How to disable BIOS passwod?

Hello,

I just picked up an older Celeron 400Mhz homebuilt PC at local pawn shop and
I need to know how to disable the BIOS password that the previous owner
setup. I tried removing the battery on the motherboard, put it back in and
still it prompted for a password.

I've got no manuals or documentation of this system, a home built PC. Might
anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff Ingram wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just picked up an older Celeron 400Mhz homebuilt PC at local pawn shop and
> I need to know how to disable the BIOS password that the previous owner
> setup. I tried removing the battery on the motherboard,

Unplug the AC power cord.

Jeff Ingram <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just picked up an older Celeron 400Mhz homebuilt PC at local pawn shop and
> I need to know how to disable the BIOS password that the previous owner
> setup. I tried removing the battery on the motherboard, put it back in and
> still it prompted for a password.
>
> I've got no manuals or documentation of this system, a home built PC. Might
> anyone know how to do this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

So far as manuals are concerned, try googling for it. I even found a
manual for my IBM Aptiva.

Try leaving the battery out over night.

Usually there is a reset pin where the bios will be reset upon placing a
jumper over. Usually marked bios reset or reset or something like that.

--

Wing Wong.
Webpage: http://wing.ucc.asn.au

I did that when I took out the battery and put it back in. In fact I do
that ANY time I open a computer and put my hands in it, don't you?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff Ingram wrote:
> I did that when I took out the battery and put it back in. In fact I do
> that ANY time I open a computer and put my hands in it, don't you?

No, because there are things that require power. For example, unplugging
the PSU would make measuring PSU voltage levels under load considerably
more difficult.

Which is neither here nor there as leaving the PSU plugged in when trying
to clear CMOS is a common oversight.

But it is a good idea to, as you say, always unplug the PSU and leave the
times it's needed as an exception.

> Thanks,
>
> Jeff
>

> "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
>
>>Jeff Ingram wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I just picked up an older Celeron 400Mhz homebuilt PC at local pawn shop
>
> and
>
>>>I need to know how to disable the BIOS password that the previous owner
>>>setup. I tried removing the battery on the motherboard,
>>
>>Unplug the AC power cord.
>>

>>>put it back in and
>>>still it prompted for a password.
>>>
>>>I've got no manuals or documentation of this system, a home built PC.
>
> Might
>
>>>anyone know how to do this?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>Jeff

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Jeff Ingram wrote:
> I did that when I took out the battery and put it back in. In fact I do
> that ANY time I open a computer and put my hands in it, don't you?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

Did you wait several minutes before replacing the battery? Caps charge
up and retain their charge for some time when the battery is removed.

I have a copy of KillCMOS if you are looking for one. It works well,
but since it is designed to change the CMOS, it will be detected by an
AV program as a virus. I just thought I would alert you beforehand. It
will not infect your computer however.

> "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
>
>>Jeff Ingram wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I just picked up an older Celeron 400Mhz homebuilt PC at local pawn shop
>
> and
>
>>>I need to know how to disable the BIOS password that the previous owner
>>>setup. I tried removing the battery on the motherboard,
>>
>>Unplug the AC power cord.
>>

>>>put it back in and
>>>still it prompted for a password.
>>>
>>>I've got no manuals or documentation of this system, a home built PC.
>
> Might
>
>>>anyone know how to do this?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>Jeff

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 00:39:18 -0500, "Jeff Ingram" <ingramje@gmail.com>
put finger to keyboard and composed:

>I just picked up an older Celeron 400Mhz homebuilt PC at local pawn shop and
>I need to know how to disable the BIOS password that the previous owner
>setup. I tried removing the battery on the motherboard, put it back in and
>still it prompted for a password.

If you can boot, and if the password is stored in CMOS RAM, then try
trashing it by using DOS debug:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips/msg/8b49359d514089f7?dmode=source

>I've got no manuals or documentation of this system, a home built PC. Might
>anyone know how to do this?

Check the motherboard for a manufacture and/or model ID. Pause during
the POST and record any BIOS ID string. Then search for this ID at
http://www.wimsbios.com/.

- Franc Zabkar

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 00:39:18 -0500, "Jeff Ingram" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I just picked up an older Celeron 400Mhz homebuilt PC at local pawn shop and
>I need to know how to disable the BIOS password that the previous owner
>setup. I tried removing the battery on the motherboard, put it back in and
>still it prompted for a password.
>
>I've got no manuals or documentation of this system, a home built PC. Might
>anyone know how to do this?

Best way by far is to jump the "clear CMOS" pins. That's the method of
choice for most manufacturers. That's the sole purpose of clear CMOS pins.

Pulling the button cell battery is safe too, and works on all boards I have
tried, but it is possible it would not work on some boards.

-- Bob

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003

Try powering on with the battery out after waiting a few mins. Works for my
old celery heater.