What purpose is USB type A to USB type A cable intended for?

Hi

I wasnt sure where else to ask this...

A while ago I bought a USB type A to USB type A cable thinking I could use
it to link to PC's. Its an easy enough thing to assume but fortunately,
before I tried it, I found out that this could fry the sockets at each end.

I reckon this cable should be supplied with a warning.

So I'm left wondering what else could this type of cable could be used for.

Does anyone know?

Thanks

Ian

Dee

Ian Roberts wrote:

> Hi
>
> I wasnt sure where else to ask this...
>
> A while ago I bought a USB type A to USB type A cable thinking I could use
> it to link to PC's. Its an easy enough thing to assume but fortunately,
> before I tried it, I found out that this could fry the sockets at each end.
>
> I reckon this cable should be supplied with a warning.
>
> So I'm left wondering what else could this type of cable could be used for.
>
> Does anyone know?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ian

If it's a Type A Male to Type A Female it can be used as an extension.
If it's double Male, I don't know of a good use for it. However, I know
there were some motherboards that had a USB connection specifically for
connecting 2 computers together. I forget what its designation was, but
it would not work for any other purpose. Apparently the lines were
crossed similar to null modem cable.

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 18:08:54 +0000 (UTC), "Ian Roberts"
<sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I wasnt sure where else to ask this...
>
>A while ago I bought a USB type A to USB type A cable thinking I could use
>it to link to PC's. Its an easy enough thing to assume but fortunately,
>before I tried it, I found out that this could fry the sockets at each end.
>
>I reckon this cable should be supplied with a warning.
>
>So I'm left wondering what else could this type of cable could be used for.
>
>Does anyone know?
>
>Thanks
>
>Ian

You can chop it in half and have two half-length cables for
some homebrew project.