CD drive not appearing in Win98

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

I have put together this box with a new P/S, VIA Gigapro Motherboard which
is fine but the CD drive that I installed doesn't show up for Windows! It
does, however appear in the CMOS setup and is identified in the DOS screen
on start-up along with the Primary Master HD, it is the Secodary Master
drive. Seems to be normal (as the other ones I have set up). I've
checked jumper over and over--and changed them once--then back to
'Master'.
It's an older Yamaha 4416 that was working in another computer ok. I also
swapped another working Cd into the box with the same results!
I've gone through the CMOS set-up several times with the manual in hand
and everything looks normal. Yet Windows doesn't even _see_ the drive so
it can't have the wrong driver and I can't put the WIN98 Cd in because it
doesn't see it! Grrrr!
Funny thing is it _was_ there when I first put this thing together and it
disappeared. what am I missing here? Any help would sure be
appreciated.
Thanks,,,
21 answers Last reply
More about drive appearing win98
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    "Shoogle" <kjacobs@mts.net> wrote in message
    news:cb8d9912a15af2ec0ab9e2d508c545dc@localhost.talkaboutcomputing.com...
    >I have put together this box with a new P/S, VIA Gigapro Motherboard which
    > is fine but the CD drive that I installed doesn't show up for Windows! It
    > does, however appear in the CMOS setup and is identified in the DOS screen
    > on start-up along with the Primary Master HD, it is the Secodary Master
    > drive. Seems to be normal (as the other ones I have set up). I've
    > checked jumper over and over--and changed them once--then back to
    > 'Master'.
    > It's an older Yamaha 4416 that was working in another computer ok. I also
    > swapped another working Cd into the box with the same results!
    > I've gone through the CMOS set-up several times with the manual in hand
    > and everything looks normal. Yet Windows doesn't even _see_ the drive so
    > it can't have the wrong driver and I can't put the WIN98 Cd in because it
    > doesn't see it! Grrrr!
    > Funny thing is it _was_ there when I first put this thing together and it
    > disappeared. what am I missing here? Any help would sure be
    > appreciated.
    > Thanks,,,

    Win98 is bad about installing cd drives.. especially Creative 52x Cd Rom
    Drives...

    Best reason to avoid Win98 these days.. 8 )

    Good Luck with your problem.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    "Shoogle" <kjacobs@mts.net> wrote in message
    news:cb8d9912a15af2ec0ab9e2d508c545dc@localhost.talkaboutcomputing.com...
    > I have put together this box with a new P/S, VIA Gigapro Motherboard which
    > is fine but the CD drive that I installed doesn't show up for Windows! It
    > does, however appear in the CMOS setup and is identified in the DOS screen
    > on start-up along with the Primary Master HD, it is the Secodary Master
    > drive. Seems to be normal (as the other ones I have set up). I've
    > checked jumper over and over--and changed them once--then back to
    > 'Master'.
    > It's an older Yamaha 4416 that was working in another computer ok. I also
    > swapped another working Cd into the box with the same results!
    > I've gone through the CMOS set-up several times with the manual in hand
    > and everything looks normal. Yet Windows doesn't even _see_ the drive so
    > it can't have the wrong driver and I can't put the WIN98 Cd in because it
    > doesn't see it! Grrrr!
    > Funny thing is it _was_ there when I first put this thing together and it
    > disappeared. what am I missing here? Any help would sure be
    > appreciated.
    > Thanks,,,
    >


    win98 should not have any problems "seeing" your cdrom...
    so there should be no need to use any other OS

    next time yoy turn on your machine , hit F5 .
    do that right after the bios messages
    but just before the OS loads...that should bring you to safe mode.
    from there...go into the control panel...system...hardware

    and delete all instances of your cdrom

    then reboot and hopefully windows will pcik it up ok

    in *very rare* instances if i could not get a cdrom detected by windows...
    i;ve ended up just installing the dos drivers for it and gotten it
    working...
    but doing that should not be necessary under normal circumstances

    (yes i know...there is no such thing as "normal circumstances" )
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Shoogle wrote:
    > the CD drive that I installed doesn't show up for
    > Windows! It does, however appear in the CMOS setup
    > and is identified in the DOS screen on start-up
    > along with the Primary Master HD, it is the Secodary
    > Master drive.

