PSU: Antec SmartPower or TruePower?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I am thinking about returning my new fine-working Antec TruePower 430W
(model True430) to the store and getting an Antec SmartPower 450W
(model SL450). I can get the latter something like $40 cheaper on
sales from Directron, plus it has extra 20W which gives extra leeway
for expanding the system later.

I wonder why SmartPower are cheaper and are they cheap? I mean, it’s
still Antec? What would be your recommendations?

TruePower 430: http://www.antec-inc.com/specs/true430_spe.html
SmartPower 450: http://www.antec-inc.com/specs/sl450_spe.html

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-PSU-Antec-SmartPower-TruePower-ftopict49716.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=239843
13 answers Last reply
More about antec smartpower truepower
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    hitch wrote:
    > I am thinking about returning my new fine-working Antec TruePower
    430W
    > (model True430) to the store and getting an Antec SmartPower 450W
    > (model SL450). I can get the latter something like $40 cheaper on
    > sales from Directron, plus it has extra 20W which gives extra leeway
    > for expanding the system later.
    >
    > I wonder why SmartPower are cheaper and are they cheap? I mean,
    it's
    > still Antec? What would be your recommendations?
    >
    > TruePower 430: http://www.antec-inc.com/specs/true430_spe.html
    > SmartPower 450: http://www.antec-inc.com/specs/sl450_spe.html

    Personally I would stick with what you've got. 20W isn't a big
    difference anyway, but the 430W one does seem a little better to me.
    You can get more out of the 12V line on the 430W one, and I think the
    12V lines is where you usually want the most power/current. The
    tolerances are also considerably better on the 430W one. If you look
    at the transient response, it is 3% for the 430W one and 5% for the
    450W one. Also if you look at 'load reg.' you'll notice that the
    tolerances are lower on the 430W one.

    >From what I've heard all Antec PSU's seem to be good, but in this case
    the SmartPower doesn't seem as good as the TruePower. If you've used
    it I wouldn't have thought you could take it back anyway.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    petermcmillan...@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Personally I would stick with what you've got. 20W isn't a big
    > difference anyway, but the 430W one does seem a little better to me.
    > You can get more out of the 12V line on the 430W one, and I think the
    > 12V lines is where you usually want the most power/current. The
    > tolerances are also considerably better on the 430W one. If you look
    > at the transient response, it is 3% for the 430W one and 5% for the
    > 450W one. Also if you look at 'load reg.' you'll notice that the
    > tolerances are lower on the 430W one.
    >
    > >From what I've heard all Antec PSU's seem to be good, but in this
    case
    > the SmartPower doesn't seem as good as the TruePower. If you've used
    > it I wouldn't have thought you could take it back anyway.

    Sorry, the 430W should also last longer. Look at the MTBF. The 430W
    should last 80,000hrs, where as the 450W one will only last around
    50,000 hrs (in theory), which is a big difference.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On 2 Mar 2005 15:08:27 -0500, hitch
    <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:

    >I am thinking about returning my new fine-working Antec TruePower 430W
    >(model True430) to the store and getting an Antec SmartPower 450W
    >(model SL450). I can get the latter something like $40 cheaper on
    >sales from Directron, plus it has extra 20W which gives extra leeway
    >for expanding the system later.
    >
    >I wonder why SmartPower are cheaper and are they cheap? I mean, it’s
    >still Antec? What would be your recommendations?
    >
    >TruePower 430: http://www.antec-inc.com/specs/true430_spe.html
    >SmartPower 450: http://www.antec-inc.com/specs/sl450_spe.html

    Apart from what everyone else has said, Truepowers are designed to be
    quieter than the Smartpowers. I have a Smartpower in one of my PC's
    and it's a bit noisy IMO. That's why I put in a Zalman PSU in my main
    gaming PC. Keep the Truepower.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    The True Power sunits are made with heavier duty, more conservatively rated
    components. I would HIGHLY recommend keeping your True Power model.

