Need input (& have questions) on new system build.

Daniel

I'm building a new system (still looking at the parts) & am running into a
few questions.

First off, my motherboard, I'm debating on the Gigabyte GA-K8NS-939 vs. the
939-Ultra (NewEgg shows $27 difference). The Ultra has some features that
while I may not initially use, they may come in handy later. Other than
that, I'm looking at the regular GA-K8NS-939 board. Also the board specs say
it only supports the 130nm but others say they use a 90nm on it. Is this
just a overlook/forgot to update the info or does the board really only
support 130nm? (& what is the real difference?)

My other biggest question on the motherboard is the heatsink mounting. I've
read that the board uses plastic screws which would be a problem, but are
they meaning the board to case mounting screws? If so then can't I just use
some others I have as a replacement? I'm looking at the "ThermalTake
ComboCool DIY Tower112" (NewEgg part#N8cE16835106044) which is a 60x60x145mm
size & looks like it mounts THROUGH the board to the case (because of it's
weight).

Next, I'm considering either Kingston or Corsair memory, 512MBx2 dual
channel memory at 400MHz. My problem is finding compatibility of them.
Kingston's website lists the Gigabyte boards as GA-K8NSXP-939, which I'm
sure is just a naming problem/typo on their part considering they didn't
have anything else closely resembling this board. But what is the
difference with Corsair's XMS memory vs. regular RAM?

Also in graphics cards, I'm debating on either an ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon
9800Pro or a non-AIW card so I can have 256MB instead of only 128, & get the
TV-Wonder2 or something like that for the video capture & TV abilities
(which that device would be portable being USB2).

Any good recommendations on power supplies? I'm thinking of a 400W.

Any input is very helpful as I'm building this in another week or two.

--

There are 10 types of people in this world...
....those who understand binary & those who don't.

Daniel wrote:
> I'm building a new system (still looking at the parts) & am running into a
> few questions.
>
> First off, my motherboard, I'm debating on the Gigabyte GA-K8NS-939 vs. the
> 939-Ultra (NewEgg shows $27 difference). The Ultra has some features that
> while I may not initially use, they may come in handy later. Other than
> that, I'm looking at the regular GA-K8NS-939 board. Also the board specs say
> it only supports the 130nm but others say they use a 90nm on it. Is this
> just a overlook/forgot to update the info or does the board really only
> support 130nm? (& what is the real difference?)
>
> My other biggest question on the motherboard is the heatsink mounting. I've
> read that the board uses plastic screws which would be a problem, but are
> they meaning the board to case mounting screws? If so then can't I just use
> some others I have as a replacement? I'm looking at the "ThermalTake
> ComboCool DIY Tower112" (NewEgg part#N8cE16835106044) which is a 60x60x145mm
> size & looks like it mounts THROUGH the board to the case (because of it's
> weight).
>
> Next, I'm considering either Kingston or Corsair memory, 512MBx2 dual
> channel memory at 400MHz. My problem is finding compatibility of them.
> Kingston's website lists the Gigabyte boards as GA-K8NSXP-939, which I'm
> sure is just a naming problem/typo on their part considering they didn't
> have anything else closely resembling this board. But what is the
> difference with Corsair's XMS memory vs. regular RAM?
>
> Also in graphics cards, I'm debating on either an ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon
> 9800Pro or a non-AIW card so I can have 256MB instead of only 128, & get the
> TV-Wonder2 or something like that for the video capture & TV abilities
> (which that device would be portable being USB2).
>
> Any good recommendations on power supplies? I'm thinking of a 400W.
>
> Any input is very helpful as I'm building this in another week or two.
>
> --
>
> There are 10 types of people in this world...
> ...those who understand binary & those who don't.

Often motherboards are designed for a range of processors. Then after
the motherboard is realeased, new processors come out. Sometimes newer
processors are supported and sometimes not. What I recommend is you go
to the manufacturers website and look for information on BIOS downloads.
Normally with the download is some information about what changes are
in the BIOS Download. Normally the information on the BIOS will let you
know if it supports the newer processors. Some companies like to brag
that an older motherboard supports newer processors to get sales. Then
at other times, the manufacturer will build overclocking into the
motherboard so it can be made to support the newer processors.