notebook hard drive

my notebooks hd is going bad. hp is sending me a new one this
week. i am trying to figure out the easiest and cheapest way to copy
my old hard drive to the new one. i dont want to start over again,
settings, programs etc.

i am running windows xp home, i have an external hard drive that is
larger then the notebooks. it is also an external hd with an
enclosure, so i can swap out the drive.

i know if it was a desktop i could put the new one in as a slave and
then copy,(with norton ghost, which i dont have yet) but with the
notebook this is not an option. depending on if the pins are the
same, i maybe able to use my external case and inset the new notebook
hd in it? does anyone off hand know if they will fit?

what is the best way to achieve this? oh and also the easiest.. lol

thank you

jackie
5 answers Last reply
More about notebook hard drive

    In article <4kkn21du7psq4e35ot7cpcg78p49srq7t1@4ax.com>,
    guesswho <guesswho> wrote:
    > my notebooks hd is going bad. hp is sending me a new one this
    >week. i am trying to figure out the easiest and cheapest way to copy
    >my old hard drive to the new one. i dont want to start over again,
    >settings, programs etc.
    >
    >i am running windows xp home, i have an external hard drive that is
    >larger then the notebooks. it is also an external hd with an
    >enclosure, so i can swap out the drive.
    >
    >i know if it was a desktop i could put the new one in as a slave and
    >then copy,(with norton ghost, which i dont have yet) but with the
    >notebook this is not an option. depending on if the pins are the
    >same, i maybe able to use my external case and inset the new notebook
    >hd in it? does anyone off hand know if they will fit?
    >
    >what is the best way to achieve this? oh and also the easiest.. lol
    >

    >thank you
    >

    >jackie

    For a couple bucks you can buy an adapter cable that will connect your
    laptop disk to any desktop machine as an IDE secondary. You could
    then, with luck, image the laptop drive to the C drive, hook up the
    new disk and image back to it.

    I'll guess that any small computer shop could do this for a couple
    hours labor even if they didn't sell you the equipment.

    An alternative is to run out and buy a Maxtor Onetouch backup
    appliance which will hook up via asb and accomplish the same thing and
    give you a way of doing backups afterwords. (starts at abouy $150 for
    an 80GB model.)

    --

    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    >An alternative is to run out and buy a Maxtor Onetouch backup
    >appliance which will hook up via asb and accomplish the same thing and
    >give you a way of doing backups afterwords. (starts at abouy $150 for
    >an 80GB model.)

    http://www.iomega.com/na/products/product_family.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=432687&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=63191&bmUID=1110287455190

    i already have the externals. what do you think about this program?
    how does it compare to ghost?

    thanks for your opinion.

    jackie

    guesswho wrote:
    > my notebooks hd is going bad. hp is sending me a new one this
    > week. i am trying to figure out the easiest and cheapest way to copy
    > my old hard drive to the new one. i dont want to start over again,
    > settings, programs etc.
    >
    > i am running windows xp home, i have an external hard drive that is
    > larger then the notebooks. it is also an external hd with an
    > enclosure, so i can swap out the drive.
    >
    > i know if it was a desktop i could put the new one in as a slave and
    > then copy,(with norton ghost, which i dont have yet) but with the
    > notebook this is not an option. depending on if the pins are the
    > same, i maybe able to use my external case and inset the new notebook
    > hd in it? does anyone off hand know if they will fit?
    >
    > what is the best way to achieve this? oh and also the easiest.. lol
    >

    > thank you
    >

    > jackie
    A lot of people swear by Norton Ghost, but I have found that the simple
    free utilities from the manufacturers that come with the drives work
    just as well(albeit slower) for cloning drives.

    >A lot of people swear by Norton Ghost, but I have found that the simple
    >free utilities from the manufacturers that come with the drives work
    >just as well(albeit slower) for cloning drives.

    unfortunetly this was not an option. hp has their own hd and doesnt
    come with one...

    i wound up just doing a format/reinstall and copied my hard drive to
    the external and as needed pulling info off of it. at least this way
    i can remember what was on it and if i need a file i can pull it off

    thank you everyone for the help.

    jackie

    On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 12:09:57 -0500, guesswho@dodgeit.com
    wrote:

    >>A lot of people swear by Norton Ghost, but I have found that the simple
    >>free utilities from the manufacturers that come with the drives work
    >>just as well(albeit slower) for cloning drives.
    >

    >unfortunetly this was not an option. hp has their own hd and doesnt
    >come with one...

    No, they don't "have their own", they use industry standard
    hard drives... is no different than if you bought the bare
    OEM drive off a website, you'd have to D/L the util from the
    manufacturer (of the HDD). If you don't know what brand it
    is, you could either try to read the label (if you don't
    recognize brands from odd angles (being familar with their
    uniquenesses), OR randomly pick a HDD manufacturer's utility
    to download. That random utility might be the right one as
    there aren't too many major makes, or it might list what
    make the drive is, or if it simply refuses to run because
    "their" drive isn't in the system, try a different
    manufacturer.

Homebuilt Notebooks Hard Drives Systems