WinXP installation - Probably hardware problem

Problem installing Operating system.

I am experiencing a problem installing WinXP on a home built system. I am
pretty sure that the problem is hardware related, but I can't locate the
issue.

The system has a MSI KT4V motherboard, a Western Digital 120GB hard drive,
with a 100GB Western Digital drive as slave on the same EIDE channel, and an
Nvidia 6600video card and 1 gig of PC266 RAM.

My problem is that I cannot seem to install Windows XP. After formatting
the main hard drive in FAT 32 using Ghost's Gdrive utility, I boot into DOS
and load smart drive and try to load the WINNT setup program under the I386
folder for WinXP.

This process has functioned fine many times, but in the case of this current
setup, it freezes up while loading files onto the hard drive needed to
install. It never succeeds in leaving the DOS segment of the install
process.

I'm not sure if the problem is with the hard drive (it is a new drive) or
some defect in the motherboard.

I would be grateful for any advice!
20 answers Last reply
More about winxp installation hardware problem

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 21:37:34 -0600, "pj"
    <pjenrow@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Problem installing Operating system.
    >

    >I am experiencing a problem installing WinXP on a home built system. I am
    >pretty sure that the problem is hardware related, but I can't locate the
    >issue.
    >

    >The system has a MSI KT4V motherboard, a Western Digital 120GB hard drive,
    >with a 100GB Western Digital drive as slave on the same EIDE channel, and an
    >Nvidia 6600video card and 1 gig of PC266 RAM.
    >

    >My problem is that I cannot seem to install Windows XP. After formatting
    >the main hard drive in FAT 32 using Ghost's Gdrive utility, I boot into DOS
    >and load smart drive and try to load the WINNT setup program under the I386
    >folder for WinXP.
    >

    >This process has functioned fine many times, but in the case of this current
    >setup, it freezes up while loading files onto the hard drive needed to
    >install. It never succeeds in leaving the DOS segment of the install
    >process.

    1) Recheck your media. If it's a CDR, maybe it's gone bad.
    Maybe the files on the drive are corrupted... recopy them
    and try again.

    2) Test the memory for several hours with memtest86

    3) Check heatsink-CPU interface, fans spinning, temp, and
    voltages. If you have a multimeter, use it. Do you have a
    decent name-brand power supply?

    4) Reset bios to defaults. Clear CMOS via jumper. Then if
    it doesn't help, see if underclocking improves things.

    5) Run the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic utility (floppy or
    CDR) available from their website. Check cables, data and
    power, and the seating of cards, memory, etc. Some of this
    may be unnecessary but you didn't mention the history of the
    system so we're guessing a bit, and/or covering all bases.

    6) Remove all but 1 memory module, all "unnecessary"
    (towards merely installing windows) cards, all USB devices
    (except mouse and/or keyboard if you MUST use USB type), and
    all onboard features on the motherboard, including secondary
    drive controllers, sound, lan, firewire, etc. Leave the
    floppy drive connected but disconnect the CDROM after you're
    sure you have intact/uncorrupt I386 folder on the HDD.

    >I'm not sure if the problem is with the hard drive (it is a new drive) or
    >some defect in the motherboard.

    Has winxp ever successfully installed on this system?
    Check for a bios update for the motherboard, but flash only
    if it seems stable (except for winxp installation of
    course).

    Hi Kony,

    Many thanks for the great suggestions.

    I believe the media is OK, since I have had the same problem using 2
    original DVD sources as well as a CDR version. I have not tried to copy the
    i386 directory to the target disk yet, but I thought that if I was having
    this odd problem, it would be a good idea to resolve it first.

    I have an Altec 400w power supply,which should be more than adequate for the
    system. I have ordered a tester for the PSU, so I can hopefully rule out a
    problem there. All fans are running fine and the bios screen indicates that
    the temperature is not a problem (low 40s). The memory appears to be seated
    fine given the successful memory test. I intend to run memtest to double
    check though.

    Neither WinXP or any other OS has ever been installed on this system as it
    is essentially new. The MB CPU combination is new as is the hard drive.

    Thanks again, and I will post the results of these tests.

    Paul

    "pj" <pjenrow@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Problem installing Operating system.
    >

    > I am experiencing a problem installing WinXP on a home built system. I am
    > pretty sure that the problem is hardware related, but I can't locate the
    > issue.
    >

    > The system has a MSI KT4V motherboard, a Western Digital 120GB hard drive,
    > with a 100GB Western Digital drive as slave on the same EIDE channel, and
    > an Nvidia 6600video card and 1 gig of PC266 RAM.
    >

    > My problem is that I cannot seem to install Windows XP. After formatting
    > the main hard drive in FAT 32 using Ghost's Gdrive utility, I boot into
    > DOS and load smart drive and try to load the WINNT setup program under the
    > I386 folder for WinXP.

