Budget 64Bit AMD System around?

In the near future I plan on building a 64 bit amd system. I was
wondering if someone could describe in detail a Budget, get me in the
door, 64 bit barebones configuration [motherboard,cpu,ram, etc]

thanks to all

******************************
http://www.dubyareport.net/
http://www.frozenpsi.net/
******************************
15 answers Last reply
More about budget 64bit system around

    You would start with the 754 pin Athlon 64 2800 for the CPU... A cheap
    video card. Ati 9200 or Nvdidia 5200. MB for this can be found for
    under $100.. You just have to start shopping around and read up on each
    of your potential purchases and make a decision based on your needs
    and budget.

    On 2 Mar 2005 07:21:38 -0800, "theodat" <theodat@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >You would start with the 754 pin Athlon 64 2800 for the CPU... A cheap
    >video card. Ati 9200 or Nvdidia 5200. MB for this can be found for
    >under $100.. You just have to start shopping around and read up on each
    >of your potential purchases and make a decision based on your needs
    >and budget.

    939 pin or 754 pin, which one do you think in the end will become the
    'standard' end all be all like socket A did?

    just curious.
    thanks again.

    ******************************
    http://www.dubyareport.net/
    http://www.frozenpsi.net/
    ******************************

    dnc_tn@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On 2 Mar 2005 07:21:38 -0800, "theodat" <theodat@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >

    >>You would start with the 754 pin Athlon 64 2800 for the CPU... A cheap
    >>video card. Ati 9200 or Nvdidia 5200. MB for this can be found for
    >>under $100.. You just have to start shopping around and read up on each
    >>of your potential purchases and make a decision based on your needs
    >>and budget.
    >

    > 939 pin or 754 pin, which one do you think in the end will become the
    > 'standard' end all be all like socket A did?
    >
    > just curious.
    > thanks again.
    >

    > ******************************
    > http://www.dubyareport.net/
    > http://www.frozenpsi.net/
    > ******************************

    For Athlon 64, single Core CPU, socket 939 will be the "standard" for a
    few years.

    The Sempron socket 754 will be the dominant CPU on that platform.
    Socket A is being phased out and 754 pin Athlon 64s are also being
    phased out.

    Dual-core Athlon 64 CPUs will migrate to a socket 12xx sometime in 2006.
    There are supposed to be dual-core socket 939 CPUs out later this
    year. The reason to move up to a 12xx pin socket in 2006 is to
    accommodate separate memory controllers for each CPU in the core. In
    the 939 pin configuration the HT will be shared between the 2 CPUs.

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 06:56:16 -0500, "dnc_tn@yahoo.com" <DNC_TN@> wrote:

    >In the near future I plan on building a 64 bit amd system. I was
    >wondering if someone could describe in detail a Budget, get me in the
    >door, 64 bit barebones configuration [motherboard,cpu,ram, etc]
    >
    >thanks to all

    Budget Athlon 64 system $800-999

    Case and PSU
    Antec SLK3700-BQE
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-140&depa=0
    $79.99

    Extra Fan
    Panaflo L1A 120mm
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/directron/120l1a.html
    $14.99

    Motherboard
    MSI "K8N Neo2 Platinum" NVIDIA nForce3 ULTRA Chipset Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-130-468&depa=1
    $143.00

    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8GHz, 512KB L2 Cache 939-Pin 64-bit Processor - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-499&depa=0
    $149.00

    CPU Cooler
    Thermaltake SILENT BOOST For AMD Opteron and Athlon 64 (All Copper
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-106-036&depa=1
    $29.99

    RAM
    Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200 - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-440&depa=1
    $122.67

    DVD Burner
    NEC 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drive, Black w/ Software, Model ND-3520A
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-152-038&depa=1
    $62.99

    Floppy Drive
    Mitsumi Black 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=21-104-101&depa=1
    $8.50

    GPU
    PowerColor RADEON 9550 Video Card, 256MB DDR 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-131-243&depa=0
    $80.50

    OS
    Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 -OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=37-102-151&depa=0
    $88.95

    Total - $780.58

    Upgrade CPU
    AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64 3500+, 90nm, 2.2 GHz, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-494&depa=0
    + $120.00

    Total - $900.58

    Upgrade GPU
    POWERCOLOR ATI RADEON 9600XT Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-Bit
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-131-266&depa=0
    + 85.50

    Total - $986.08

    regards

    Dud
    --

    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati - When all else fails, play dead.

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 13:12:45 -0500, Duddits <Duddits@Dreamcatcher.com>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 06:56:16 -0500, "dnc_tn@yahoo.com" <DNC_TN@> wrote:
    >
    >>In the near future I plan on building a 64 bit amd system. I was
    >>wondering if someone could describe in detail a Budget, get me in the
    >>door, 64 bit barebones configuration [motherboard,cpu,ram, etc]
    >>
    >>thanks to all
    >
    >Budget Athlon 64 system $800-999
    Doh!
    Forgot to add a HD
    Seagate 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model ST380013AS, OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=22-148-019&depa=1
    $71.00

    Dud
    --

    dnc_tn@yahoo.com wrote:
    > In the near future I plan on building a 64 bit amd system. I was
    > wondering if someone could describe in detail a Budget, get me in the
    > door, 64 bit barebones configuration [motherboard,cpu,ram, etc]
    >
    > thanks to all
    >
    > ******************************
    > http://www.dubyareport.net/
    > http://www.frozenpsi.net/
    > ******************************

    how much do you want to spend?
    what do you want to use it for?

    you need to think about these questions before you decide what you're
    going to buy!!

