Exchange Worthy?

I recently received an Intel 865PERL motherboard, shipped from an online
vendor. When I opened the motherboard box I discovered that it was packed
upside down - the northbridge heatsink was supporting all of the weight
during shipping (there were heatsink fin indentations in the bottom of the
box). Nothing is loose on the board, but I haven't installed it yet to test
it. Then again, considering how sophisticated motherboards are, I'm
wondering how long it could take to see symptoms of a problem anyway. Should
I exchange it or is it no big deal? Has anyone else ever received a mobo
packed like this? TIA.

Suddenly, without warning, DasherDown exclaimed (3/4/2005 3:10 AM):
> I recently received an Intel 865PERL motherboard, shipped from an online
> vendor. When I opened the motherboard box I discovered that it was packed
> upside down - the northbridge heatsink was supporting all of the weight
> during shipping (there were heatsink fin indentations in the bottom of the
> box). Nothing is loose on the board, but I haven't installed it yet to test
> it. Then again, considering how sophisticated motherboards are, I'm
> wondering how long it could take to see symptoms of a problem anyway. Should
> I exchange it or is it no big deal? Has anyone else ever received a mobo
> packed like this? TIA.

My ASUS boards, at least, are tougher than they look. I shipped a
system through APO, international, a few years back (I think the system
had an AMD Athlon Thunderbird), only to find that the CPU heatsink had
COME LOOSE during shipment, and had been banging around on the inside of
the case, hanging from the motherboard connection. The system had taken
a hit hard enough to break every single one of the nylon case screws I
used at the time (moral: never use nylon screws).

The video card probably took the brunt of the damage. Considering the
state of the case and the weight of the heatsink, I was utterly amazed
when the system started up and ran flawlessly. I ran that setup for
nearly another year before upgrading.

So, I'd go ahead and install the mobo, and do a thorough burning-in, and
just keep an eye on it for odd behaviors.

jmc

"jmc" <NOnewsgroupsSPAM@NOjodiBODY.HOMEus> wrote in message

> I shipped a system through APO, international, a few years back ...only
> to find that the CPU heatsink had COME LOOSE during shipment, and had been
> banging around on the inside of the case, hanging from the motherboard
> connection. ... The video card probably took the brunt of the damage.

Any cracks in the video card?

> So, I'd go ahead and install the mobo, and do a thorough burning-in, and
> just keep an eye on it for odd behaviors.

Any burn-in software recommendations? I'll be using WinXP Pro.

Thanks for your reply.

Suddenly, without warning, DasherDown exclaimed (3/5/2005 4:47 PM):
> "jmc" <NOnewsgroupsSPAM@NOjodiBODY.HOMEus> wrote in message
>
>> I shipped a system through APO, international, a few years back ...only
>>to find that the CPU heatsink had COME LOOSE during shipment, and had been
>>banging around on the inside of the case, hanging from the motherboard
>>connection. ... The video card probably took the brunt of the damage.
>

> Any cracks in the video card?

Nope. No visible damage anywhere (well, not inside. The case itself
was a whole 'nother story). The card *was* damaged, though, but the
symptom was weird. Worked perfectly, except when the system
blue-screened. Then it would go into a horizontal roll (like an old
TV), so I'd not be able to read the BSOD. Reboot, and all was well
until the next BSOD. Played games and everything... It was a Matrox
card, this was probably 2001?

>>So, I'd go ahead and install the mobo, and do a thorough burning-in, and
>>just keep an eye on it for odd behaviors.
>>

> Any burn-in software recommendations? I'll be using WinXP Pro.

Unfortunately, no. It's been so long, I don't remember the name of the
software I used last. However, I see SiSoft Sandra does have a burn-in
wizard, though I've never used it.

> Thanks for your reply.

no worries. I'm still amazed that system worked...