Hard Drive problem: won't boot or work as a Slave

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 3, 2005 2:50:26 AM

Have a Western Digital that stopped booting. It hangs at the Windows
XP spash screen, with the scroll bar running beneath it. When trying
to boot to safe mode, it hangs as it's loading .sys files from the
drivers folder (last one listed is amdagp.sys). I can see it in the
bios, and I've run a WD diagnostic tool and another one on it and they
say it's fine. I'm guessing the MBR might need fixing.

But the real problem is I put it in another system as a slave and it
keeps that one from booting up, too. Same problem with getting to safe
mode and a prompt, except that it hangs at agpcpq.sys.

Any thoughts, on at least being able to access it as a slave from a
prompt so I could try to repair it, or at least save the data? TIA!
March 3, 2005 2:50:27 AM

jack wrote:
> Have a Western Digital that stopped booting. It hangs at the Windows
> XP spash screen, with the scroll bar running beneath it. When trying
> to boot to safe mode, it hangs as it's loading .sys files from the
> drivers folder (last one listed is amdagp.sys). I can see it in the
> bios, and I've run a WD diagnostic tool and another one on it and they
> say it's fine. I'm guessing the MBR might need fixing.
>
> But the real problem is I put it in another system as a slave and it
> keeps that one from booting up, too. Same problem with getting to safe
> mode and a prompt, except that it hangs at agpcpq.sys.
>
> Any thoughts, on at least being able to access it as a slave from a
> prompt so I could try to repair it, or at least save the data? TIA!

If the OS is Win95, Win98(SE), WinME, you can try booting with a floppy
and doing "fdisk /mbr" at the A: prompt. If that doesn't solve your
problem, then read the next 2 paragraphs.

If you have data on that drive that you need to recover, then install a
second drive, as the master Boot drive, and see if you can read the
current drive. If you can read it, backup the critical data and then
reformat the drive.

If you have no data that is critical to recover on this drive, then
reformat the drive and re-install you operating system.
March 3, 2005 4:57:18 AM

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 18:58:40 -0500, Dee <dee@home.net> wrote:

>jack wrote:
>> Have a Western Digital that stopped booting. It hangs at the Windows
>> XP spash screen, with the scroll bar running beneath it. When trying
>> to boot to safe mode, it hangs as it's loading .sys files from the
>> drivers folder (last one listed is amdagp.sys). I can see it in the
>> bios, and I've run a WD diagnostic tool and another one on it and they
>> say it's fine. I'm guessing the MBR might need fixing.
>>
>> But the real problem is I put it in another system as a slave and it
>> keeps that one from booting up, too. Same problem with getting to safe
>> mode and a prompt, except that it hangs at agpcpq.sys.
>>
>> Any thoughts, on at least being able to access it as a slave from a
>> prompt so I could try to repair it, or at least save the data? TIA!
>
>If the OS is Win95, Win98(SE), WinME, you can try booting with a floppy
>and doing "fdisk /mbr" at the A: prompt. If that doesn't solve your
>problem, then read the next 2 paragraphs.
>
>If you have data on that drive that you need to recover, then install a
>second drive, as the master Boot drive, and see if you can read the
>current drive. If you can read it, backup the critical data and then
>reformat the drive.
>
>If you have no data that is critical to recover on this drive, then
>reformat the drive and re-install you operating system.

Sorry that my initial message got convoluted and confusing. I'm
running Win XP (Pro on the problem drive, Home on the second system).
I tried and am unable to Slave the problem one to the second system,
or I imagine, as you suggest, to put a new master one in the problem
system. The problem drive causes the second system to not boot, and
I'm sure would do the same if I put a Master into the problem system
and Slaved the problem HD there. I just can't get a machine to boot,
even to a (dos) prompt, when this HD is in the system, even Slaved.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 3, 2005 8:37:23 AM

"jack" <a@b.com> wrote in message

> Sorry that my initial message got convoluted and confusing. I'm
> running Win XP (Pro on the problem drive, Home on the second system).
> I tried and am unable to Slave the problem one to the second system,
> or I imagine, as you suggest, to put a new master one in the problem
> system. The problem drive causes the second system to not boot, and
> I'm sure would do the same if I put a Master into the problem system
> and Slaved the problem HD there. I just can't get a machine to boot,
> even to a (dos) prompt, when this HD is in the system, even Slaved.

You might try getting an external USB Drive Enclosure, they run about 50 or
60 bucks.. good thing to have around anyway for older drives that you want
to use as quick swap data backups.. with the drive in a USB Box you can just
plug it in to a USB port, and if it is working at all it will pop up without
having to reboot your system.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 3, 2005 8:55:24 AM

For me it look like that is mish mash with jumpers (master - slave) on HD.
Boba Vancouver

"Morituri-|-Max" <newage@sendarico.net> wrote in message

> "jack" <a@b.com> wrote in message
>
>> Sorry that my initial message got convoluted and confusing. I'm
>> running Win XP (Pro on the problem drive, Home on the second system).
>> I tried and am unable to Slave the problem one to the second system,
>> or I imagine, as you suggest, to put a new master one in the problem
>> system. The problem drive causes the second system to not boot, and
>> I'm sure would do the same if I put a Master into the problem system
>> and Slaved the problem HD there. I just can't get a machine to boot,
>> even to a (dos) prompt, when this HD is in the system, even Slaved.
>
> You might try getting an external USB Drive Enclosure, they run about 50
> or 60 bucks.. good thing to have around anyway for older drives that you
> want to use as quick swap data backups.. with the drive in a USB Box you
> can just plug it in to a USB port, and if it is working at all it will pop
> up without having to reboot your system.

