Sound Card - Want to input both DVD & CD-ROM - How ?

Hi there,

I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Card (5.1) and a Philips CDRW
5200 "PLUS" a Pioneer DVR-109 (Player/Recorder).

The problem is this : I would like to have the audio outputs from BOTH
devices connected to the Sound Blaster Card at the same time !
It is mainly to listen to music while I burn on the other device !

At the moment I have left the side off the computer, so I can
plug/unplug each one to the Sound Blaster board as required .. not
very satisfactory !

There is an "Auxillary" socket on the Sound Blaster Board (says for TV
Tuner, MPEG or other similar cards) but plugging either drives into
this produces no sound !

Anyone any ideas how to do this ? or is it possible ?
I am an ex-electronics engineer, so soldering etc is no problem !
My first thought is to remove the 'pins' on one of the plugs and
solder the wires in parallel (maybe put diodes in to prevent feedback
from the 2 channels to the other drive ?)

Hope someone has done this and can advise !

Thanks in Advance,

Steve
9 answers Last reply
More about sound card input

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 01:34:41 +0000, Steve
    <steve@parity.demon.removethis.co.uk> wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Card (5.1) and a Philips CDRW
    >5200 "PLUS" a Pioneer DVR-109 (Player/Recorder).
    >
    >The problem is this : I would like to have the audio outputs from BOTH
    >devices connected to the Sound Blaster Card at the same time !
    >It is mainly to listen to music while I burn on the other device !
    >
    >At the moment I have left the side off the computer, so I can
    >plug/unplug each one to the Sound Blaster board as required .. not
    >very satisfactory !
    >
    >There is an "Auxillary" socket on the Sound Blaster Board (says for TV
    >Tuner, MPEG or other similar cards) but plugging either drives into
    >this produces no sound !

    By default, it's muted in the windows mixer as it's not usually used.

    To get it working, you need to pull up the mixer. Then go to
    OPTIONS > Properties. Look for a check box labelled "Auxilliary" or
    "Aux". Check it to get it to show up in the main mixer window. Close
    this dialog and go back to the main mixer window. Uncheck the Mute
    option and crank up the volume.

    Applaud and/or dance jig as desired.

    >Anyone any ideas how to do this ? or is it possible ?
    >I am an ex-electronics engineer, so soldering etc is no problem !
    >My first thought is to remove the 'pins' on one of the plugs and
    >solder the wires in parallel (maybe put diodes in to prevent feedback
    >from the 2 channels to the other drive ?)

    Since you have an Aux connector, there's no need to go to those
    extremes. At least not yet. As was previously mentioned in a post
    not more than a day or two ago, you really don't even need to use the
    audio cables on CD and DVD drives these days. It's strictly for
    analog playback of redbook audio and most programs use digital audio
    extraction for playback now -- for that, all you need is the IDE
    connection, and if the drives work at all, you've got that covered.

    MCheu

    Steve <steve@parity.demon.removethis.co.uk> wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Card (5.1) and a Philips CDRW
    > 5200 "PLUS" a Pioneer DVR-109 (Player/Recorder).
    >
    > The problem is this : I would like to have the audio outputs from BOTH
    > devices connected to the Sound Blaster Card at the same time !
    > It is mainly to listen to music while I burn on the other device !
    >
    > At the moment I have left the side off the computer, so I can
    > plug/unplug each one to the Sound Blaster board as required .. not
    > very satisfactory !
    >
    > There is an "Auxillary" socket on the Sound Blaster Board (says for TV
    > Tuner, MPEG or other similar cards) but plugging either drives into
    > this produces no sound !
    >
    > Anyone any ideas how to do this ? or is it possible ?
    > I am an ex-electronics engineer, so soldering etc is no problem !
    > My first thought is to remove the 'pins' on one of the plugs and
    > solder the wires in parallel (maybe put diodes in to prevent feedback
    > from the 2 channels to the other drive ?)
    >
    > Hope someone has done this and can advise !
    >
    > Thanks in Advance,
    >
    > Steve
    I must say I'm not entirely familiar with the hardware you speak of.
    However, many cards have a digital and analogue inputs and many CDROM
    Drives and DVD drives have both digital and analogue outputs. While I'm not
    sure if this will work, why not try connecting one to the digital input and the
    other to the analogue input.

    What I would probably do, meaning using a sledge hammer to crack a walnut,
    is to make a small opamp mixer circuit with unity gain and power it from
    the PC power supply.

    Hope this helps.

    --

    Wing Wong.
    Webpage: http://wing.ucc.asn.au

    Steve wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Card (5.1) and a Philips CDRW
    > 5200 "PLUS" a Pioneer DVR-109 (Player/Recorder).
    >
    > The problem is this : I would like to have the audio outputs from BOTH
    > devices connected to the Sound Blaster Card at the same time !
    > It is mainly to listen to music while I burn on the other device !

    there should be an AUX port on the audigy card plug it in there you may
    have to enable the port in your sound settings ... but why don't you
    just turn on digital audio for the DVR and CDR (control panel / system /
    hardware / device manager / DVD/CD-ROM drives .. right click each drive
    select properties then go to properties tab .. click Enable digital CD
    audio for this drive .. unplug cables .. throw them in the bin)

    Hi JD,

    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction !!!!

    The "Digital CD Playback" box in : Control Panel/System/Device
    Manager/CD ROM was 'greyed out' for both the CD and DVD !

