Miss-associated app runs with inserted Blank CD -- I thoug..

My kids associtated inserting a blank CD with Alcohol 120%.
Every time I insert a blank CD Alcohol runs.
Can someone help me put it back so it would list a choice of
programs to run and I could choose?

Please? Someone?

REH

Reh wrote:

> My kids associtated inserting a blank CD with Alcohol 120%.
> Every time I insert a blank CD Alcohol runs.
> Can someone help me put it back so it would list a choice of
> programs to run and I could choose?
>
> Please? Someone?
>
> REH

Right click on CDROM Drive in Explorer or My Computer and select PROPERTIES.

AUTOPLAY tab

In the drop down box select the type of CD you want to set the action on

Then either pick a program or check the "Prompt me ... " box

Reh wrote:

> My kids associtated inserting a blank CD with Alcohol 120%.
> Every time I insert a blank CD Alcohol runs.
> Can someone help me put it back so it would list a choice of
> programs to run and I could choose?
>
> Please? Someone?
>
> REH

If David's suggestion doesn't help, take a look at Windows Explorer --
Tools|Folder Options|File Types, and look at information on the subject
like this:

http://members.aol.com/ojatex/noext.htm

I once had a similar problem, and solved it with a registry entry to
associated files with no extensions with nothing, as I recall. I think
there's a similar solution, among other information under the link.

Bryan

David,

Thank you very much.
That worked on the money.
I didn't know that option was even there.
Sometimes it is very hard to find an option or switch.
I'd almost swear they move some of the more useful items with
each upgrade, sticking it in a place you would never think to
look.

Say, one more for you if you can.
Why can you change to a different icon with a shortcut using
properties, but (seemingly) nothing else. Jpg files for instant.
How can I change the icon for all Jps without reassociating Jpgs.

Reguardless I Thank you.

Reh wrote:

> David,
>
> Thank you very much.
> That worked on the money.
> I didn't know that option was even there.
> Sometimes it is very hard to find an option or switch.
> I'd almost swear they move some of the more useful items with
> each upgrade, sticking it in a place you would never think to
> look.
>
> Say, one more for you if you can.
> Why can you change to a different icon with a shortcut using
> properties,

Because a shortcut is, for lack of a better description, essentially a
'custom' thing. For example, if it's to a program you might want to set
what folder it starts in, associate a "shortcut key," etc. It's a 'unique'
thing, or can be, so setting the ICON, to differentiate it, is a logical
option to include and is part of *it's* properties (as are the other things
mentioned).

A file type, however, is global and not specific to a particular file.

Checking the properties for a file gives you the *specific* properties for
*that file* but that isn't what the Icon is associated with. It's
associated with the 'global' definition of what, to use your case, a "jpg"
extension means.

It's a matter of which 'properties' apply/belong to what. I.E. It doesn't
make a lot of sense to have a 'global' definition for all shortcuts, other
than some default to start off with till you customize the one being
created, so those things are it's unique properties. On the other hand it
doesn't make sense to 'customize' what 'jpg' means on a file by file basis
because that destroys the concept of having the global definition of "jpg"
'mean' something (consistent).

> but (seemingly) nothing else. Jpg files for instant.
> How can I change the icon for all Jps without reassociating Jpgs.

From either Control Panel "Folder Options" or the Windows Explorer
toolbar, TOOLS: Folder Options. Then "File Types" as if you were going to
change file associations. Select the file type (e.g. jpg) and press the
Advanced Button. Top option is to change ICON.