    I've had the same thing happen several times, and I was always rescued
    by reactivating the old DOS CD-ROM drivers in the CONFIG.SYS and
    AUTOEXEC.BAT files.

    In the CONFIG.SYS file you want to see a line like this:

    DRIVER=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD000

    And in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file you need something like:

    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000

    Those lines may each have a REM in front, in which case edit out the
    REMs.

    The paths of the OAKCDROM.SYS and MSCDEX.EXE driver programs may be
    different in your system (My own OAKCDROM.SYS file is stored in the
    folder C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMMAND\EBD). MSCD000 is the name of the CD
    drive but can be anything so long as the same name is used for both
    driver programs. OAKCDROM.SYS should also be on the Win98 start-up
    disk, or your system may have a different driver program, like
    TAISATAP.SYS or VIDE-CDD.SYS.

    After rebooting, Win98 should show the CD drive, but if not, try
    booting again in Safe Mode, remove all mentions of CD drives, reedit
    the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files to remove the REMs from the
    driver file lines, and boot once more.

    The Device Manager may show a yellow check mark next to it, and it may
    be running in MS-DOS compatibility mode with the DMA turned off.
    Reediting the AUTOEXEC.BAT file by putting back the REM in front of the
    MSCDEX line and rebooting should eliminate this. It seems to be OK to
    leave the CONFIG.SYS file with the OAKCDROM.SYS driver still activated,
    but I found that doing this reduces the top speed of the drive by a
    lot.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 05:40:14 GMT, "Morituri-|-Max"
    <newage@sendarico.net> wrote:

    >
    >"Shoogle" <kjacobs@mts.net> wrote in message
    >news:cb8d9912a15af2ec0ab9e2d508c545dc@localhost.talkaboutcomputing.com...
    >>I have put together this box with a new P/S, VIA Gigapro Motherboard which
    >> is fine but the CD drive that I installed doesn't show up for Windows! It
    >> does, however appear in the CMOS setup and is identified in the DOS screen
    >> on start-up along with the Primary Master HD, it is the Secodary Master
    >> drive. Seems to be normal (as the other ones I have set up). I've
    >> checked jumper over and over--and changed them once--then back to
    >> 'Master'.
    >> It's an older Yamaha 4416 that was working in another computer ok. I also
    >> swapped another working Cd into the box with the same results!
    >> I've gone through the CMOS set-up several times with the manual in hand
    >> and everything looks normal. Yet Windows doesn't even _see_ the drive so
    >> it can't have the wrong driver and I can't put the WIN98 Cd in because it
    >> doesn't see it! Grrrr!
    >> Funny thing is it _was_ there when I first put this thing together and it
    >> disappeared. what am I missing here? Any help would sure be
    >> appreciated.
    >> Thanks,,,
    >
    >Win98 is bad about installing cd drives.. especially Creative 52x Cd Rom
    >Drives...
    >
    >Best reason to avoid Win98 these days.. 8 )
    >
    >Good Luck with your problem.
    >


    Nonsense

    Are you a troll?
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Shoogle wrote:
    > I have put together this box with a new P/S, VIA Gigapro Motherboard which
    > is fine but the CD drive that I installed doesn't show up for Windows! It
    > does, however appear in the CMOS setup and is identified in the DOS screen
    > on start-up along with the Primary Master HD, it is the Secodary Master
    > drive. Seems to be normal (as the other ones I have set up). I've
    > checked jumper over and over--and changed them once--then back to
    > 'Master'.
    > It's an older Yamaha 4416 that was working in another computer ok. I also
    > swapped another working Cd into the box with the same results!
    > I've gone through the CMOS set-up several times with the manual in hand
    > and everything looks normal. Yet Windows doesn't even _see_ the drive so
    > it can't have the wrong driver and I can't put the WIN98 Cd in because it
    > doesn't see it! Grrrr!
    > Funny thing is it _was_ there when I first put this thing together and it
    > disappeared. what am I missing here? Any help would sure be
    > appreciated.
    > Thanks,,,
    >
    I got to ask- is this a SCSI drive?
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    ive managed to get it detecting by reinstalling windows when it happened to
    me recently.

