Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Mame in a pinball cabinet - Not plasma.

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 11:05:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Hi all,

I'm new to the newsgroup (my first ever usergroup posting). I've been
into MAME for a few years now and have had many projects planned over
the years but I finally finished one a few weeks back. Since I've
recently been addicted to pinball I knew I wanted my cabinet to be able
to play both pinball and Mame. Where I think most folks have been
putting pinball in arcade cabinets... I went the other way... Anyhow,
you can find some pictures of my PinMame cabinet at

http://home.comcast.net/~ataritoday/

Please let me know what you think about the cabinet and if you have any
questions! Thanks for looking.

Also, a big thanks to all those in that support this hobby...
Retroblast, Utilimarc, 3DArcade, Arcadecontrols, Oscar, Mameworld....
truely some amazingly talented folks.

Jim
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 4:38:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

DefJam thought about it a bit, then said...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to the newsgroup (my first ever usergroup posting). I've been
> into MAME for a few years now and have had many projects planned over
> the years but I finally finished one a few weeks back. Since I've
> recently been addicted to pinball I knew I wanted my cabinet to be able
> to play both pinball and Mame. Where I think most folks have been
> putting pinball in arcade cabinets... I went the other way... Anyhow,
> you can find some pictures of my PinMame cabinet at
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~ataritoday/

Wow, that's one cool and unique cab! How's PinMAME look at that
distance? How comfortable is the button layout?

Great design, btw. Only upgrade I can think of would be a plasma
display, but that's for when you win the lottery ;-)

--
Kevin Steele
RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews
www.retroblast.com
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 6:54:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Kevin,

First off, I owe you some thanks....it was your site that guided me on
how to wire up my speakers. Thanks!

Ok on to the questions.... Important to note I haven't had any
marathon gaming sessions yet...

Monitor Distance: It's a 19 inch screen, so its pretty big. Feels
about the same distance as a gauntlent cabinet and overall its
comfortable (I'm not leaning in at all to see it, even when I have
windows up). I may potentially upgrade to a 21" LCD monitor at some
point which I could move closer and mount much easier. I could move
the current monitor closer to the player (at a different angle) but I
would need to cut holes in the bottom of the cabinet to avoid it
sticking out the top..... which I wanted to avoid. So I rank it as
good but not perfect. IMPORTANT to note that the having a widebody
cabinet allowed that monitor to fit and allowed for some creative
control layout's...

Controls: Still two new to say... but I have an Arch Rivals machine
that has the joystick over the buttons and I've never had a problem
with it and also no customer complaints from anyone yet :) 

Using the trackball as a mouse with the two blue buttons on the top row
is ok, but not comfy, but I'm not using it as a mouse that often; Good
news is you can use the trackball with the player 1 buttons and its
real comfortable when playing games! Spinner is very comfortable as
well... not too high; I try and use the mouse buttons when using the
spinner.

Why 4 buttons and why that layout ? Well, I'm pretty much into the
classics and for me that means 3 buttons required max. 3 buttons are
very comfortable from left to right 3 thumb, 1 pointer finger and 2
middle finger. I added the 4th button because I had room on the
encoder, not in the most convenient spot, but it makes some neo geo
games possible which is nice and doesn't cramp the trackball... Also
nice for asteroids if you just want to use a combination of player 1
and 2 buttons... only regret so far is I don't have 3 buttons in a row
for missle command. ugh.

Sorry for the long response, but I still have that new cabinet
enthusiasm going strong.

Jim
Related resources
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 1:09:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

DefJam thought about it a bit, then said...
> Kevin,
>
> First off, I owe you some thanks....it was your site that guided me on
> how to wire up my speakers. Thanks!
>
> Ok on to the questions.... Important to note I haven't had any
> marathon gaming sessions yet...
>
> Monitor Distance: It's a 19 inch screen, so its pretty big. Feels
> about the same distance as a gauntlent cabinet and overall its
> comfortable (I'm not leaning in at all to see it, even when I have
> windows up). I may potentially upgrade to a 21" LCD monitor at some
> point which I could move closer and mount much easier. I could move
> the current monitor closer to the player (at a different angle) but I
> would need to cut holes in the bottom of the cabinet to avoid it
> sticking out the top..... which I wanted to avoid. So I rank it as
> good but not perfect. IMPORTANT to note that the having a widebody
> cabinet allowed that monitor to fit and allowed for some creative
> control layout's...
>
> Controls: Still two new to say... but I have an Arch Rivals machine
> that has the joystick over the buttons and I've never had a problem
> with it and also no customer complaints from anyone yet :) 
>
> Using the trackball as a mouse with the two blue buttons on the top row
> is ok, but not comfy, but I'm not using it as a mouse that often; Good
> news is you can use the trackball with the player 1 buttons and its
> real comfortable when playing games! Spinner is very comfortable as
> well... not too high; I try and use the mouse buttons when using the
> spinner.
>
> Why 4 buttons and why that layout ? Well, I'm pretty much into the
> classics and for me that means 3 buttons required max. 3 buttons are
> very comfortable from left to right 3 thumb, 1 pointer finger and 2
> middle finger. I added the 4th button because I had room on the
> encoder, not in the most convenient spot, but it makes some neo geo
> games possible which is nice and doesn't cramp the trackball... Also
> nice for asteroids if you just want to use a combination of player 1
> and 2 buttons... only regret so far is I don't have 3 buttons in a row
> for missle command. ugh.
>
> Sorry for the long response, but I still have that new cabinet
> enthusiasm going strong.
>
> Jim

