Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Sound Card - Want to input both DVD & CD-ROM - How ?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Sound Blaster
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
March 1, 2005 4:34:41 AM

Hi there,

I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Card (5.1) and a Philips CDRW
5200 "PLUS" a Pioneer DVR-109 (Player/Recorder).

The problem is this : I would like to have the audio outputs from BOTH
devices connected to the Sound Blaster Card at the same time !
It is mainly to listen to music while I burn on the other device !

At the moment I have left the side off the computer, so I can
plug/unplug each one to the Sound Blaster board as required .. not
very satisfactory !

There is an "Auxillary" socket on the Sound Blaster Board (says for TV
Tuner, MPEG or other similar cards) but plugging either drives into
this produces no sound !

Anyone any ideas how to do this ? or is it possible ?
I am an ex-electronics engineer, so soldering etc is no problem !
My first thought is to remove the 'pins' on one of the plugs and
solder the wires in parallel (maybe put diodes in to prevent feedback
from the 2 channels to the other drive ?)

Hope someone has done this and can advise !

Thanks in Advance,

Steve

More about : sound card input dvd rom

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2005 4:34:42 AM

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 01:34:41 +0000, Steve
<steve@parity.demon.removethis.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Card (5.1) and a Philips CDRW
>5200 "PLUS" a Pioneer DVR-109 (Player/Recorder).
>
>The problem is this : I would like to have the audio outputs from BOTH
>devices connected to the Sound Blaster Card at the same time !
>It is mainly to listen to music while I burn on the other device !
>
>At the moment I have left the side off the computer, so I can
>plug/unplug each one to the Sound Blaster board as required .. not
>very satisfactory !
>
>There is an "Auxillary" socket on the Sound Blaster Board (says for TV
>Tuner, MPEG or other similar cards) but plugging either drives into
>this produces no sound !

By default, it's muted in the windows mixer as it's not usually used.

To get it working, you need to pull up the mixer. Then go to
OPTIONS > Properties. Look for a check box labelled "Auxilliary" or
"Aux". Check it to get it to show up in the main mixer window. Close
this dialog and go back to the main mixer window. Uncheck the Mute
option and crank up the volume.

Applaud and/or dance jig as desired.

>Anyone any ideas how to do this ? or is it possible ?
>I am an ex-electronics engineer, so soldering etc is no problem !
>My first thought is to remove the 'pins' on one of the plugs and
>solder the wires in parallel (maybe put diodes in to prevent feedback
>from the 2 channels to the other drive ?)

Since you have an Aux connector, there's no need to go to those
extremes. At least not yet. As was previously mentioned in a post
not more than a day or two ago, you really don't even need to use the
audio cables on CD and DVD drives these days. It's strictly for
analog playback of redbook audio and most programs use digital audio
extraction for playback now -- for that, all you need is the IDE
connection, and if the drives work at all, you've got that covered.

MCheu
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2005 5:09:14 AM

Steve <steve@parity.demon.removethis.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Card (5.1) and a Philips CDRW
> 5200 "PLUS" a Pioneer DVR-109 (Player/Recorder).
>
> The problem is this : I would like to have the audio outputs from BOTH
> devices connected to the Sound Blaster Card at the same time !
> It is mainly to listen to music while I burn on the other device !
>
> At the moment I have left the side off the computer, so I can
> plug/unplug each one to the Sound Blaster board as required .. not
> very satisfactory !
>
> There is an "Auxillary" socket on the Sound Blaster Board (says for TV
> Tuner, MPEG or other similar cards) but plugging either drives into
> this produces no sound !
>
> Anyone any ideas how to do this ? or is it possible ?
> I am an ex-electronics engineer, so soldering etc is no problem !
> My first thought is to remove the 'pins' on one of the plugs and
> solder the wires in parallel (maybe put diodes in to prevent feedback
> from the 2 channels to the other drive ?)
>
> Hope someone has done this and can advise !
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> Steve
I must say I'm not entirely familiar with the hardware you speak of.
However, many cards have a digital and analogue inputs and many CDROM
Drives and DVD drives have both digital and analogue outputs. While I'm not
sure if this will work, why not try connecting one to the digital input and the
other to the analogue input.

What I would probably do, meaning using a sledge hammer to crack a walnut,
is to make a small opamp mixer circuit with unity gain and power it from
the PC power supply.

Hope this helps.

--

Wing Wong.
Webpage: http://wing.ucc.asn.au

Steve wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Card (5.1) and a Philips CDRW
> 5200 "PLUS" a Pioneer DVR-109 (Player/Recorder).
>
> The problem is this : I would like to have the audio outputs from BOTH
> devices connected to the Sound Blaster Card at the same time !
> It is mainly to listen to music while I burn on the other device !

there should be an AUX port on the audigy card plug it in there you may
have to enable the port in your sound settings ... but why don't you
just turn on digital audio for the DVR and CDR (control panel / system /
hardware / device manager / DVD/CD-ROM drives .. right click each drive
select properties then go to properties tab .. click Enable digital CD
audio for this drive .. unplug cables .. throw them in the bin)
March 1, 2005 10:10:45 AM

Hi JD,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction !!!!

The "Digital CD Playback" box in : Control Panel/System/Device
Manager/CD ROM was 'greyed out' for both the CD and DVD !

What I did do though is go to the "Volume Control Settings" in the
Sound Blaster Audigy itself. This brings up a "Mixer Panel".

The second from end control (Between the 'Microphone' and 'What you
Hear' has a "drop down" feature at the top.
I selected "CD Digital" then removed the 'Mute" tick that appeared in
at the bottom !
The Philips CD CDRW then burst into life and played the CD I had
running in it.
By the way I should have mentioned I an running Windows ME.

