Is SATA backwards compatible with EIDE?

Is SATA faster?, more reliable?, by how much?

ED
7 answers Last reply
More about sata backwards compatible eide

    john wrote:
    > Is SATA backwards compatible with EIDE?
    >
    > Is SATA faster?, more reliable?, by how much?
    >
    > ED

    Not compatible.

    It's not faster, however, an SATA bus is (sometimes? always?) 150 MBps
    as opposed to the highest ATA bus which is 133 MBps. For a single drive
    this doesn't matter, but for some RAIDs you can get a little bit better
    transfer speeds.

    The real benefit of SATA is smaller wires and smaller power adapters,
    also I think any board that supports SATA has a built-in RAID but I
    could be wrong about that.

    NOTE: some motherboards come with adapters to plug an older IDE drive
    into an SATA port, but I haven't seen one that does it the opposite way.

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 04:15:57 GMT, nono@nono.net (john)
    wrote:

    > Is SATA backwards compatible with EIDE?

    no

    >Is SATA faster?

    only on paper

    >, more reliable?

    no, less so because the connectors are more delicate

    >, by how much?

    3 chickens and a horse's tail.

    SATA is different than IDE; uses a different controller and connectors.

    --
    DaveW

    In article <cvbp4u$b869$1@netnews.upenn.edu>, o-chan <poda@REMOVEmac.com> wrote:
    >john wrote:
    >> Is SATA backwards compatible with EIDE?
    >> Is SATA faster?, more reliable?, by how much?
    >> ED
    >Not compatible.
    >
    >It's not faster, however, an SATA bus is (sometimes? always?) 150 MBps
    >as opposed to the highest ATA bus which is 133 MBps. For a single drive
    >this doesn't matter, but for some RAIDs you can get a little bit better
    >transfer speeds.
    >
    >The real benefit of SATA is smaller wires and smaller power adapters,
    >also I think any board that supports SATA has a built-in RAID but I
    >could be wrong about that.
    >
    >NOTE: some motherboards come with adapters to plug an older IDE drive
    >into an SATA port, but I haven't seen one that does it the opposite way.

    Thanks for your reply.

    In regards to the adapters, are there adapters available to buy if the mobo
    doesn't come with it?

    john wrote:
    > Is SATA backwards compatible with EIDE?
    >
    > Is SATA faster?, more reliable?, by how much?
    >
    > ED
    SATA AND IDE use different types of interface. They are not really
    compatible with each other. IDE is a parallel interface and SATA is a
    serial interface.

    SATA data transfer is faster. However, the IDE Transfer rate is fast
    enough to support several hard drives and not suffer any slow downs due
    to the transfer rate. So the faster transfer rate is really irrelevant.
    An IDE drive has to write the data and read the data from the drive
    and this takes longer than it does to transfer the data over the IDE
    interface. So IDE hard drives can not catch up with the IDE transfer rate.

    People will try to say I am incorrect. However I base my information on
    articles I have read on www.htmlgoodies.com and www.anandtech.com .

    My new abit MB came with an adapter, but it also stated the speed would only
    be the same as the EIDE.

    > In article <cvbp4u$b869$1@netnews.upenn.edu>, o-chan <poda@REMOVEmac.com>
    > wrote:
    >>john wrote:
    >>> Is SATA backwards compatible with EIDE?
    >>> Is SATA faster?, more reliable?, by how much?
    >>> ED
    >>Not compatible.
    >>
    >>It's not faster, however, an SATA bus is (sometimes? always?) 150 MBps
    >>as opposed to the highest ATA bus which is 133 MBps. For a single drive
    >>this doesn't matter, but for some RAIDs you can get a little bit better
    >>transfer speeds.
    >>
    >>The real benefit of SATA is smaller wires and smaller power adapters,
    >>also I think any board that supports SATA has a built-in RAID but I
    >>could be wrong about that.
    >>
    >>NOTE: some motherboards come with adapters to plug an older IDE drive
    >>into an SATA port, but I haven't seen one that does it the opposite way.
    >
    > Thanks for your reply.
    >
    > In regards to the adapters, are there adapters available to buy if the
    > mobo
    > doesn't come with it?

    I have one of these, it plugs into ide on motherboard and has 2 sata
    connectors. It works very well.

    http://www.dcs-online.biz/shop/product_info.php/cPath/96_42/products_id/3639

    You can also get these:

    http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/rh100.htm

Homebuilt Hardware SATA Compatibility Systems