Restart and Shutdown

G

There is something that I can't solve when rebooting or shutting down. At the login screen the Service Control Manager,says: At least one service or driver failed during system startup. Use Event Viewer to examine the event log for details.

Then when I try to restart or shut down the OleMainThreadWndName comes up and says: This Windows application cannot respond to the End Task Request. It may be busy, waiting for a response from you, or it may have stopped executing.
0 Press Cancel to cancel and return to Windows NT
0 Press End Task to close this application immediately.
You will lose anu unsaved information in this application
0 Press wait to give the application 20 seconds to finish what it is doing and then try to close the application again.

Everything I try doesn't work. I have looked at the Event Viewer and it is Chinese to me because I'm so used to Win98. Even Win2000 is not as much of a headache, at least I can understand it. With NT the devices dialog box looks like alphabet soup, all those abbreviations and words I never knew existed. I just need to learn NT so I can work on trying to get MCSE. I'm just starting out and I know this is probably a simple matter for you who have been working with NT for years. But I just need a little help.
Thanks

DSutcliffe

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Since your new to NT, you might as well get used to one thing that is neccessary with WinNT. Learn to Service Pack. Even if you have the latest service pack installed, you may need to re-apply it to get rid of errors such as these. This is particularily neccessary if you install something that requires files from the I386 directory.

Why does this work? If you read the NT books available they will explain it.

If that does not work, examine what software or hardware you may have installed recently and attempt to remove or re-install as neccessary.

Good Luck!

P.S. The NT tests for MCSE have been retired, consider moving to Win2K.

Check out my rig:
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=3737" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=3737</A>

G

Thanks for the tip I will try reinstalling the service pack. I am using 6a it I believe it is the latest. I know the MCSE has switched to win2k, but I like to read the story from the begining. 'Sides it helps to know where you came from so you can know where you're going. Again thanks for the thread.