    --
    DaveW

    "hitch" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
    >I am thinking about returning my new fine-working Antec TruePower 430W
    > (model True430) to the store and getting an Antec SmartPower 450W
    > (model SL450). I can get the latter something like $40 cheaper on
    > sales from Directron, plus it has extra 20W which gives extra leeway
    > for expanding the system later.
    >
    > I wonder why SmartPower are cheaper and are they cheap? I mean, it's
    > still Antec? What would be your recommendations?
    >
    > TruePower 430: http://www.antec-inc.com/specs/true430_spe.html
    > SmartPower 450: http://www.antec-inc.com/specs/sl450_spe.html

    > request
    > Topic URL:
    > http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-PSU-Antec-SmartPower-TruePower-ftopict49716.html
    > http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=239843
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Thank you, thank you everyone.
    I guess I'd keep it as it is and save myself another hassle.
    No, I don't always return working things if I find something cheaper -
    it's just that I went to the store to buy SmartPower 450 as advertised
    on the website, and only found TruePower 430 available in stock.
    Anyway, all this hassle wouldn't have started if I hadn't bought a
    Codegen which turned out to be featherweight and glitchy in the first
    place.
    Thanks everyone for your input.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    hitch wrote:
    > I am thinking about returning my new fine-working Antec TruePower
    430W
    > (model True430) to the store and getting an Antec SmartPower 450W
    > (model SL450). I can get the latter something like $40 cheaper on
    > sales from Directron, plus it has extra 20W which gives extra leeway
    > for expanding the system later.
    >
    > I wonder why SmartPower are cheaper and are they cheap? I mean,
    > it's still Antec? What would be your recommendations?

    Both are made by the same company, Channel Well Technology, and you may
    be able to see their "CWT" marking on some of the internal parts. CWT
    sells the TruePowers under their own brand as their "A" series (model
    numbers CWT-ppp xxx, where ppp = power, xxx = A, AS, AD, ASP, or ADP)
    and the SmartPowers as their "B" series (xxx = B, BS, BD, BSP, or BDP).
    A few years ago, Tom's Hardware found that a 380W TruePower was able
    to put out 26% more than its rated power, while one of the worst
    Channel Wells (ppp = ATX) managed 2% more than its rated power (with
    some other companies, even the best models can't put out their rated
    power). I once tested my 300W SmartPower and found that it could
    exceed its power rating by 26%, but my test lasted only ten minutes
    because my load resistance would overheat after that.

    TruePowers have a separate voltage regulator for each of their positive
    voltage rails while SmartPowers have the +5V and +12V share a single
    regulator. But apparently the latter isn't as much a drawback in real
    life (as opposed to with benchmarks and bragging rights), and the
    output filter coil shared by the +5V and +12V rails actually helps
    those voltages stay independent. In other respects, the SmartPowers,
    especially the newer beefed-up ones with higher +12V amp ratings, seem
    to be built almost as well as the TruePowers.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On 2 Mar 2005 15:08:27 -0500, hitch
    <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:

    >I am thinking about returning my new fine-working Antec TruePower 430W
    >(model True430) to the store and getting an Antec SmartPower 450W
    >(model SL450).

    Do you always return products that work fine so you can risk
    trying something else? Granted it's probably not much risk
    but these are the kinds of decisions that should generally
    be made before purchase, not after.

    >I can get the latter something like $40 cheaper on
    >sales from Directron, plus it has extra 20W which gives extra leeway
    >for expanding the system later.

    Nope, you can't directly compare the wattage between the
    two. In all likelyhood the 430W has a higher true wattage
    capability. The SL is the budgetized version for inclusion
    in their value-line cases.

    >I wonder why SmartPower are cheaper and are they cheap? I mean, it’s
    >still Antec? What would be your recommendations?

    Well, it's Antec and it's not Antec. They dont' make power
    supplies, simply relabel them. They spec two quality grades
    with the SL being the lower of the two. The SL450 is a
    downgrade from the Truepower 430W. I feel the Truepower
    430W is overpriced for what it is though, a Sparkle 530W is
    better and often less expensive too, but either should be
    suitable for a typical system.