March 3, 2005 10:02:47 PM

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 05:37:23 GMT, "Morituri-|-Max"
<newage@sendarico.net> wrote:

>"jack" <a@b.com> wrote in message
>
>> Sorry that my initial message got convoluted and confusing. I'm
>> running Win XP (Pro on the problem drive, Home on the second system).
>> I tried and am unable to Slave the problem one to the second system,
>> or I imagine, as you suggest, to put a new master one in the problem
>> system. The problem drive causes the second system to not boot, and
>> I'm sure would do the same if I put a Master into the problem system
>> and Slaved the problem HD there. I just can't get a machine to boot,
>> even to a (dos) prompt, when this HD is in the system, even Slaved.
>
>You might try getting an external USB Drive Enclosure, they run about 50 or
>60 bucks.. good thing to have around anyway for older drives that you want
>to use as quick swap data backups.. with the drive in a USB Box you can just
>plug it in to a USB port, and if it is working at all it will pop up without
>having to reboot your system.

Thanks, I'll try that. I had tried "hot swapping" on the channel after
it booted and, not surprisingly I guess, it just locked up. Probably
lucky it didn't do worse, but I was desperate! I wasn't aware of
USB-based enclosures. Thanks again.
March 3, 2005 10:03:17 PM

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 05:55:24 GMT, "Boba & Ilinka"
<dojcin2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

>For me it look like that is mish mash with jumpers (master - slave) on HD.
>Boba Vancouver

If you mean that I don't have it jumpered right, no, that's not it.
Thanks anyway.

>"Morituri-|-Max" <newage@sendarico.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "jack" <a@b.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Sorry that my initial message got convoluted and confusing. I'm
>>> running Win XP (Pro on the problem drive, Home on the second system).
>>> I tried and am unable to Slave the problem one to the second system,
>>> or I imagine, as you suggest, to put a new master one in the problem
>>> system. The problem drive causes the second system to not boot, and
>>> I'm sure would do the same if I put a Master into the problem system
>>> and Slaved the problem HD there. I just can't get a machine to boot,
>>> even to a (dos) prompt, when this HD is in the system, even Slaved.
>>
>> You might try getting an external USB Drive Enclosure, they run about 50
>> or 60 bucks.. good thing to have around anyway for older drives that you
>> want to use as quick swap data backups.. with the drive in a USB Box you
>> can just plug it in to a USB port, and if it is working at all it will pop
>> up without having to reboot your system.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 4, 2005 5:24:07 PM

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 19:02:47 GMT, jack <a@b.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 05:37:23 GMT, "Morituri-|-Max"
><newage@sendarico.net> wrote:
>

>>"jack" <a@b.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Sorry that my initial message got convoluted and confusing. I'm
>>> running Win XP (Pro on the problem drive, Home on the second system).
>>> I tried and am unable to Slave the problem one to the second system,
>>> or I imagine, as you suggest, to put a new master one in the problem
>>> system. The problem drive causes the second system to not boot, and
>>> I'm sure would do the same if I put a Master into the problem system
>>> and Slaved the problem HD there. I just can't get a machine to boot,
>>> even to a (dos) prompt, when this HD is in the system, even Slaved.
>>
>>You might try getting an external USB Drive Enclosure, they run about 50 or
>>60 bucks.. good thing to have around anyway for older drives that you want
>>to use as quick swap data backups.. with the drive in a USB Box you can just
>>plug it in to a USB port, and if it is working at all it will pop up without
>>having to reboot your system.
>>

>Thanks, I'll try that. I had tried "hot swapping" on the channel after
>it booted and, not surprisingly I guess, it just locked up. Probably
>lucky it didn't do worse, but I was desperate! I wasn't aware of
>USB-based enclosures. Thanks again.
You do realise that the jumper for Western Digital drives are
different if you have master only against having a slave as well.

3 seperate settings - Master only - Master with Slave - Slave

DJT
March 4, 2005 5:24:08 PM

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 14:24:07 +1100, D.T <dtope@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 19:02:47 GMT, jack <a@b.com> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 05:37:23 GMT, "Morituri-|-Max"
>><newage@sendarico.net> wrote:
>>

>>>"jack" <a@b.com> wrote in message

>>>You might try getting an external USB Drive Enclosure, they run about 50 or
>>>60 bucks.. good thing to have around anyway for older drives that you want
>>>to use as quick swap data backups.. with the drive in a USB Box you can just
>>>plug it in to a USB port, and if it is working at all it will pop up without
>>>having to reboot your system.
>>>

>>Thanks, I'll try that. I had tried "hot swapping" on the channel after
>>it booted and, not surprisingly I guess, it just locked up. Probably
>>lucky it didn't do worse, but I was desperate! I wasn't aware of
>>USB-based enclosures. Thanks again.
> You do realise that the jumper for Western Digital drives are
>different if you have master only against having a slave as well.
>
>3 seperate settings - Master only - Master with Slave - Slave
>
>DJT
The WD is the slave on the Primary channel with the Master boot drive
(which isn't WD), where I'm unable to boot it into the second system.
So the Slave is the only choice. I'll make note of your point though
when putting it back into the original system, where it was the Master
of a Master-Slave combo. Thanks.
!