    "Morituri-|-Max" <newage@sendarico.net> wrote in message
    news:2fTUd.934$Qz1.754@fe2.texas.rr.com...
    >
    > "Shoogle" <kjacobs@mts.net> wrote in message
    > news:cb8d9912a15af2ec0ab9e2d508c545dc@localhost.talkaboutcomputing.com...
    > >I have put together this box with a new P/S, VIA Gigapro Motherboard
    which
    > > is fine but the CD drive that I installed doesn't show up for Windows!
    It
    > > does, however appear in the CMOS setup and is identified in the DOS
    screen
    > > on start-up along with the Primary Master HD, it is the Secodary Master
    > > drive. Seems to be normal (as the other ones I have set up). I've
    > > checked jumper over and over--and changed them once--then back to
    > > 'Master'.
    > > It's an older Yamaha 4416 that was working in another computer ok. I
    also
    > > swapped another working Cd into the box with the same results!
    > > I've gone through the CMOS set-up several times with the manual in hand
    > > and everything looks normal. Yet Windows doesn't even _see_ the drive
    so
    > > it can't have the wrong driver and I can't put the WIN98 Cd in because
    it
    > > doesn't see it! Grrrr!
    > > Funny thing is it _was_ there when I first put this thing together and
    it
    > > disappeared. what am I missing here? Any help would sure be
    > > appreciated.
    > > Thanks,,,
    >
    > Win98 is bad about installing cd drives.. especially Creative 52x Cd Rom
    > Drives...
    >
    > Best reason to avoid Win98 these days.. 8 )
    >
    > Good Luck with your problem.
    >
    >
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    "senn" <trichoglesus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:38iu8mF5jo1djU1@individual.net...
    > ive managed to get it detecting by reinstalling windows when it happened
    > to
    > me recently.

    Yep.. back when I used Win98 that was usually the solution, along with
    tracking down various drivers on the internet.. thankfully I no longer have
    to do that.. much as I hate microsoft, winxp certainly has simplified the
    installation process..
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Morituri-|-Max wrote:
    > "senn" <trichoglesus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:38iu8mF5jo1djU1@individual.net...
    >
    >>ive managed to get it detecting by reinstalling windows when it happened
    >>to
    >>me recently.
    >
    >
    > Yep.. back when I used Win98 that was usually the solution, along with
    > tracking down various drivers on the internet.. thankfully I no longer have
    > to do that.. much as I hate microsoft, winxp certainly has simplified the
    > installation process..
    >
    >

    You can get them to disappear in XP too. Here's one example.

    http://www.theeldergeek.com/restore_missing_cd_or_dvd_drive.htm

    But that jogged my memory. He only said CD drive but when I googled the
    part number it's a CD-RW.

    To OP: You don't happen to have multiple burner programs installed do you?
    And how about Roxio EZCDCreator? It can happen in versions 4, 5 and 6 (and
    maybe they just haven't added 7 to the list yet). Go to roxio and put
    "missing drive" into the knowledge base search engine.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Thanks for all your input; appreciate it.
    Yes David it _is_ an older CDR burner, but I also tried a regular Sony
    drive from another system (old, of course--and Win98 too <g>).
    As far as upping to XP I just don't have the finances, etc. as I'm an old
    retired bugger on pension.
    I guess I've gotten so used to Windows after all these years I've been
    using it.
    The only program that was on that Hard drive is Nero from quite a while
    back--I dunno maybe will have to re-install Windows.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    There might be problem in the data cable that connects the CD ROM to the
    Mother Board.
    Check if the connection is fine or try changing the cable.

    Regards,
    Rajesh B.K.


    "Shoogle" <kjacobs@mts.net> wrote in message
    news:9c7befe4abf2639434c85fc81acb85af@localhost.talkaboutcomputing.com...
    > Thanks for all your input; appreciate it.
    > Yes David it _is_ an older CDR burner, but I also tried a regular Sony
    > drive from another system (old, of course--and Win98 too <g>).
    > As far as upping to XP I just don't have the finances, etc. as I'm an old
    > retired bugger on pension.
    > I guess I've gotten so used to Windows after all these years I've been
    > using it.
    > The only program that was on that Hard drive is Nero from quite a while
    > back--I dunno maybe will have to re-install Windows.
    >
    >
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Shoogle wrote:
    > Thanks for all your input; appreciate it.
    > Yes David it _is_ an older CDR burner, but I also tried a regular Sony
    > drive from another system (old, of course--and Win98 too <g>).
    > As far as upping to XP I just don't have the finances, etc. as I'm an old
    > retired bugger on pension.
    > I guess I've gotten so used to Windows after all these years I've been
    > using it.
    > The only program that was on that Hard drive is Nero from quite a while
    > back--I dunno maybe will have to re-install Windows.
    >
    >

    Well, the burner issue isn't drive specific. It has to do with hooks they
    put in for the burner software that sometimes cause the drive to disappear.
    It's most common when multiple burner programs confuse each other but it
    can happen at other times too. Roxio is particular notorious for not
    'fixing up' it's own registry entries but nero has a few quirks as well.