Hey, no problem - it's worth being proud of, and is definitely not a
"run of the mill" cabinet!

I appreciate the insight into your design decisions. Too bad it wasn't a
pin with a plunger, or you could have modded that for VPinMAME!
(Although you certainly did a great job going with the ST:TNG theme!)

--
Kevin Steele
RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews
www.retroblast.com
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 7:16:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

If you ripped the gut out of that pinball machine, i would kill you.

Start Trek TNG is one of my top 5 fav. flippers...

Nice anyway
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 11:42:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

tore- thought about it a bit, then said...
> If you ripped the gut out of that pinball machine, i would kill you.
>
> Start Trek TNG is one of my top 5 fav. flippers...
>
> Nice anyway

He's already stated that he got the cab "pre-gutted"...

Interesting reaction on the rec.games.pinball group - most wanted their
pin and vid games "separate" from each other.

--
Kevin Steele
RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews
www.retroblast.com
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 4:19:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Tore - it was definitely pre-gutted.... didn't have buttons, coin
door, nothing but the lockdown bar, cabinet and the legs. STNG is on
my wish list so there is no way I would have gutted that machine.

Kevin,

I didn't know what to expect from the rec.games.pinball group...
that's why I posted here first! That is one hardcore pinball crowd and
appropriately so. I was flattered with the acceptance it received. I
think everyone is right on the design, the more you ask the machine to
do, the more compromises and trade-offs you make... just comes with
the territory.

By the way the plunger is interesting. I have a seperate control panel
(different project all together) with a plunger wired up for Pinmame...
looks really neat and works. Basically you pull back plunger which I
have rigged to trigger a switch, which activates pinmame. So it can
easilty be done... problem is take a look at the cabinet... if I put a
plunger on the cabinet, player 2 will most likely end up injuring his
family jewels on the plunger, so for safety reasons I decided against
and mounted the launch button instead, which is fully functioning...
hold launch, let go, ball plunges. If you want more info let me know..
I could post a picture of the plunger design....

I think I'm going to post over at AJ's as well to see what the table
authors think. It would be really really cool if we could design
tables in a wides screen format as if you were looking directly at them
from above... then you could mount in a cabinet longwise and it would
be REALLY cool.... and no having to mess with switch errors :) .
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 12:10:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

DefJam wrote:
-----8<-----
> It would be really really cool if we could design
> tables in a wides screen format as if you were looking directly at them
> from above... then you could mount in a cabinet longwise and it would
> be REALLY cool.... and no having to mess with switch errors :) .

It can't be /that/ difficult. The machine at plasmapinball.com is
running VP/VPinMAME and they said that I could load in all of my VP
tables..... <HAPPY_SIGH>

--
Thnik about it!
Deadly_Dad

milkwort@stealedq.net
tumidness@solifidianw.com
allotheism@dustpang.int
folgerite@aporrhegmat.com
iodate@feraly.com
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 3:07:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

"DefJam" <ataritoday@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:1122559507.693661.244200@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to the newsgroup (my first ever usergroup posting). I've been
> into MAME for a few years now and have had many projects planned over
> the years but I finally finished one a few weeks back. Since I've
> recently been addicted to pinball I knew I wanted my cabinet to be able
> to play both pinball and Mame. Where I think most folks have been
> putting pinball in arcade cabinets... I went the other way... Anyhow,
> you can find some pictures of my PinMame cabinet at
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~ataritoday/

Wow, if only all the noobs could have such a sweet first post :-)

AS
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 10:26:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Amedeo Storni wrote:
> "DefJam" <ataritoday@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:1122559507.693661.244200@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm new to the newsgroup (my first ever usergroup posting). I've been
> > into MAME for a few years now and have had many projects planned over
> > the years but I finally finished one a few weeks back. Since I've
> > recently been addicted to pinball I knew I wanted my cabinet to be able
> > to play both pinball and Mame. Where I think most folks have been
> > putting pinball in arcade cabinets... I went the other way... Anyhow,
> > you can find some pictures of my PinMame cabinet at
> >
> > http://home.comcast.net/~ataritoday/
>
> Wow, if only all the noobs could have such a sweet first post :-)
>



> Thanks Amedo :)  Good to finally get active in the Mame community.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 12:00:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

DefJam wrote:

>
> Monitor Distance: It's a 19 inch screen, so its pretty big.

