Good 250Gb drive recommendation please

Need to buy a 250Gb drive. Recommendations will be appreciated.

hitch

"sdr" wrote:
> Need to buy a 250Gb drive. Recommendations will be
> appreciated.

Western Digital
Samsung
Hitachi
Maxtor
Seagate

they are all good, there are no such things as generic harddrives on
the market

buy any one of these, 7200RPM, 8Mb cache, Serial ATA (SATA)

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-Good-250Gb-drive-recommendation-ftopict49723.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=239917

Western Digital is the most reliable manufacturer.

--
DaveW

kony wrote:
>On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 06:57:40 GMT, sdr <sdr@mail.com> wrote:

>>Are they quite or do they differ by manufacturers?

>All modern (fluid-bearing) drives are relatively quiet
>compared to those of yesteryear having the ball-bearings.
>Noise is no longer as much of a concern as price,
>performance, capacity, warranty, etc, etc.

This is only true if you don't care about noise level.
If you actually care about how noisy a drive is, go
to the forums at http://www.silentpcreview.com/ and
ask about a specific model before buying it.

Generally, Samsung Spinpoint series drives are the
most reliably quiet. Seagates were a respectable
second to Samsungs at least until recently, but I'm
not sure now.

Isaac Kuo

kony wrote:
>On 3 Mar 2005 06:43:20 -0800, "IsaacKuo"
><mechdan@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>kony wrote:

>>>All modern (fluid-bearing) drives are relatively quiet
>>>compared to those of yesteryear having the ball-bearings.
>>>Noise is no longer as much of a concern as price,
>>>performance, capacity, warranty, etc, etc.

>>This is only true if you don't care about noise level.

>Nope, reread what I wrote.

I read it the first time. I stand by my response.
Admittedly, most people don't care about noise level,
but the silentpcreview people do (among others).

>Maxtor are quiet too.

Quieter than they used to be, perhaps, but that's
faint praise. It's also something of a moot point
considering that Maxtors are too failure-prone for
experienced builders to seriously consider using.

>All of them are, and if you find one
>has a loud seek you can use the accoustic management
>software on all but one make (I forget which, maybe Seagate
>isn't licensed to use it anymore?).

Accoustic management software is simply no substitute
for inherently quieter mechanics and mechanism.

Of course, most people have enough loud computer
components that hard drive noise is not very
noticeable or not noticeable at all in practical
terms. But in this case the computer owner didn't
care about noise level to begin with.

Your statement that all modern fluid bearing hard
drives are quiet is like saying all modern CPUs
are fast. True enough for most people--people
who don't care about speed--but hardly the whole
story for people who DO care about speed.

Isaac Kuo

hitch

"sdr" wrote:
> On 2 Mar 2005 18:36:47 -0500, hitch
> <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:
>
> >they are all good, there are no such things as generic
> harddrives on
> >the market
> >
> >buy any one of these, 7200RPM, 8Mb cache, Serial ATA (SATA)
>
> Are they quite or do they differ by manufacturers?

Do you mean - are they quiet? That I don’t know, it’s never been an
issue for me. I read different people saying different opinions, so as
I understand it, it just depends on a particular item.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-Good-250Gb-drive-recommendation-ftopict49723.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=240092

wrote:

>kony wrote:
>>On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 06:57:40 GMT, sdr <sdr@mail.com> wrote:
>
>>>Are they quite or do they differ by manufacturers?
>
>>All modern (fluid-bearing) drives are relatively quiet
>>compared to those of yesteryear having the ball-bearings.
>>Noise is no longer as much of a concern as price,
>>performance, capacity, warranty, etc, etc.
>
>This is only true if you don't care about noise level.

Nope, reread what I wrote.

>If you actually care about how noisy a drive is, go
>to the forums at http://www.silentpcreview.com/ and
>ask about a specific model before buying it.
>
>Generally, Samsung Spinpoint series drives are the
>most reliably quiet. Seagates were a respectable
>second to Samsungs at least until recently, but I'm
>not sure now.
>
>Isaac Kuo

Maxtor are quiet too. All of them are, and if you find one
has a loud seek you can use the accoustic management
software on all but one make (I forget which, maybe Seagate
isn't licensed to use it anymore?).

> Isaac Kuo
> Of course, most people have enough loud computer
> components that hard drive noise is not very
> noticeable or not noticeable at all in practical
> terms. >

....After that pissin contest, you wind up agreeing.

The average system has 3+ fans to cool it, who can hear a hard drive?

"Baad Boy" <Boybaad@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> Isaac Kuo
>> Of course, most people have enough loud computer
>> components that hard drive noise is not very
>> noticeable or not noticeable at all in practical
>> terms. >
>
> ...After that pissin contest, you wind up agreeing.
>
> The average system has 3+ fans to cool it, who can hear a hard drive?

I can. Though they are old ball-bearing models in a quiet machine.

TRENDING THREADS