Lian Li Case: Replacing fan - little plastic connectors

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 3, 2005 2:29:20 PM

I was looking in my lian li case last night, thinking about replacing
the rear exhaust fan which has become temperamentally noisy.

The fan is held in place, and it's grille is held in place, by these
little black plastic rivets. When trying to remove them, I found no
amount of force (with pliers) would remove the plastic "plug" that holds
them in place, and I ended up fouling one so much that I had to cut it
out with wire cutters and replace it with an ill-fitting screw and a
matchstick!

Is there a trick to these things, or do you just have to savage them
with sharp tools??!

You can see the rivets I am talking about in this image:

http://scasp.webnow.biz/upload/a0000010/en_US/prd_369.j...

There is one rivet holding the fan grille in the top left, and a second
holding it at the bottom right corner.

--
Toby.
FT: 250 DK Bongo Stars

I think those things are pretty much a one time rivet. You can buy
replacements though. Here is one place:
http://www.genitechcomputers.com/products/description/A...
"Toby" <google@asktoby.com> wrote in message
>I was looking in my lian li case last night, thinking about replacing
> the rear exhaust fan which has become temperamentally noisy.
>
> The fan is held in place, and it's grille is held in place, by these
> little black plastic rivets. When trying to remove them, I found no
> amount of force (with pliers) would remove the plastic "plug" that holds
> them in place, and I ended up fouling one so much that I had to cut it
> out with wire cutters and replace it with an ill-fitting screw and a
> matchstick!
>
> Is there a trick to these things, or do you just have to savage them
> with sharp tools??!
>
> You can see the rivets I am talking about in this image:
>
> http://scasp.webnow.biz/upload/a0000010/en_US/prd_369.j...
>
> There is one rivet holding the fan grille in the top left, and a second
> holding it at the bottom right corner.
>

> --
> Toby.
> FT: 250 DK Bongo Stars
> FT: 500 GBA SP Stars
> ItShMe is a pretty cool dude.
March 3, 2005 3:19:26 PM

"Toby" <google@asktoby.com> wrote in message
>I was looking in my lian li case last night, thinking about
>replacing
> the rear exhaust fan which has become temperamentally noisy.
>
> The fan is held in place, and it's grille is held in place, by
> these
> little black plastic rivets. When trying to remove them, I found
> no
> amount of force (with pliers) would remove the plastic "plug"
> that holds
> them in place, and I ended up fouling one so much that I had to
> cut it
> out with wire cutters and replace it with an ill-fitting screw
> and a
> matchstick!
>
> Is there a trick to these things, or do you just have to savage
> them
> with sharp tools??!
>
> You can see the rivets I am talking about in this image:
>
> http://scasp.webnow.biz/upload/a0000010/en_US/prd_369.j...
>
> There is one rivet holding the fan grille in the top left, and a
> second
> holding it at the bottom right corner.

Push the pin out from the back with a very small screwdriver etc.,
rather than trying to pull the pin out from the front.

--
Ian
Related resources

On 2005-03-03, Apollo <ian_dunbar6@hot> wrote:

> "Toby" <google@asktoby.com> wrote in message
>>I was looking in my lian li case last night, thinking about
>>replacing
>> the rear exhaust fan which has become temperamentally noisy.
>>
>> The fan is held in place, and it's grille is held in place, by
>> these
>> little black plastic rivets. When trying to remove them, I found
>> no
>> amount of force (with pliers) would remove the plastic "plug"
>> that holds
>> them in place, and I ended up fouling one so much that I had to
>> cut it
>> out with wire cutters and replace it with an ill-fitting screw
>> and a
>> matchstick!
>>
>> Is there a trick to these things, or do you just have to savage
>> them
>> with sharp tools??!
>>
>> You can see the rivets I am talking about in this image:
>>
>> http://scasp.webnow.biz/upload/a0000010/en_US/prd_369.j...
>>
>> There is one rivet holding the fan grille in the top left, and a
>> second
>> holding it at the bottom right corner.
>>

> Push the pin out from the back with a very small screwdriver etc.,
> rather than trying to pull the pin out from the front.

I don't think we can be talking about the same part. As far as I could
see, there was no way to push the pin out from the back. The rivet is
flattened over at one end, moulded that way,
and the other end has four legs. These legs are forced apart by a pin,
holding the rivet in place.

--
Toby.
FT: 250 DK Bongo Stars

> I don't think we can be talking about the same part. As far as I could
> see, there was no way to push the pin out from the back. The rivet is
> flattened over at one end, moulded that way,
> and the other end has four legs. These legs are forced apart by a pin,
> holding the rivet in place.

I had a simlilar experience with an Antec case. The fan came with
silicon things that pull through and then get cut off. The problem is,
if you remove the fan they can't be used again. What I ended up doing
is using regular case screws to hold the fan in place. But because the
silicon thing was meant to keep the fan running quietly, I found silicon
washers to use on the screws to prevent vibration. It worked out fine.
March 3, 2005 3:44:25 PM

On 2005-03-03, RBM <rmottola1@optonline.net> wrote:
> I think those things are pretty much a one time rivet. You can buy
> replacements though. Here is one place:
> http://www.genitechcomputers.com/products/description/A...

That's the buggers! No wonder I couldn't pull the pin out of the rivet -
it's attached to the other end!

--
Toby.
FT: 250 DK Bongo Stars

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 12:33:53 +0000, Toby <google@asktoby.com>
wrote:

>> Push the pin out from the back with a very small screwdriver etc.,
>> rather than trying to pull the pin out from the front.
>>

>I don't think we can be talking about the same part. As far as I could
>see, there was no way to push the pin out from the back. The rivet is
>flattened over at one end, moulded that way,
> and the other end has four legs. These legs are forced apart by a pin,
>holding the rivet in place.

You have two options with that type, which is hard to
identify from the picture but is usually something similar
to this:
http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/2407.gif

1) Take a tool, like a screwdriver if you have a straight
access, or a curved tool if not, and push out that center
"pin" from the back. After it's out, the rest of the rivet
should pop out much easier, or in worst case you might need
take needle-nose pliers (or curved forceps are easier- very
handy tool they are) and slightly bend in the "four legs".

2) Take a thin knife blade, or even bettter two blades, and
pry up from the front, "flattened over at one end" side by
inserting the knife blade(s) inbetween the center pin and
the rivet sleeve, NOT under the rivet sleeve between the
sleeve and the hold it's inserted into.

Those rivets are meant to be a quick assembly method but
"usually" are same size as a standard fan screw. If you had
to use a match stick to keep another screw in, I suspect
that you weren't using a standard fan screw. They're pretty
easy to come by, several shops online have 'em or take one
out of an old power supply's fan or ???
March 3, 2005 5:37:45 PM

On 2005-03-03, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 12:33:53 +0000, Toby <google@asktoby.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> Push the pin out from the back with a very small screwdriver etc.,
>>> rather than trying to pull the pin out from the front.
>>>

>>I don't think we can be talking about the same part. As far as I could
>>see, there was no way to push the pin out from the back. The rivet is
>>flattened over at one end, moulded that way,
>> and the other end has four legs. These legs are forced apart by a pin,
>>holding the rivet in place.
>
> You have two options with that type, which is hard to
> identify from the picture but is usually something similar
> to this:
> http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/2407.gif

That's the one. All good info, thanks.

--