Have you considered a 27" Wells-Garder 9200? I measured mine and it
looks like it would just fit in my TZ cabinet which I beleive is the
same size as the ST-TNG.

Orbian
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 12:38:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Hi, I wanted to got with a computer monitor so I could have the higher
resolutions for Pinmame and I had that monitor laying around. Not sure
if a 27 inch would fit in there or not... it would be real tight... I
think the cabinet is 23 1/8 wide.... I did have an inch or two on
each side of the monitor that's in there so it might fit. Something
to consider when I go for a "refresh" of the cabinet at some point.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 4:15:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

"FunkyDevil" <qs8rzr001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
news:1123232802.840297.273590@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
> Mame is real , pinLame is an abomination and all associated ....
>

The only negative thing I can say about pinmame, is it that it is less cool
than mame.
Apart from that, I love it!

AS
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 6:24:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Amedeo Stormi wrote:
> "FunkyDevil" <qs8rzr001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
> news:1123232802.840297.273590@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
>>Mame is real , pinLame is an abomination and all associated ....
>>
>
>
> The only negative thing I can say about pinmame, is it that it is less cool
> than mame.
> Apart from that, I love it!
>
> AS
>
>

Now if only katharsis would come out with PinFastMAME.....<G>

--
Thnik about it!
Deadly_Dad

quinism@proinvestmenti.com
sapek@pegmatizea.org
arriage@trousere.mz
knap@quiveringlyt.mil
employable@peloriated.net
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 2:17:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

In a parallel universe, Anti-Amedeo Storni said exactly the opposite of:

> "FunkyDevil" <qs8rzr001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
> news:1123232802.840297.273590@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>>
>> Mame is real , pinLame is an abomination and all associated ....
>>
>
> The only negative thing I can say about pinmame, is it that it is less
> cool than mame.
> Apart from that, I love it!

Don't waste your time responding to FunkyDevil, he is a troll who only
posts here to insult PinMame

Look:

http://groups.google.ca/groups?as_q=funkydevil&num=100
&scoring=r&hl=en&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_ugroup=alt.games.mame&as_usubje
ct=&as_uauthors=&lr=&as_drrb=q&as_qdr=&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny=1981
&as_maxd=5&as_maxm=8&as_maxy=2005&safe=off

or a non-broken link:
http://tinyurl.com/csfcf

*-) K.os
--
"He imagined for a moment his itinerary connecting up all the dots in the
sky like a child's numbered dots puzzle. He hoped that from some vantage
point in the Universe it might be seen to spell a very, very rude word" -
D. N. Adams
August 6, 2005 2:42:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

K.os wrote:
> In a parallel universe, Anti-Amedeo Storni said exactly the opposite of:
>
>
>>"FunkyDevil" <qs8rzr001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
>>news:1123232802.840297.273590@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>>
>>>Mame is real , pinLame is an abomination and all associated ....
>>>
>>
>>The only negative thing I can say about pinmame, is it that it is less
>>cool than mame.
>>Apart from that, I love it!
>
>
> Don't waste your time responding to FunkyDevil, he is a troll who only
> posts here to insult PinMame
>
> Look:
>
> http://groups.google.ca/groups?as_q=funkydevil&num=100
> &scoring=r&hl=en&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_ugroup=alt.games.mame&as_usubje
> ct=&as_uauthors=&lr=&as_drrb=q&as_qdr=&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny=1981
> &as_maxd=5&as_maxm=8&as_maxy=2005&safe=off
>
> or a non-broken link:
> http://tinyurl.com/csfcf
>
> *-) K.os

Strange fella... especially as Pinmame is an inanimate object and will
not be offended by the insults!
--
MCR
MAME(tm) - History In The Making
Live! Gamertag MCROnline
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 3:01:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

K.os's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> Don't waste your time responding to FunkyDevil, he is a troll who only
> posts here to insult PinMame

Ahh, I love kill files!
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 3:20:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

In a parallel universe, Anti-MCR said exactly the opposite of:

> Strange fella... especially as Pinmame is an inanimate object and will
> not be offended by the insults!

LOL!