    You are using the WINNT32 setup, correct? :-)

    > This process has functioned fine many times, but in the case of this
    > current setup, it freezes up while loading files onto the hard drive
    > needed to install. It never succeeds in leaving the DOS segment of the
    > install process.
    >

    > I'm not sure if the problem is with the hard drive (it is a new drive) or
    > some defect in the motherboard.
    >

    > I would be grateful for any advice!

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 04:40:56 GMT, "John E. Carty"
    <jecarty@NOSPAMsbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >> My problem is that I cannot seem to install Windows XP. After formatting
    >> the main hard drive in FAT 32 using Ghost's Gdrive utility, I boot into
    >> DOS and load smart drive and try to load the WINNT setup program under the
    >> I386 folder for WinXP.
    >
    >You are using the WINNT32 setup, correct? :-)

    Err, in DOS it would be winnt, not winnt32

    pj writes:

    > I would be grateful for any advice!

    Try doing a standard setup of XP instead of a hacked one.

    pj wrote:

    > Hi Kony,
    >
    > Many thanks for the great suggestions.
    >
    > I believe the media is OK, since I have had the same problem using 2
    > original DVD sources as well as a CDR version. I have not tried to copy the
    > i386 directory to the target disk yet, but I thought that if I was having
    > this odd problem, it would be a good idea to resolve it first.
    >
    > I have an Altec 400w power supply,which should be more than adequate for the
    > system. I have ordered a tester for the PSU, so I can hopefully rule out a
    > problem there. All fans are running fine and the bios screen indicates that
    > the temperature is not a problem (low 40s). The memory appears to be seated
    > fine given the successful memory test. I intend to run memtest to double
    > check though.
    >
    > Neither WinXP or any other OS has ever been installed on this system as it
    > is essentially new. The MB CPU combination is new as is the hard drive.
    >
    > Thanks again, and I will post the results of these tests.

    Why aren't you booting from the CD and doing the install the normal way?

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:05:09 -0600, "pj"
    <pjenrow@hotmail.com> wrote:

    <snip>

    >I have an Altec 400w power supply,which should be more than adequate for the
    >system.

    ?? Who makes Altec? Sounds a bit like a generic, in which
    case it might not be safe to assume it's actually capable of
    400W. Could be, but insufficient info to determine.

    >I have ordered a tester for the PSU, so I can hopefully rule out a
    >problem there.

    If it's the simple plug-in type that does little more than
    put a minimal load on 5V rail and short PS-On to ground, it
    is not really going to "test" anything more than a basic
    minimal function of the unit, not that it's actually
    operating properly let alone suitable for the system. In
    such cases a multimeter can be used to take voltage readings
    at the connection (connector) to the load, that being where
    it connects to the motherboard while the system is "on".

    Even then, in some cases the only reliable test is to swap
    in a PSU known adequate per system type and working
    properly.

    The PROPER way to load XP onto a new machine is to set the BIOS to boot 1st
    from the CD-ROM, then insert the XP CD and reboot. The computer will boot
    from the XP CD and you then just follow the directions.

    --
    DaveW

    "pj" <pjenrow@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Problem installing Operating system.
    >

    > I am experiencing a problem installing WinXP on a home built system. I am
    > pretty sure that the problem is hardware related, but I can't locate the
    > issue.
    >

    > The system has a MSI KT4V motherboard, a Western Digital 120GB hard drive,
    > with a 100GB Western Digital drive as slave on the same EIDE channel, and
    > an Nvidia 6600video card and 1 gig of PC266 RAM.
    >

    > My problem is that I cannot seem to install Windows XP. After formatting
    > the main hard drive in FAT 32 using Ghost's Gdrive utility, I boot into
    > DOS and load smart drive and try to load the WINNT setup program under the
    > I386 folder for WinXP.
    >

    > This process has functioned fine many times, but in the case of this
    > current setup, it freezes up while loading files onto the hard drive
    > needed to install. It never succeeds in leaving the DOS segment of the
    > install process.
    >

    > I'm not sure if the problem is with the hard drive (it is a new drive) or
    > some defect in the motherboard.
    >

    > I would be grateful for any advice!

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:26:03 -0600, David Maynard
    <nospam@private.net> wrote:

    >Why aren't you booting from the CD and doing the install the normal way?

    Why would anyone prefer to boot from the CD if they know how
    to do it better?