    I haven't followed all that's been done so this is probably a repeat but if
    it's showing in BIOS, which I notice you say it is, then check in device
    manager and see if it's showing up there. If it's 'yellow' then remove and
    let windows redetect (scan for hardware changes). If it shows there but not
    in my computer then it may be a nero problem (especially if you're using
    the drag to CD stuff). Remove and reinstall nero.

    If none of that works, from the START button select run and type in SFC
    <enter>. That's the system file checker and it'll scan for corrupt system
    files and will give you the option to restore them from your windows98 CD
    if it finds any. It should be noted, that only looks at WINDOWS files and
    doesn't fix installed applications.

    Some additional tools would be to get tweakUI. Free from microsoft.
    http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/powertoys/networking/nttweakui.asp
    In tweakUI you can check to see if the CD drive has been 'deselected' from
    being visible.

    Another is regclean; a registry cleaner. It doesn't usually 'fix' things
    but it removes unnecessary entries so windows work a little faster
    (shortens the time windows has to search in order to find things in the
    registry) but it can, occasionally, 'fix' things if there are remnants
    'left over' from programs.

    http://download.com.com/3000-2094-881470.html.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    "kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
    news:9ck921l667fs29qbje88jo661uiqoel2li@4ax.com...

    >>Win98 is bad about installing cd drives.. especially Creative 52x Cd Rom
    >>Drives...
    >>
    >>Best reason to avoid Win98 these days.. 8 )
    >>
    >>Good Luck with your problem.
    >
    > Nonsense
    >
    > Are you a troll?

    No, I could just as easily ask if you are an idiot? Or are you just having
    a crabby moment?

    I assure you I have had quite a few experiences with win98 and creative cd
    drives. Really.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    "Shoogle" <kjacobs@mts.net> wrote in message
    news:9c7befe4abf2639434c85fc81acb85af@localhost.talkaboutcomputing.com...
    > Thanks for all your input; appreciate it.
    > Yes David it _is_ an older CDR burner, but I also tried a regular Sony
    > drive from another system (old, of course--and Win98 too <g>).
    > As far as upping to XP I just don't have the finances, etc. as I'm an old
    > retired bugger on pension.
    > I guess I've gotten so used to Windows after all these years I've been
    > using it.
    > The only program that was on that Hard drive is Nero from quite a while
    > back--I dunno maybe will have to re-install Windows.
    >
    >
    you could shift to Linux. download xandros odc for free. :-D
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    "senn" <trichoglesus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:38k533F5ovs8iU1@individual.net...
    >
    > "Shoogle" <kjacobs@mts.net> wrote in message
    > news:9c7befe4abf2639434c85fc81acb85af@localhost.talkaboutcomputing.com...
    >> Thanks for all your input; appreciate it.
    >> Yes David it _is_ an older CDR burner, but I also tried a regular Sony
    >> drive from another system (old, of course--and Win98 too <g>).
    >> As far as upping to XP I just don't have the finances, etc. as I'm an old
    >> retired bugger on pension.
    >> I guess I've gotten so used to Windows after all these years I've been
    >> using it.
    >> The only program that was on that Hard drive is Nero from quite a while
    >> back--I dunno maybe will have to re-install Windows.
    >>
    >>
    > you could shift to Linux. download xandros odc for free. :-D

