board computer? I would be interested in seeing this if anyone can point
out a source for me. Thanks!

JaYmZ

"James T. Sprinkle" <oicmrsnakes@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone come across or seen any schematics on how to put USB on a
> single
> board computer? I would be interested in seeing this if anyone can point
> out a source for me. Thanks!
>
> JaYmZ

I would go to the computer store and get a PCI-USB board

Ed

"James T. Sprinkle" <oicmrsnakes@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone come across or seen any schematics on how to put USB on a single
> board computer? I would be interested in seeing this if anyone can point
> out a source for me. Thanks!

Does your SBC have PCI. If so there are many host controller chips out
there.

-- Chris

Easiest is to...
1) Check if the SBC maker has an optional card
---- often they are small, low-profile - at a price
2) Use a standard PCI card, assuming you have a PCI slot
---- SBC covers quite a range - check industrial board suppliers

Check whether you are getting USB 1.1 or USB 2.0, a lot of
industrial PC specs love to bypass exactly what USB spec.

Irritating how a lot of S370 SBCs out there are USB1.1, when
a Tualatin 1-1.2Ghz is a great CPU with very low-dissipation.

If your application can use USB2 or Firewire - go Firewire:
o USB isn't that reliable -- USB drives get lost on XP/Win2k
o USB isn't that quick -- 480Mbps shared/peak
---- Firewire 400 is often quicker re lower CPU util & real world
---- Firewire 800 is not uncommon, and faster still
o USB is cable length limited -- repeaters help, but watch length
o USB is power limited -- laptop ports the worst, desktop a bit better
---- Firewire 6-pin can supply higher voltage & current than USB2
---- so for industrial applications Firewire can be attractive

Watch what current draw you can pull (if required).
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.dorothybradbury.co.uk for quiet Panaflo fans

rene

"James T. Sprinkle" <oicmrsnakes@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
> Has anyone come across or seen any schematics on how to put USB on a
> single
> board computer? I would be interested in seeing this if anyone can point
> out a source for me. Thanks!

You might consider asking this question on comp.arch.embedded.

Good luck!
Rene

"Ed Medlin" <ed@edmedlin.com> wrote in message

> "James T. Sprinkle" <oicmrsnakes@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Has anyone come across or seen any schematics on how to put USB on a
> > single
> > board computer? I would be interested in seeing this if anyone can
point
> > out a source for me. Thanks!
> >
> > JaYmZ
> >

> I would go to the computer store and get a PCI-USB board
>
> Ed

Thanks for the reply Ed, but I am building the SBC myself and need to put it
onboard.

JaYmZ

"Chris Ballance" <chrisb@rosery.net> wrote in message
> "James T. Sprinkle" <oicmrsnakes@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Has anyone come across or seen any schematics on how to put USB on a
single
> > board computer? I would be interested in seeing this if anyone can
point
> > out a source for me. Thanks!
>
> Does your SBC have PCI. If so there are many host controller chips out
> there.
>
> -- Chris

Thanks for the reply Chris. No, no PCI on my SBC. I am building it myself
and was hoping to put one onboard.

JaYmZ

"Dorothy Bradbury" <dorothy.bradbury@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Easiest is to...
> 1) Check if the SBC maker has an optional card
> ---- often they are small, low-profile - at a price
> 2) Use a standard PCI card, assuming you have a PCI slot
> ---- SBC covers quite a range - check industrial board suppliers
>
> Check whether you are getting USB 1.1 or USB 2.0, a lot of
> industrial PC specs love to bypass exactly what USB spec.
>
> Irritating how a lot of S370 SBCs out there are USB1.1, when
> a Tualatin 1-1.2Ghz is a great CPU with very low-dissipation.
>
> If your application can use USB2 or Firewire - go Firewire:
> o USB isn't that reliable -- USB drives get lost on XP/Win2k
> o USB isn't that quick -- 480Mbps shared/peak
> ---- Firewire 400 is often quicker re lower CPU util & real world
> ---- Firewire 800 is not uncommon, and faster still
> o USB is cable length limited -- repeaters help, but watch length
> o USB is power limited -- laptop ports the worst, desktop a bit better
> ---- Firewire 6-pin can supply higher voltage & current than USB2
> ---- so for industrial applications Firewire can be attractive
>
> Watch what current draw you can pull (if required).
> --
> Dorothy Bradbury
> www.dorothybradbury.co.uk for quiet Panaflo fans

Thanks for the reply Dorothy. I am the maker and probably the sole user of
my SBC. I just want to add a USB jumpdrive or the like to my SBC project
and can't seem to find any information on how to add USB ports. I have seen
lots of stuff on how to make peripherals, but nothing on actually adding USB
to the board.

JaYmZ

"Rene" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
> "James T. Sprinkle" <oicmrsnakes@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
> > Has anyone come across or seen any schematics on how to put USB on a
> > single
> > board computer? I would be interested in seeing this if anyone can
point
> > out a source for me. Thanks!
>
> You might consider asking this question on comp.arch.embedded.
>
> Good luck!
> Rene

Thanks for the reply Rene. I will give them a look.

JaYmZ

James T. Sprinkle wrote:

> "Dorothy Bradbury" <dorothy.bradbury@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>
>>Easiest is to...
>>1) Check if the SBC maker has an optional card
>>---- often they are small, low-profile - at a price
>>2) Use a standard PCI card, assuming you have a PCI slot
>>---- SBC covers quite a range - check industrial board suppliers
>>
>>Check whether you are getting USB 1.1 or USB 2.0, a lot of
>>industrial PC specs love to bypass exactly what USB spec.
>>
>>Irritating how a lot of S370 SBCs out there are USB1.1, when
>>a Tualatin 1-1.2Ghz is a great CPU with very low-dissipation.
>>
>>If your application can use USB2 or Firewire - go Firewire:
>>o USB isn't that reliable -- USB drives get lost on XP/Win2k
>>o USB isn't that quick -- 480Mbps shared/peak
>>---- Firewire 400 is often quicker re lower CPU util & real world
>>---- Firewire 800 is not uncommon, and faster still
>>o USB is cable length limited -- repeaters help, but watch length
>>o USB is power limited -- laptop ports the worst, desktop a bit better
>>---- Firewire 6-pin can supply higher voltage & current than USB2
>>---- so for industrial applications Firewire can be attractive
>>
>>Watch what current draw you can pull (if required).
>>--
>>Dorothy Bradbury
>>www.dorothybradbury.co.uk for quiet Panaflo fans
>>

> Thanks for the reply Dorothy. I am the maker and probably the sole user of
> my SBC. I just want to add a USB jumpdrive or the like to my SBC project
> and can't seem to find any information on how to add USB ports. I have seen
> lots of stuff on how to make peripherals, but nothing on actually adding USB
> to the board.
>
> JaYmZ

See if this one helps.

http://www.kmitl.ac.th/~kswichit/usb/usb.html