    I never use the CD, installing from folder on HDD should not
    be an issue and I'm puzzled why you and another poster have
    brought this up. Perhaps if it read from the CD, it would
    install so slowly that the CPU wasn't as utilized and that
    might mask other problems like overheating or poor power,
    but doing so would not be a solution, merely increasing odds
    of having a seemingly correct installation that had been
    corrupt.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    kony wrote:

    > On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:26:03 -0600, David Maynard
    > <nospam@private.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Why aren't you booting from the CD and doing the install the normal way?
    >

    > Why would anyone prefer to boot from the CD

    Because it's simple.

    > if they know how to do it better?

    He wasn't doing the "better" version. He didn't copy the files to the hard
    drive and invoke setup. He formatted the drive, put DOS and smartdrive on
    it, and then invoked winnt from the CD folder.

    That's going to a lot of work, with the potential for errors, to accomplish
    the exact same thing booting from the CD does.

    > I never use the CD, installing from folder on HDD should not
    > be an issue

    I often install from the hard drive too.

    > and I'm puzzled why you and another poster have
    > brought this up.

    Because he gains nothing by the method he chose and since he did all that
    work just to recreate a CD boot, and then install from the CD, I simply
    wondered why he didn't just boot from the CD.

    > Perhaps if it read from the CD, it would
    > install so slowly that the CPU wasn't as utilized and that
    > might mask other problems like overheating or poor power,
    > but doing so would not be a solution, merely increasing odds
    > of having a seemingly correct installation that had been
    > corrupt.

    I think the miscommunication here is you are presuming he copied the files
    over, like you and I would, when he specifically said he didn't do that.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    kony writes:

    > Why would anyone prefer to boot from the CD if they know how
    > to do it better?

    The usual reason for not booting from the CD is that the software is
    pirated.

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Thanks everyone for the advice.

    I was a bit too tired when I posted last night and wrote that the psu was
    Altec. Of course I meant Antec (I could imagine some knock-off PSU named
    Altec though).

    The reason I was not using a boot from the CD rather than booting the system
    from a DOS floppy and loading smartdrive seperately was mostly just a bad
    habit I got into. While the DVDs from MSDN are supposed to be bootable, it
    appears that I would have to switch the order of my CD / DVD drives to get
    the DVD drive to be recognized as bootable. So I am a little lazy (or stuck
    in a rut) and just boot to DOS with CD/DVD drivers and launch the Winnt.exe
    that way. I hadn't considered this as an important step to try since I had
    used this procedure to install XP on another computer (the one I am using
    now) just a week ago, and it worked fine.

    I get my WinXP from a DVD with a number of other OS's since I had a MSDN
    subscription, and this is the way it came. It certainly isn't pirated.

    I ran memtest89 last night and it indicated a large number of memory errors,
    The memory (DDR 266 PC 2100) is generic, and it might not be up to the
    higher bus speed. I tried clocking down to 100mhz FSB, but still got the
    same errors. The hard drive tests returned no problems.

    Thanks again for the advice.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 20:31:30 +0100, Mxsmanic
    <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >kony writes:
    >
    >> Why would anyone prefer to boot from the CD if they know how
    >> to do it better?
    >
    >The usual reason for not booting from the CD is that the software is
    >pirated.

    Do you have any evidence of this?
    Businesses install over lan all the time. Actually anyone
    who's been around a while knows it's better to have the
    source OS files already on the HDD so the OS doesn't look
    for them later, plus it installs SO much faster.

    Do you really thing someone competent enough to pirate XP,
    to get it and circumvent the activation, isn't able to do
    something as simple as burn a CDR? Of all the possible
    reasons why someone would or wouldn't boot to CD, yours
    seems quite low on the list... or maybe I"m wrong, I've
    never hear of anyone claiming "I pirated it so I have to
    install from HDD".
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:28:04 -0600, David Maynard
    <nospam@private.net> wrote:

    >kony wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:26:03 -0600, David Maynard
    >> <nospam@private.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Why aren't you booting from the CD and doing the install the normal way?
    >>

    >> Why would anyone prefer to boot from the CD
    >
    >Because it's simple.
    >
    >> if they know how to do it better?
    >
    >He wasn't doing the "better" version. He didn't copy the files to the hard
    >drive and invoke setup. He formatted the drive, put DOS and smartdrive on
    >it, and then invoked winnt from the CD folder.
    >
    >That's going to a lot of work, with the potential for errors, to accomplish
    >the exact same thing booting from the CD does.

