ATX power supply question

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Hi,

I've just purchased a load of bits, including an Antec Sonata case
(lurvily!!) and an Asus A8V-E deluxe motherboard.

However, it appears I have a problem.. well I hope not, but if anyone
can help I'd be grateful.

On the motherboard, there is a 24 pin 'EATXPWR' connector and a 4 pin
ATX12V connector. It says that an ATX 12V specification 2.0 compliant
PSU should be used (which I thought mine was..).

However, on the Antec case/380W PSU, there is a 20 pin (!!) main power
connector, a 6 pin AUX connector and a 4 pin ATX12V connector.

HELP! These don't seem to match up. Any ideas? Do I need a different
PSU? Or is there an adaptor available..

Dave

"Dave" <davehowey@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've just purchased a load of bits, including an Antec Sonata case
> (lurvily!!) and an Asus A8V-E deluxe motherboard.
>
> However, it appears I have a problem.. well I hope not, but if anyone can
> help I'd be grateful.
>
> On the motherboard, there is a 24 pin 'EATXPWR' connector and a 4 pin
> ATX12V connector. It says that an ATX 12V specification 2.0 compliant PSU
> should be used (which I thought mine was..).
>
> However, on the Antec case/380W PSU, there is a 20 pin (!!) main power
> connector, a 6 pin AUX connector and a 4 pin ATX12V connector.
>
> HELP! These don't seem to match up. Any ideas? Do I need a different PSU?
> Or is there an adaptor available..

I just got an Asus A8N SLI-Deluxe... it also has the new EATX 24-pin plug
with the additional 4-pin connector..

I buckled down and got a 510W SLI P/S from PC Power and Cooling.. It has an
adaptor BACK to 20-pin, but I am pretty sure you can't hook up an old ATX
P/S to a 24-pin board.

Another excellent supply is the 480W NeoPower from Antec.. it has connectors
for both 24-pin and 20-pin boards.

Good Luck

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

> I just got an Asus A8N SLI-Deluxe... it also has the new EATX 24-pin plug
> with the additional 4-pin connector..
>
> I buckled down and got a 510W SLI P/S from PC Power and Cooling.. It has an
> adaptor BACK to 20-pin, but I am pretty sure you can't hook up an old ATX
> P/S to a 24-pin board.
>
> Another excellent supply is the 480W NeoPower from Antec.. it has connectors
> for both 24-pin and 20-pin boards.
>
> Good Luck

Actually, I've been doing some research and I think that as long as your
PCI express power requirements are modest (and mine are-- 380W is more
than enough for 2x80Gb HDDs, 1x FX330 PCI-E fgx card), you can plug the
20 pin connector into the 24 pin connector on the motherboard. I've
emailed Antec to double check, and I'm also just comparing connector
pin-outs, but I think it's ok.
See
http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=376129

Anyone else tried this?

Dave

20 pin pugs do fit into 24pin plugs. My new MB cam with a sticker over
the last 4 pins. It's says to remove the sticker if the power supply
has 24 pin plug.

cheers
Kevin

> Actually, I've been doing some research and I think that as long as your
> PCI express power requirements are modest (and mine are-- 380W is more
> than enough for 2x80Gb HDDs, 1x FX330 PCI-E fgx card), you can plug the
> 20 pin connector into the 24 pin connector on the motherboard. I've
> emailed Antec to double check, and I'm also just comparing connector
> pin-outs, but I think it's ok.
> See
> http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=376129
>
> Anyone else tried this?
>
> Dave

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Dave wrote:
> more info..
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20041223/atx12v-24pin-01.html
>
> "The reverse combination is also possible, as the 20-pin plugs fit into
> the big connector too. "
>
> Dave

Just plugged it all in.. and it works. PHEW!
CPU temp around 37degC, ambient inside case around 32degC. Everything
seems to be ok at present, now I just need to install some operating
systems!

Dave