Slow connection

davy

I have the following problem when I start up my computer (Win XP Pro SP2) :

The computer starts up just fine except that it takes a very long time for
the computer to connect to the internet (Lan or wireless). Also I noticed
that after logging on when I go directly to the control panel and select
‘Network Connections’ it takes about two minutes for that screen to open.
I’m not sure it has something to do with the nework connections because even
if I try to open ‘System properties’ (directly after logging on) to check the
hardware devices it also takes about two minutes to open that screen. After
the screen is opened the computer connects fast and correct to the internet.

On my laptop I also have Win XP Pro SP2 and after logging on it only takes
about 10 seconds for everything to load and connect to the internet. So I was
wondering what could be different on my computer ?

Thanks in advance,
Davy

Malke

Davy wrote:

> I have the following problem when I start up my computer (Win XP Pro
> SP2) :
>
> The computer starts up just fine except that it takes a very long time
> for the computer to connect to the internet (Lan or wireless). Also I
> noticed that after logging on when I go directly to the control panel
> and select 'Network Connections' it takes about two minutes for that
> screen to open. I'm not sure it has something to do with the nework
> connections because even if I try to open 'System properties'
> (directly after logging on) to check the hardware devices it also
> takes about two minutes to open that screen. After the screen is
> opened the computer connects fast and correct to the internet.
>
> On my laptop I also have Win XP Pro SP2 and after logging on it only
> takes about 10 seconds for everything to load and connect to the
> internet. So I was wondering what could be different on my computer ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Davy

Hi, Davy. Since you haven't told us how the (presumably) desktop
connects to the Internet or any of your network details (home lan, work
domain, etc.) I can't give you a specific answer. It sounds like the
desktop perhaps has some incorrect DNS settings or is looking for a
nonexistant network resource and is timing out. Or you have something
set to start up with Windows that doesn't exist and the machine is
timing out.

The best way to troubleshoot this is to start with some clean-boot
t-shooting:

Clean Boot - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=310353
and How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

Of course you also should be sure that the desktop is 100% virus and
malware-free, but it sounds more like a timing-out issue.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

davy

Hey Malke,

First of all, sorry for the cross-posting. I know I shouldn't, but just
wasn't shure where to post so...

Anyway, here's some more detail information: The pc is indeed a (new)
desktop. I connect to the internet using a wireless connection at home.
Everything is configured just fine and I can connect (safe and protected) to
the internet. Only it takes some time (about two minutes). My laptop does in
about 10sec.

When logged on, I can immediately work with whatever application installed,
only the control panel hangs for about two minutes. Meaning I can open the
control panel, but when I try to open a subitem (not only network
connections) it takes about two minutes for it to show. After those two
minutes everything runs fine and the pc also connects to the internet.

I'll try your suggestions at home and will let you know what I find out.

Thanks for the swift reply !
Davy

"Malke" wrote:

> Davy wrote:
>
> > I have the following problem when I start up my computer (Win XP Pro
> > SP2) :
> >
> > The computer starts up just fine except that it takes a very long time
> > for the computer to connect to the internet (Lan or wireless). Also I
> > noticed that after logging on when I go directly to the control panel
> > and select ‘Network Connections’ it takes about two minutes for that
> > screen to open. I’m not sure it has something to do with the nework
> > connections because even if I try to open ‘System properties’
> > (directly after logging on) to check the hardware devices it also
> > takes about two minutes to open that screen. After the screen is
> > opened the computer connects fast and correct to the internet.
> >
> > On my laptop I also have Win XP Pro SP2 and after logging on it only
> > takes about 10 seconds for everything to load and connect to the
> > internet. So I was wondering what could be different on my computer ?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Davy
>
> Hi, Davy. Since you haven't told us how the (presumably) desktop
> connects to the Internet or any of your network details (home lan, work
> domain, etc.) I can't give you a specific answer. It sounds like the
> desktop perhaps has some incorrect DNS settings or is looking for a
> nonexistant network resource and is timing out. Or you have something
> set to start up with Windows that doesn't exist and the machine is
> timing out.
>
> The best way to troubleshoot this is to start with some clean-boot
> t-shooting:
>
> Clean Boot - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=310353
> and How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP -
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560
>
> Of course you also should be sure that the desktop is 100% virus and
> malware-free, but it sounds more like a timing-out issue.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

davy

Hello Malke,

I narrowed the problem down and it is most certainly the wireless device
that slows down the system for about two minutes! When this device isn't
installed (and connect using an ethernet adapter) everything runs as fast as
a train...

I have a usrobotics (USR805416) Wireless Turbo PCI Adapter.

Greetings,
Davy