    What I did do though is go to the "Volume Control Settings" in the
    Sound Blaster Audigy itself. This brings up a "Mixer Panel".

    The second from end control (Between the 'Microphone' and 'What you
    Hear' has a "drop down" feature at the top.
    I selected "CD Digital" then removed the 'Mute" tick that appeared in
    at the bottom !
    The Philips CD CDRW then burst into life and played the CD I had
    running in it.
    By the way I should have mentioned I an running Windows ME.

    Anyway, you helped me greatly and all is well now.
    You had the right idea but in my case it needed to be done in the
    'Audigy' software.

    Thanks very much !

    Steve

    In article <drg7211mlpp6qdd51skknbnl7o3um7ntvs@4ax.com>, Steve says...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Card (5.1) and a Philips CDRW
    > 5200 "PLUS" a Pioneer DVR-109 (Player/Recorder).
    >
    > The problem is this : I would like to have the audio outputs from BOTH
    > devices connected to the Sound Blaster Card at the same time !
    > It is mainly to listen to music while I burn on the other device !

    Why do you need the audio lead connected? I listen to music on my drive
    and there's not a CDROM/DVD audio lead in sight. It transfers the data
    over the IDE cable instead.

    --
    Conor

    -- George Patton

    "Conor" wrote:
    > Steve says...
    > Hi there,
    > >
    > > I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Card (5.1) and a Philips CDRW
    > > 5200 "PLUS" a Pioneer DVR-109 (Player/Recorder).
    > >
    > > The problem is this : I would like to have the audio outputs from BOTH
    > > devices connected to the Sound Blaster Card at the same time !
    > > It is mainly to listen to music while I burn on the other device !
    > >
    > Why do you need the audio lead connected? I listen to music on my drive
    > and there's not a CDROM/DVD audio lead in sight. It transfers the data
    > over the IDE cable instead.

    This can lag the computer and eat up CPU time, especially in older
    computers.. Given that the OP is using ME, it could be a very real issue,
    especially given the fact that he likes to listen to music while he burns
    media on the other unit. MCheu's answer is the most appropriate solution in
    this case, and directly answers the OP's question WRT being able to use both
    the AUX and INPUT inputs.

    Jon.

    If you are using Windows XP as your OS, then you do NOT have to connect
    either drives' audio cable to the sound card. With XP the audio signal from
    the optical drives is carried over the DATA ribbon cable; NOT over the audio
    cable.

    --
    DaveW

    "Steve" <steve@parity.demon.removethis.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Card (5.1) and a Philips CDRW
    > 5200 "PLUS" a Pioneer DVR-109 (Player/Recorder).
    >
    > The problem is this : I would like to have the audio outputs from BOTH
    > devices connected to the Sound Blaster Card at the same time !
    > It is mainly to listen to music while I burn on the other device !
    >
    > At the moment I have left the side off the computer, so I can
    > plug/unplug each one to the Sound Blaster board as required .. not
    > very satisfactory !
    >
    > There is an "Auxillary" socket on the Sound Blaster Board (says for TV
    > Tuner, MPEG or other similar cards) but plugging either drives into
    > this produces no sound !
    >
    > Anyone any ideas how to do this ? or is it possible ?
    > I am an ex-electronics engineer, so soldering etc is no problem !
    > My first thought is to remove the 'pins' on one of the plugs and
    > solder the wires in parallel (maybe put diodes in to prevent feedback
    > from the 2 channels to the other drive ?)
    >
    > Hope someone has done this and can advise !
    >
    > Thanks in Advance,
    >
    > Steve

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 01:34:41 +0000, Steve
    <steve@parity.demon.removethis.co.uk> wrote:

    >Anyone any ideas how to do this ? or is it possible ?
    >I am an ex-electronics engineer, so soldering etc is no problem !
    >My first thought is to remove the 'pins' on one of the plugs and
    >solder the wires in parallel (maybe put diodes in to prevent feedback
    >from the 2 channels to the other drive ?)

    If you had wanted to (needed to) build a bridge between the
    two, it would probably need high-resistance isolation
    resistors (offhand don't know values but maybe 100K) then
    optimally fed into a dual-channel opamp, OR ran straight
    into a quad opamp with switched output. CD player line-out
    just isn't very strong, diodes' voltage drop too high.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    kony wrote:

    > On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 01:34:41 +0000, Steve
    > <steve@parity.demon.removethis.co.uk> wrote:
    >

    >>Anyone any ideas how to do this ? or is it possible ?
    >>I am an ex-electronics engineer, so soldering etc is no problem !
    >>My first thought is to remove the 'pins' on one of the plugs and
    >>solder the wires in parallel (maybe put diodes in to prevent feedback
    >
    >>from the 2 channels to the other drive ?)
    >
    > If you had wanted to (needed to) build a bridge between the
    > two, it would probably need high-resistance isolation
    > resistors (offhand don't know values but maybe 100K) then
    > optimally fed into a dual-channel opamp, OR ran straight
    > into a quad opamp with switched output. CD player line-out
    > just isn't very strong, diodes' voltage drop too high.

    Diodes won't work because, for one, it's an AC signal, or should be
    (capacitively coupled), and you can't count on what the input impedance is
    in order to use a passive resistor adder, diodes or not. And even if you
    could you'd loose a lot of signal in the resistor divider.

    The only safe way to do it is with either an analog mixer (op amps), where
    you can control the impedance and gain it, or a switch, mechanical or CMOS.

Homebuilt Sound Blaster Systems