    Will the cost be that much different though?
    The store ought to charge you a hefty restocking fee for
    returning a working product towards a refund... else only
    offer exchange for same.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On 2 Mar 2005 15:08:27 -0500, hitch
    <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:

    >(model SL450). I can get the latter something like $40 cheaper on
    >sales from Directron,

    <snip>

    Methink you overpayed. Directron has it for $57, making
    your Truepower roughly $97? It is $67 here:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?product_uid=12153
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    petermcmillan_uk@yahoo.com wrote:

    > the 430W should also last longer. Look at the MTBF. The 430W
    > should last 80,000hrs, where as the 450W one will only last
    > around 50,000 hrs (in theory), which is a big difference.

    Without resorting to any explanations that sound like they're from the
    public relations department, why is there a difference?

    Those MTBFs may have been calculated rather than based on actual
    product testing, and MTBFs aren't the best indicators of average
    lifespans because they exclude early failures and failures due to
    normal wearout. This is why hard disk drives made in the past 20 years
    are still rated for 5 year lifespans (under 45,000 hours) despite their
    MTBFs increasing from <100,000 to >2,000,000 hours.

    A better indicator of power supply quality tends to be the temperature
    used for the power rating. Most supplies, including Antecs, are rated
    at at 25C instead of 40-50C, and computer cases are typically at 30-40C.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On 2 Mar 2005 15:08:27 -0500, hitch
    <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> put finger to keyboard and
    composed:

    >I am thinking about returning my new fine-working Antec TruePower 430W
    >(model True430) to the store and getting an Antec SmartPower 450W
    >(model SL450). I can get the latter something like $40 cheaper on
    >sales from Directron, plus it has extra 20W which gives extra leeway
    >for expanding the system later.
    >
    >I wonder why SmartPower are cheaper and are they cheap? I mean, it’s
    >still Antec? What would be your recommendations?
    >
    >TruePower 430: http://www.antec-inc.com/specs/true430_spe.html
    >SmartPower 450: http://www.antec-inc.com/specs/sl450_spe.html

    TruePower has tighter specs, eg +/-3% regulation compared with +/-5%.
    This is due to its "dedicated output circuitry for each voltage
    output, overcom[ing] the limitations of combined output of traditional
    design." I believe this means that each output is independently
    regulated, unlike typical PSUs where only the main rail(s) are
    regulated while the others rely on turns ratio for tracking.

    See http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=20430

    - Franc Zabkar
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On 3 Mar 2005 02:37:59 -0800, do_not_spam_me@my-deja.com
    wrote:

    >petermcmillan_uk@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    >> the 430W should also last longer. Look at the MTBF. The 430W
    >> should last 80,000hrs, where as the 450W one will only last
    >> around 50,000 hrs (in theory), which is a big difference.
    >
    >Without resorting to any explanations that sound like they're from the
    >public relations department, why is there a difference?

    One difference may be that even the manufacturer itself
    doesn't believe their (one) product will last as long as
    another. If the manufacturer doesn't know their own product
    then who does?
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    hitch wrote:

    > I am thinking about returning my new fine-working Antec TruePower 430W
    > (model True430) to the store and getting an Antec SmartPower 450W
    > (model SL450). I can get the latter something like $40 cheaper on
    > sales from Directron, plus it has extra 20W which gives extra leeway
    > for expanding the system later.

    Not necessarily. You need to check the amp output per voltage and see what
    your needs are on a particular line. For instance, a TruePower 430 puts out
    26 amps on the +12V line vs. only 20 amps on the same line for the
    SmartPower 450. Also, the TruePower 430 returns to within 3% of the correct
    voltage within 1 ms for 20% load average whereas the SmartPower 450 returns
    to within 5% in the same time period under the same load. The maximum rated
    watts only tells part of the story.

    > I wonder why SmartPower are cheaper and are they cheap? I mean, it’s
    > still Antec? What would be your recommendations?

    Because they use cheaper parts and have a wider tolerance for voltage
    fluctuations?

    > TruePower 430: http://www.antec-inc.com/specs/true430_spe.html
    > SmartPower 450: http://www.antec-inc.com/specs/sl450_spe.html

    You obviously didn't read those specs close enough.

    --

    Registered Linux user #378193
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    I sure did read the specs but what's the use of them if I don't
    actually understand what these specs translate into in real life? :-)

Homebuilt Hardware Antec Smartpower Truepower Systems