    Depending on how old a bugger he is, he may not live long enough to switch
    over and learn how to use linux.. heh
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Wow! Sure got a lot of action on this query! Thanks everyone for your
    input.
    The latest:
    Just to recap--I put a VIA Gigapro M.B. in a new box with power supply,
    has 256 Meg. SDRAM, used a W.D. Caviar 1.2 G drive that was loaded with
    Win98 Plus and the Yamaha CD (CDR) wouldn't show up in Windows Hardware
    (Device Mgr.) etc.
    Yesterday I fooled around (yes I probably am a Fool) with 1. Starting in
    'Safe Mode' where lo' and behold a CDROM is listed in the 'Device Mgr.' so
    I thought 'aha' maybe here's the trouble. I actually saw that there were
    about 3 extra drivers (Sony ones) listed there so I removed the extra
    ones. Then rebooted Win98 regular and there was the CD. I accessed files
    from CD's inserted and ran a program from it. 2.Then, I thought I'll just
    make sure this is permanent. NOT! When I rebooted again all of it was
    gone--no CDROM listing in Dev. Mgr. -- nothin' I guess, next I'll check
    what 'larry moe 'n curly' suggest and go into the CONFIG.SYS and
    AUTOEXEC.BAT and have a look around. Wish me luck!
    TTFN
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    "kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
    news:bkmb2192drkmijfe7umfhcuf1op7akmddd@4ax.com...

    > You could, but you were the one making sweeping assumptions
    > in error.

    > Having over a dozen win98 boxes here, ALL with newer CDROMs
    > and NONE of them having a problem, I dont' even have to

    How nice... however sweeping assumptions aren't only being made by me here..
    you say "newer" CDROMS.. I never said the drives I had problems with were
    "newer" drives.. I was talking about my experiences with them 4 or 5 years
    ago. Out of 6 creative cd rom drives, 4 of them took a serious amount of
    time to install as they would refuse to appear intermittently.. which made
    it quite impossible to continue with the installation of win98. Also, those
    same drives would not appear to win98 after the installation was complete..
    you would boot the system, the drive light would come on and stay on, then
    would not show up in my computer. Solution was to reboot.

    It's very nice that you can have no problems with win98 and "newer" drives.
    Just please don't call statements by people who occasionally disagree with
    you "nonsense" without knowing the whole story. I don't call your
    statements nonsense, please don't do so to me. You aren't the only person on
    the planet who has had some experience with windows going back before win98.

    Even with all that, the original poster HAS a problem installing an older
    drive and his OS is win98, so obviously there ARE drives that do precisely
    what he and I both have seen it do. The drive does not show up, either
    intermittently or at all. What is nonsense about that?

    Thanks and have a good one
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:31:01 GMT, "Morituri-|-Max"
    <newage@sendarico.net> wrote:


    >How nice... however sweeping assumptions aren't only being made by me here..
    >you say "newer" CDROMS.. I never said the drives I had problems with were
    >"newer" drives.. I was talking about my experiences with them 4 or 5 years
    >ago.

    Newer meant drives sold since the original release of Win98,
    not contemporary drive models.

    >Out of 6 creative cd rom drives, 4 of them took a serious amount of
    >time to install as they would refuse to appear intermittently.. which made
    >it quite impossible to continue with the installation of win98.

    There it is then, you didn't have a problem with Win98, it
    was a DOS problem, possibly the DOS driver or ??


    > Also, those
    >same drives would not appear to win98 after the installation was complete..
    >you would boot the system, the drive light would come on and stay on, then
    >would not show up in my computer. Solution was to reboot.

    I'd have to have the system in front of me to know what was
    going on, but it sounds like either hardware
    misconfiguration or a defective drive, not a "Creative and
    Win98" problem at all.


    >
    >It's very nice that you can have no problems with win98 and "newer" drives.
    >Just please don't call statements by people who occasionally disagree with
    >you "nonsense" without knowing the whole story. I don't call your
    >statements nonsense, please don't do so to me. You aren't the only person on
    >the planet who has had some experience with windows going back before win98.

    Never claimed I was.
    That doesn't change the fact that companies get blamed for
    things that aren't their fault. I'm no Microsoft fan, and
    yet it's pointless to blame any particular product when
    there is not a clear fault. Your opening statement wasn't
    about Creative drives though, rather Win98 in general and
    that was without question, incorrect.


    >
    >Even with all that, the original poster HAS a problem installing an older
    >drive and his OS is win98, so obviously there ARE drives that do precisely
    >what he and I both have seen it do.

    This is where your logic fails.