You mean my keyboard isn't insulted when I scream at the letter 'a' for
being stuck?? I've wasted all that energy and _now_ they tell me! :-P

*-) K.os
--
"He imagined for a moment his itinerary connecting up all the dots in the
sky like a child's numbered dots puzzle. He hoped that from some vantage
point in the Universe it might be seen to spell a very, very rude word" -
D. N. Adams
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 3:22:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

In a parallel universe, Anti-Hellmark said exactly the opposite of:

> K.os's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
> were:
>> Don't waste your time responding to FunkyDevil, he is a troll who only
>> posts here to insult PinMame
>
> Ahh, I love kill files!

Yes, but when people reply to people in your kf you still see the posts if
they're not snipped...

*-) K.os
--
"He imagined for a moment his itinerary connecting up all the dots in the
sky like a child's numbered dots puzzle. He hoped that from some vantage
point in the Universe it might be seen to spell a very, very rude word" -
D. N. Adams
August 6, 2005 3:34:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

K.os wrote:
> In a parallel universe, Anti-Hellmark said exactly the opposite of:
>
>
>>K.os's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
>>were:
>>
>>>Don't waste your time responding to FunkyDevil, he is a troll who only
>>>posts here to insult PinMame
>>
>>Ahh, I love kill files!
>
>
> Yes, but when people reply to people in your kf you still see the posts if
> they're not snipped...
>
> *-) K.os

I dont bother with killfiles, I just ignore the wankers! :-)

--
MCR
MAME(tm) - History In The Making
Live! Gamertag MCROnline
August 6, 2005 3:35:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

K.os wrote:
> In a parallel universe, Anti-MCR said exactly the opposite of:
>
>
>>Strange fella... especially as Pinmame is an inanimate object and will
>>not be offended by the insults!
>
>
> LOL!
>
> You mean my keyboard isn't insulted when I scream at the letter 'a' for
> being stuck?? I've wasted all that energy and _now_ they tell me! :-P
>
> *-) K.os

He he he... shouting at the computer isnt a sign of madness, its when
you hear it shout back you should worry!

--
MCR
MAME(tm) - History In The Making
Live! Gamertag MCROnline
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 4:31:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

"K.os" <K.osNO@SPAMvideotron.ca> wrote in message
news:Xns96A9BA4B4BD4CEwigeSchlangekraft@news.videotron.net...

> or a non-broken link:
> http://tinyurl.com/csfcf

Or even better, http://tinyurl.com/dpk7h

Unfortunately, google groups ignores the "Group:" search term and searches
what appears to be most of the pinball related 'froups, but it does give a
more detailed window into his rabidity.

D.
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 11:38:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

"FunkyDevil" <qs8rzr001@sneakemail.com>after crossing the finish line at
the Special Olympics proudly proclaimed:

> DefJam wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> you can find some pictures of my PinMame cabinet at
>>
>> http://home.comcast.net/~ataritoday/
>>
>> Please let me know what you think about the cabinet and if you have
>> any questions! Thanks for looking.
>
>
> You have ruined the whole thing by putting pin-lame on it.
> Pin-lame is one of the worst lousiest pieces of software ever made.
> And the people that surround the program are complete and total
> losers.
>
> Alternatively , I never get tired of badmouthing them LOL

True that!

--
FSogol
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 2:34:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Haven't checked back in ahwile.... wow, and somebody had complimented
this a good first post, things appeared to get negative...... I
actually expected a tough response from the pinball.rec. forum but they
were actually really great about the whole thing.... a few folks
didn't like the idea of seeing this cab like this... but it was better
then it going to the dump, other then that they were full of good ideas
as well.

Anyhow, thanks to all that checked out the cab and all the
suggestions... I need to get geared up for a run at improvements...
work has just been chewing up my time. By the way BIG thanks to Kevin
at Retroblast for the news mention... My exact quote was Holy S%$! when
I saw the cab made his news section. I just saw it today for the first
time.
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 8:05:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

DefJam thought about it a bit, then said...
> Haven't checked back in ahwile.... wow, and somebody had complimented
> this a good first post, things appeared to get negative...... I
> actually expected a tough response from the pinball.rec. forum but they
> were actually really great about the whole thing.... a few folks
> didn't like the idea of seeing this cab like this... but it was better
> then it going to the dump, other then that they were full of good ideas
> as well.
>
> Anyhow, thanks to all that checked out the cab and all the
> suggestions... I need to get geared up for a run at improvements...
> work has just been chewing up my time. By the way BIG thanks to Kevin
> at Retroblast for the news mention... My exact quote was Holy S%$! when
> I saw the cab made his news section. I just saw it today for the first
> time.

No problem - it certainly deserved a mention.

And don't worry about FunkyDevil - he only shows up here occasionally to
incoherently bad-mouth PinMAME, then disappears for months. Consider him
the resident PinMAME troll (yes, each troll has their own speciality ;-)

--
Kevin Steele
RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews
www.retroblast.com
!