    Dave

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:11:42 +0000, Dave <davehowey@hotmail.co.uk>
    wrote:

    >dnc_tn@yahoo.com wrote:
    >> In the near future I plan on building a 64 bit amd system. I was
    >> wondering if someone could describe in detail a Budget, get me in the
    >> door, 64 bit barebones configuration [motherboard,cpu,ram, etc]
    >>
    >> thanks to all
    >>
    >> ******************************
    >> http://www.dubyareport.net/
    >> http://www.frozenpsi.net/
    >> ******************************
    >

    >how much do you want to spend?

    Between $800-$999

    >what do you want to use it for?

    Moderate gaming[starcraft type games] to just normal stuff like word
    processing.

    ******************************
    http://www.dubyareport.net/
    http://www.frozenpsi.net/
    ******************************

    In article <q9ab215vc3u0h4mnsn2pk3ghc9efgcbmrc@4ax.com>, says...
    > In the near future I plan on building a 64 bit amd system. I was
    > wondering if someone could describe in detail a Budget, get me in the
    > door, 64 bit barebones configuration [motherboard,cpu,ram, etc]

    Bottom end about £350. Top end about £1700.

    IMO don't bother yet if you've got a high end Athlon XP. There's not
    much benefit until MS release Windows XP64 AND 64 bit versions of
    software start to come out.

    Give it at least 6 months. In 6 months time everything should have
    settled down, stable drivers will have been released and alot of 64 bit
    patches for 32 bit games and AMD will have revealed whether or not
    they're going dual core Socket 939. Prices will also have fallen by
    then, SATA2 should be more established too.

    --
    Conor

    -- George Patton
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    In article <nkpb211l0jq4pl5ee9gh5fbiucauv2jm9i@4ax.com>, says...

    > 939 pin or 754 pin, which one do you think in the end will become the
    > 'standard' end all be all like socket A did?

    939. 754 speeds are already stopped at 3500. IT news is on about dual
    cores on socket 939 later on.

    --
    Conor

    -- George Patton
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    754 stopped at 3700+

    "Conor" <conor@conorturton.com> wrote in message
    > In article <nkpb211l0jq4pl5ee9gh5fbiucauv2jm9i@4ax.com>, says...
    >
    > > 939 pin or 754 pin, which one do you think in the end will become the
    > > 'standard' end all be all like socket A did?
    > >
    > 939. 754 speeds are already stopped at 3500. IT news is on about dual
    > cores on socket 939 later on.
    >

    > --
    > Conor
    >
    > An imperfect plan executed violently is far superior to a perfect plan.
    > -- George Patton
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    dnc_tn@yahoo.com wrote:

    > 939 pin or 754 pin, which one do you think in the end will become the
    > 'standard' end all be all like socket A did?
    >
    > just curious.
    > thanks again.

    If you have to ask, apparently you are not well versed on the subject at
    all! The Sempron will become the dominant CPU on the socket 754
    platform. The old socket A is being phased out along with 754 pin
    Athlon 64s. The socket 939 with be the dominant platform for single CPU
    Athlon 64s. Dual core Athlon 64s will migrate to a 12xx pin socket
    sometime in 2006, which will give each internal CPU its own memory
    controller. The 939 Athlon 64s will share one memory controller.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    In article <1zrVd.25348$YA1.13581@fe06.lga>, doS says...
    > 754 stopped at 3700+

    I stand corrected. Its been a couple of months since I bothered looking
    at 754.

    --
    Conor

    -- George Patton
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Things are changing so fast now, I must be getting too old for it
    these days I guess ... But thanks to all who responded to my
    questions..

    On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 14:47:30 -0000, Conor <conor@conorturton.com>
    wrote:

    >I stand corrected. Its been a couple of months since I bothered looking
    >at 754.

    ******************************
    http://www.dubyareport.net/
    http://www.frozenpsi.net/
    ******************************
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    "Dee" <dee@home.net> wrote in message
    > dnc_tn@yahoo.com wrote:
    >> On 2 Mar 2005 07:21:38 -0800, "theodat" <theodat@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>You would start with the 754 pin Athlon 64 2800 for the CPU... A cheap
    >>>video card. Ati 9200 or Nvdidia 5200. MB for this can be found for
    >>>under $100.. You just have to start shopping around and read up on each
    >>>of your potential purchases and make a decision based on your needs
    >>>and budget.
    >>

    >> 939 pin or 754 pin, which one do you think in the end will become the
    >> 'standard' end all be all like socket A did?
    >>
    >> just curious.
    >> thanks again.
    >>

    >> ******************************
    >> http://www.dubyareport.net/
    >> http://www.frozenpsi.net/
    >> ******************************
    >
    > For Athlon 64, single Core CPU, socket 939 will be the "standard" for a
    > few years.
    >
    > The Sempron socket 754 will be the dominant CPU on that platform. Socket A
    > is being phased out and 754 pin Athlon 64s are also being phased out.
    >
    > Dual-core Athlon 64 CPUs will migrate to a socket 12xx sometime in 2006.
    > There are supposed to be dual-core socket 939 CPUs out later this year.
    > The reason to move up to a 12xx pin socket in 2006 is to accommodate
    > separate memory controllers for each CPU in the core. In the 939 pin
    > configuration the HT will be shared between the 2 CPUs.

    I thought Socket M2 - the 1207 pin one - was for DDR2, do you have a link
    for dual memory controllers?

    --
    Derek
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Derek Baker wrote:

    > I thought Socket M2 - the 1207 pin one - was for DDR2, do you have a link
    > for dual memory controllers?

    I did at the time I posted, but I didn't bookmark the reference. It was
    an article in one of the publications on-line.

Homebuilt AMD Systems