    Ok, sorry, should have read more carefully.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    > On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:26:03 -0600, David Maynard
    > <nospam@private.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Why aren't you booting from the CD and doing the install the normal way?
    >
    > Why would anyone prefer to boot from the CD if they know how
    > to do it better?

    Uh, because in this case it "don't" work better. Why no try it the stupid
    way once to see if that works better?

    8 )
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    > On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:28:04 -0600, David Maynard
    > <nospam@private.net> wrote:
    >
    >>kony wrote:

    >>> Why would anyone prefer to boot from the CD
    >>
    >>Because it's simple.
    >>
    >>> if they know how to do it better?
    >>
    >>He wasn't doing the "better" version. He didn't copy the files to the hard
    >>drive and invoke setup. He formatted the drive, put DOS and smartdrive on
    >>it, and then invoked winnt from the CD folder.
    >>
    >>That's going to a lot of work, with the potential for errors, to
    >>accomplish
    >>the exact same thing booting from the CD does.
    >
    > Ok, sorry, should have read more carefully.

    Heh... even the computer Ueber-Gurus have bad days.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    > Thanks everyone for the advice.
    >
    > I was a bit too tired when I posted last night and wrote that the psu was
    > Altec. Of course I meant Antec (I could imagine some knock-off PSU named
    > Altec though).
    >
    > The reason I was not using a boot from the CD rather than booting the
    > system from a DOS floppy and loading smartdrive seperately was mostly just
    > a bad habit I got into. While the DVDs from MSDN are supposed to be
    > bootable, it appears that I would have to switch the order of my CD / DVD
    > drives to get the DVD drive to be recognized as bootable. So I am a
    > little lazy (or stuck in a rut) and just boot to DOS with CD/DVD drivers
    > and launch the Winnt.exe that way. I hadn't considered this as an
    > important step to try since I had used this procedure to install XP on
    > another computer (the one I am using now) just a week ago, and it worked
    > fine.
    >
    > I get my WinXP from a DVD with a number of other OS's since I had a MSDN
    > subscription, and this is the way it came. It certainly isn't pirated.
    >
    > I ran memtest89 last night and it indicated a large number of memory
    > errors, The memory (DDR 266 PC 2100) is generic, and it might not be up to
    > the higher bus speed. I tried clocking down to 100mhz FSB, but still got
    > the same errors. The hard drive tests returned no problems.
    >
    > Thanks again for the advice.

    Very cool... I'm glad (as an interested observer) that you are a little
    closer to isolating your problems.

    Good luck.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 08:41:16 GMT, "Morituri-|-Max"
    <newage@sendarico.net> wrote:

    >"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:26:03 -0600, David Maynard
    >> <nospam@private.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Why aren't you booting from the CD and doing the install the normal way?
    >>
    >> Why would anyone prefer to boot from the CD if they know how
    >> to do it better?
    >
    >Uh, because in this case it "don't" work better. Why no try it the stupid
    >way once to see if that works better?
    >
    >8 )

    But, you imply it makes a difference. If the PC works
    properly this should make no difference... so if it does
    work the 'stupid' way, it may get windows installed but the
    problem remains... or it may corrupt windows and OP is
    running an OS that keeps crashing and will never get it
    running right, chasing around not only the original problem
    but then also a corrupt OS. Adding more problems makes
    troubleshooting MUCH harder.

    On the other hand, sure it could be tried, the install could
    finish, maybe then more diagnostics software can be
    loaded.... but if there is ANY CPU or memory, chipset
    instability then it would be prudent to fix that and THEN
    start over reinstalling windows clean, not overtop of itself
    and not a repair.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 19:46:43 GMT, "Baad Boy"
    <Boybaad@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >...just as I said before, "argue as though they are the supreme right".

    It's not about "... they", it's about a workable solution.
    Pretty easy to come across people with attitudes, but in the
    end the argument "should" be towards that solution.

    If you don't like usenet there are other places to be?
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 19:53:12 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:

    >On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 19:46:43 GMT, "Baad Boy"
    ><Boybaad@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>...just as I said before, "argue as though they are the supreme right".
    >
    >It's not about "... they", it's about a workable solution.
    >Pretty easy to come across people with attitudes, but in the
    >end the argument "should" be towards that solution.
    >
    >If you don't like usenet there are other places to be?

    A word of support for kony.

    I have dipped into this Newsgroup many times in the past and feel that
    any input from kony is the one to favour.

    Whenever "embelishments" are put in a response I feel that they are
    worth having if it allows the poster to fully explain his position.

    I would rather have a "long winded" reply from kony than none at all.

    KM

Homebuilt Hard Drives Hardware Problem Systems