Ready to trash this mobo.....

Joe

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I have a barebones system that I put together. At first it was working
fine, but at one point the PS2 mouse stopped working. I've tried
different mice that I know are working in other systems. The pointer
sits in the middle of the screen, and the buttons do not work.

I've tried the following without any success....
1. PS2 mouse plugged into either mouse PS2 ports (my system has two
mouse PS2 ports)
2. USB mouse
3. serial mouse

Also, I've tried all of the above in both WindowsXP and Linux. Still no
mouse.

Any ideas of where to go next? Is there any hardware diagnostics floppy
that I could boot to and test the PS2 port?

Any help would be appreciated.

Joe wrote:

> I have a barebones system that I put together. At first it was working
> fine, but at one point the PS2 mouse stopped working. I've tried
> different mice that I know are working in other systems. The pointer
> sits in the middle of the screen, and the buttons do not work.
>
> I've tried the following without any success....
> 1. PS2 mouse plugged into either mouse PS2 ports (my system has two
> mouse PS2 ports)
> 2. USB mouse
> 3. serial mouse
>
> Also, I've tried all of the above in both WindowsXP and Linux. Still no
> mouse.
>
> Any ideas of where to go next? Is there any hardware diagnostics floppy
> that I could boot to and test the PS2 port?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> -Joe

Two PS2 mouse ports? What for?

My first thought is you have either a BIOS configuration or software issue
because, surely, 2 PS2 mouse ports, a serial port, plus USB can't *all* be
suddenly bad at the same time.

Although, I suppose it's possible if a common super I/O chip went out.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 02:35:06 GMT, Joe
<albanese@ameritech.net> wrote:

>I have a barebones system that I put together. At first it was working
>fine, but at one point the PS2 mouse stopped working. I've tried
>different mice that I know are working in other systems. The pointer
>sits in the middle of the screen, and the buttons do not work.

Only in windows or other OS too?
If you're a windows-only kinda joe, maybe one of the HDD
manufacturer's utilities will make a boot floopy that loads
a mouse driver so you could use a more fixed environment.

You could also check a few things on the otherboard, like
the 5V/5VSB jumper ( in case your PSU has insufficient 5VSB
current ) and the continuity of the fuse (assuming there is
one, though some of the junkier boards don't have one).

>I've tried the following without any success....
>1. PS2 mouse plugged into either mouse PS2 ports (my system has two
>mouse PS2 ports)
>2. USB mouse
>3. serial mouse
>
>Also, I've tried all of the above in both WindowsXP and Linux. Still no
>mouse.

Hmmm. I should read ahead more often. :)
What kind of system is this that has two mouse PS2 ports?

It's most curious that other, and USB, serial, mice don't
work either. Maybe you should disable one of the mouse
ports? Since windows is more common, let's address the USB
mouse on it... what happens when you plug in the USB mouse,
does windows detect it?

>Any ideas of where to go next? Is there any hardware diagnostics floppy
>that I could boot to and test the PS2 port?
>
>Any help would be appreciated.

Any chance you might have the wrong bios installed for the
motherboard? Had the system been working properly and then
(???) happened or was always like this or ???

kony wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 02:35:06 GMT, Joe
> <albanese@ameritech.net> wrote:
>

>>I have a barebones system that I put together. At first it was working
>>fine, but at one point the PS2 mouse stopped working. I've tried
>>different mice that I know are working in other systems. The pointer
>>sits in the middle of the screen, and the buttons do not work.
>

> Only in windows or other OS too?
> If you're a windows-only kinda joe, maybe one of the HDD
> manufacturer's utilities will make a boot floopy that loads
> a mouse driver so you could use a more fixed environment.
>
> You could also check a few things on the otherboard, like
> the 5V/5VSB jumper ( in case your PSU has insufficient 5VSB
> current ) and the continuity of the fuse (assuming there is
> one, though some of the junkier boards don't have one).
>

>>I've tried the following without any success....
>>1. PS2 mouse plugged into either mouse PS2 ports (my system has two
>>mouse PS2 ports)
>>2. USB mouse
>>3. serial mouse
>>
>>Also, I've tried all of the above in both WindowsXP and Linux. Still no
>>mouse.
>

> Hmmm. I should read ahead more often. :)
> What kind of system is this that has two mouse PS2 ports?
Its an ecube system, designed to be an entertainment system. It has a
PS2 mouse in the front as well as the back.