Anyway, you helped me greatly and all is well now.
You had the right idea but in my case it needed to be done in the
'Audigy' software.

Thanks very much !

Steve

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 02:44:58 +0000, JD <JD@No.Reply.sorry.com> wrote:

>Steve wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Card (5.1) and a Philips CDRW
>> 5200 "PLUS" a Pioneer DVR-109 (Player/Recorder).
>>
>> The problem is this : I would like to have the audio outputs from BOTH
>> devices connected to the Sound Blaster Card at the same time !
>> It is mainly to listen to music while I burn on the other device !
>>

>there should be an AUX port on the audigy card plug it in there you may
>have to enable the port in your sound settings ... but why don't you
>just turn on digital audio for the DVR and CDR (control panel / system /
>hardware / device manager / DVD/CD-ROM drives .. right click each drive
>select properties then go to properties tab .. click Enable digital CD
>audio for this drive .. unplug cables .. throw them in the bin)
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2005 3:48:04 PM

In article <drg7211mlpp6qdd51skknbnl7o3um7ntvs@4ax.com>, Steve says...
> Hi there,
>
> I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Card (5.1) and a Philips CDRW
> 5200 "PLUS" a Pioneer DVR-109 (Player/Recorder).
>
> The problem is this : I would like to have the audio outputs from BOTH
> devices connected to the Sound Blaster Card at the same time !
> It is mainly to listen to music while I burn on the other device !

Why do you need the audio lead connected? I listen to music on my drive
and there's not a CDROM/DVD audio lead in sight. It transfers the data
over the IDE cable instead.

--
Conor

-- George Patton
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2005 6:04:12 PM

"Conor" wrote:
> Steve says...
> Hi there,
> >
> > I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Card (5.1) and a Philips CDRW
> > 5200 "PLUS" a Pioneer DVR-109 (Player/Recorder).
> >
> > The problem is this : I would like to have the audio outputs from BOTH
> > devices connected to the Sound Blaster Card at the same time !
> > It is mainly to listen to music while I burn on the other device !
> >
> Why do you need the audio lead connected? I listen to music on my drive
> and there's not a CDROM/DVD audio lead in sight. It transfers the data
> over the IDE cable instead.

This can lag the computer and eat up CPU time, especially in older
computers.. Given that the OP is using ME, it could be a very real issue,
especially given the fact that he likes to listen to music while he burns
media on the other unit. MCheu's answer is the most appropriate solution in
this case, and directly answers the OP's question WRT being able to use both
the AUX and INPUT inputs.

Jon.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2005 7:19:55 PM

If you are using Windows XP as your OS, then you do NOT have to connect
either drives' audio cable to the sound card. With XP the audio signal from
the optical drives is carried over the DATA ribbon cable; NOT over the audio
cable.

--
DaveW

"Steve" <steve@parity.demon.removethis.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D rg7211mlpp6qdd51skknbnl7o3um7ntvs@4ax.com...
> Hi there,
>
> I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Card (5.1) and a Philips CDRW
> 5200 "PLUS" a Pioneer DVR-109 (Player/Recorder).
>
> The problem is this : I would like to have the audio outputs from BOTH
> devices connected to the Sound Blaster Card at the same time !
> It is mainly to listen to music while I burn on the other device !
>
> At the moment I have left the side off the computer, so I can
> plug/unplug each one to the Sound Blaster board as required .. not
> very satisfactory !
>
> There is an "Auxillary" socket on the Sound Blaster Board (says for TV
> Tuner, MPEG or other similar cards) but plugging either drives into
> this produces no sound !
>
> Anyone any ideas how to do this ? or is it possible ?
> I am an ex-electronics engineer, so soldering etc is no problem !
> My first thought is to remove the 'pins' on one of the plugs and
> solder the wires in parallel (maybe put diodes in to prevent feedback
> from the 2 channels to the other drive ?)
>
> Hope someone has done this and can advise !
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> Steve
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 2, 2005 7:32:34 AM

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 01:34:41 +0000, Steve
<steve@parity.demon.removethis.co.uk> wrote:

>Anyone any ideas how to do this ? or is it possible ?
>I am an ex-electronics engineer, so soldering etc is no problem !
>My first thought is to remove the 'pins' on one of the plugs and
>solder the wires in parallel (maybe put diodes in to prevent feedback
>from the 2 channels to the other drive ?)

If you had wanted to (needed to) build a bridge between the
two, it would probably need high-resistance isolation
resistors (offhand don't know values but maybe 100K) then
optimally fed into a dual-channel opamp, OR ran straight
into a quad opamp with switched output. CD player line-out
just isn't very strong, diodes' voltage drop too high.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 2, 2005 7:32:35 AM

kony wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 01:34:41 +0000, Steve
> <steve@parity.demon.removethis.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Anyone any ideas how to do this ? or is it possible ?
>>I am an ex-electronics engineer, so soldering etc is no problem !
>>My first thought is to remove the 'pins' on one of the plugs and
>>solder the wires in parallel (maybe put diodes in to prevent feedback
>
>>from the 2 channels to the other drive ?)
>
> If you had wanted to (needed to) build a bridge between the
> two, it would probably need high-resistance isolation
> resistors (offhand don't know values but maybe 100K) then
> optimally fed into a dual-channel opamp, OR ran straight
> into a quad opamp with switched output. CD player line-out
> just isn't very strong, diodes' voltage drop too high.

Diodes won't work because, for one, it's an AC signal, or should be
(capacitively coupled), and you can't count on what the input impedance is
in order to use a passive resistor adder, diodes or not. And even if you
could you'd loose a lot of signal in the resistor divider.

The only safe way to do it is with either an analog mixer (op amps), where
you can control the impedance and gain it, or a switch, mechanical or CMOS.