    1) OP has a problem with a drive.
    2) OS is Win98

    #1 doesn't necessarily depend on #2.
    #2 may not be intact, a clean install of Win98 and a basic
    IDE configuration would be needed to test this. THEN it
    would need be tested on another motherboard. Even then
    there are other variables. Claiming a problematic
    relationship between the two devices is pointless until the
    other more common variables/problems have been checked.
    It cannot be assumed that (win98 therefore CD drive likely
    to be a problem), nor is that a good place to start looking
    as the odds are against it being the cause. It may not be
    impossible but a specific cause would go a long way towards
    that argument, and would isolate which specific drives are
    at issue.


    >The drive does not show up, either
    >intermittently or at all. What is nonsense about that?

    The conclusion you drew.
    Further, the nonsense about "Best reason to avoid Win98
    these days". Win98 has significant resource limits, memory
    limits, drive capacity limits, et al- Several reasons a
    power users or certain applications or systems might need
    something else, but the odds of whether someone would be
    able to get an CD drive working isn't usually one of them.
    When it happens it's a rarity, suggesting otherwise is, as
    I've already state, nonsense.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Shoogle wrote:
    > Wow! Sure got a lot of action on this query! Thanks everyone for your
    > input.
    > The latest:
    > Just to recap--I put a VIA Gigapro M.B. in a new box with power supply,
    > has 256 Meg. SDRAM, used a W.D. Caviar 1.2 G drive that was loaded with
    > Win98 Plus and the Yamaha CD (CDR) wouldn't show up in Windows Hardware
    > (Device Mgr.) etc.
    > Yesterday I fooled around (yes I probably am a Fool) with 1. Starting in
    > 'Safe Mode' where lo' and behold a CDROM is listed in the 'Device Mgr.' so
    > I thought 'aha' maybe here's the trouble. I actually saw that there were
    > about 3 extra drivers (Sony ones) listed there so I removed the extra
    > ones. Then rebooted Win98 regular and there was the CD. I accessed files
    > from CD's inserted and ran a program from it. 2.Then, I thought I'll just
    > make sure this is permanent. NOT! When I rebooted again all of it was
    > gone--no CDROM listing in Dev. Mgr. -- nothin' I guess, next I'll check
    > what 'larry moe 'n curly' suggest and go into the CONFIG.SYS and
    > AUTOEXEC.BAT and have a look around. Wish me luck!
    > TTFN
    >

    The thing that sticks out there is the "drive that was loaded with Win98
    Plus." If, by that, you mean it was a win98 system that had been installed
    on another motherboard and you just swapped the drive over that could be
    the problem as even win98 doesn't always automagically discover all the new
    hardware on a new motherboard. It's possible it's confused about the
    motherboard itself (wrong PnP enumerator, for example) and that confusion
    could be preventing it from properly finding the CD drive.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Yes David, you're probably right about that. I guess the best thing to do
    is just start over with a re-install of Windows (maybe I should bite the
    bullet and go to XP!) Thanks for the suggestion.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Shoogle wrote:

    > Yes David, you're probably right about that. I guess the best thing to do
    > is just start over with a re-install of Windows (maybe I should bite the
    > bullet and go to XP!) Thanks for the suggestion.
    >

    Well, you could do a partial check by looking at your system devices in
    device manager to see if they look like the right ones for the chipset and,
    if not, remove those and let it redected them.

    I've had a couple that took going into safe mode and removing virtually all
    the devices so they'd get redetected but, even then, it looked like it
    might not even work because it had a heck of a time discovering the right
    PnP enumerator and, without that, it couldn't find things like the IDE
    controller, which meant it operated on the dumb default one that doesn't
    know about the second port, which meant no CD to install the right drivers
    from... aaaaarg.

    The lesson there was to copy the CD's win98 directory to the hard drive so
    it can install from there.

    What I'd do is copy the win98 directory over and invoke an 'upgrade' from
    there. Similar to doing a repair reinstall of XP it'll redetect the devices
    during the 'upgrade'. You'll then need to redo Windows updates.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Well, I did try all the good suggestions (I think, all at least). Dev. Mgr.
    Config.sys, etc. and thought 'why am I doing all this?' For the fun of it
    I guess! Finally decided to do the logical thing and just re-install Win98
    from scratch. Of course DOS saw the CD with it's simple driver etc. So...I
    just reformatted the drive and started over.
    It was an interesting experience tho' Thanks, all, for your suggestions.
    Ta Ta KJ
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt CD Drives Systems