> It's most curious that other, and USB, serial, mice don't
> work either. Maybe you should disable one of the mouse
> ports? Since windows is more common, let's address the USB
> mouse on it... what happens when you plug in the USB mouse,
> does windows detect it?

I just reinstalled XP with a serial mouse plugged into com1. Same
problem. I inserted a USB mouse. The PC recognizes that something is
plugged into the USB slot, but it says "USB Device Not Recognized"

>>Any ideas of where to go next? Is there any hardware diagnostics floppy
>>that I could boot to and test the PS2 port?
>>
>>Any help would be appreciated.
>

> Any chance you might have the wrong bios installed for the
> motherboard? Had the system been working properly and then
> (???) happened or was always like this or ???
I have the latest BIOS installed for the system. That is the only thing
the manufacturer would confirm for me.

Joe

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

The machine is designed to be a media PC. Its a smaller mobo (miniATX,
I think). Is there any setting in the BIOS that would only affect the
mouse? I also have a strange problem with the Linux 2.6 kernel. If I
run that kernel I get no keyboard control. But, I assumed this was just
a 2.6 problem since I have no problems with the keyboard in XP or the
2.4 kernel.

David Maynard wrote:
> Joe wrote:
>
>> I have a barebones system that I put together. At first it was
>> working fine, but at one point the PS2 mouse stopped working. I've
>> tried different mice that I know are working in other systems. The
>> pointer sits in the middle of the screen, and the buttons do not work.
>>
>> I've tried the following without any success....
>> 1. PS2 mouse plugged into either mouse PS2 ports (my system has two
>> mouse PS2 ports)
>> 2. USB mouse
>> 3. serial mouse
>>
>> Also, I've tried all of the above in both WindowsXP and Linux. Still
>> no mouse.
>>
>> Any ideas of where to go next? Is there any hardware diagnostics
>> floppy that I could boot to and test the PS2 port?
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> -Joe
>

> Two PS2 mouse ports? What for?
>
> My first thought is you have either a BIOS configuration or software
> issue because, surely, 2 PS2 mouse ports, a serial port, plus USB can't
> *all* be suddenly bad at the same time.
>
> Although, I suppose it's possible if a common super I/O chip went out.

Joe

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I have half of the problem solved. Turns out there is a driver update
for the VIA chipset. Once I installed the driver my USB mouse does
work, but my PS2 mouse does not. I guess this will have to do.

thanks for you help.

Joe wrote:

> The machine is designed to be a media PC. Its a smaller mobo (miniATX,
> I think). Is there any setting in the BIOS that would only affect the
> mouse?

No, not 'the mouse' but if you have all those ports disabled it would, as
well as anything else you tried plugging into them.

"Joe" <albanese@ameritech.net> wrote in message
>I have half of the problem solved. Turns out there is a driver update for
>the VIA chipset. Once I installed the driver my USB mouse does work, but
>my PS2 mouse does not. I guess this will have to do.
>
> thanks for you help.

Kind of grabbing straws here, but have you installed all of your motherboard
drivers (.inf)?

Ed

> Matt wrote:
>> Joe wrote:
>>
>>> I have a barebones system that I put together. At first it was working
>>> fine, but at one point the PS2 mouse stopped working. I've tried
>>> different mice that I know are working in other systems. The pointer
>>> sits in the middle of the screen, and the buttons do not work.
>>>
>>> I've tried the following without any success....
>>> 1. PS2 mouse plugged into either mouse PS2 ports (my system has two
>>> mouse PS2 ports)
>>> 2. USB mouse
>>> 3. serial mouse
>>>
>>> Also, I've tried all of the above in both WindowsXP and Linux. Still no
>>> mouse.
>>

>> It is not clear whether you are getting the same symptoms (pointer stays
>> in the middle; buttons don't work) with all six combinations of mouse
>> type and OS.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Not to question all of your input
but are you sure it has two PS2 mouse ports ????
or just two PS2 ports one for possibly keyboard, and one for the mouse.
Had a client once who hooked them up wrong and fried out that part of
the board.

Just suggestions

Bats

A+, CNA