do you someone heare about this hardware?

do you someone heare about this peace of hardware:

magnetic card what you have one meter near some PC or electronic machine and
it can change power up or power down (or on/off some switch) electronic
inside PC or electronic machine

any url or some name for this?

PHP2 wrote:
> do you someone heare about this peace of hardware:
>
> magnetic card what you have one meter near some PC or electronic machine and
> it can change power up or power down (or on/off some switch) electronic
> inside PC or electronic machine
>

> any url or some name for this?

Probably something similar this although this one also includes a
fingerprint reader which you didn't call for.

http://www.accessdeniedsystems.com/BioProximity.htm

There are any number of RF proximity readers that are used to control
security access through locked doors and the like and most of those
might be adaptable to what you ask for. Unfortunately most commercial
systems are designed intentionally to have a relatively short range --
up to about 1/2 meter seems to be the limit of most I've seen. Try
googling for "rf proximity security card"

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

John McGaw wrote:
> PHP2 wrote:
>
>> do you someone heare about this peace of hardware:
>>
>> magnetic card what you have one meter near some PC or electronic
>> machine and it can change power up or power down (or on/off some
>> switch) electronic inside PC or electronic machine
>>

>> any url or some name for this?
>>

> Probably something similar this although this one also includes a
> fingerprint reader which you didn't call for.
>
> http://www.accessdeniedsystems.com/BioProximity.htm
>
> There are any number of RF proximity readers that are used to control
> security access through locked doors and the like and most of those
> might be adaptable to what you ask for. Unfortunately most commercial
> systems are designed intentionally to have a relatively short range --
> up to about 1/2 meter seems to be the limit of most I've seen. Try
> googling for "rf proximity security card"

This one is probably up to the job since it is made to operate from
inside a vehicle:

http://www.exim21.com/security/card_active.php

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

"PHP2" <nospam@nospam.tv> wrote in message
> do you someone heare about this peace of hardware:
>
> magnetic card what you have one meter near some PC or electronic machine
> and it can change power up or power down (or on/off some switch)
> electronic inside PC or electronic machine
>

> any url or some name for this?

hold on there, I'll get my Enigma machine out of the loft............

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:26:21 +0100, "PHP2"
<nospam@nospam.tv> wrote:

>do you someone heare about this peace of hardware:
>
>magnetic card what you have one meter near some PC or electronic machine and
>it can change power up or power down (or on/off some switch) electronic
>inside PC or electronic machine
>

>any url or some name for this?

I'd name it "Magnetic card reader".
Or "swipe card switch"
Or "Access card terminal"
Or "Secure Hyper Disco Fun".

These days that's old, boring technology... those were on
electric doors for decades. Today the RFID tag sensor based
designs seem more interesting... though to simple turn on or
off a PC, these are all quite easily hacked, they aren't
very secure at all unless you physically secure the hardware
itself, too.

it something like this:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/mas_assets/full/SP-OPT-SW.jpg

"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:26:21 +0100, "PHP2"
> <nospam@nospam.tv> wrote:
>
>>do you someone heare about this peace of hardware:
>>
>>magnetic card what you have one meter near some PC or electronic machine
>>and
>>it can change power up or power down (or on/off some switch) electronic
>>inside PC or electronic machine
>>

>>any url or some name for this?
>>

> I'd name it "Magnetic card reader".
> Or "swipe card switch"
> Or "Access card terminal"
> Or "Secure Hyper Disco Fun".
>
> These days that's old, boring technology... those were on
> electric doors for decades. Today the RFID tag sensor based
> designs seem more interesting... though to simple turn on or
> off a PC, these are all quite easily hacked, they aren't
> very secure at all unless you physically secure the hardware
> itself, too.

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 23:48:29 +0100, "PHP2"
<nospam@nospam.tv> wrote:

>it something like this:
>
>http://www.soundprofessionals.com/mas_assets/full/SP-OPT-SW.jpg

Ok, but that's not a "magnetic card", it's an infrared
transmitter and base, and a rather expensive one at $90.

You can get something more versatile for only one PC, even
with more features supported in Windows. For example,
http://www.ajump.ca/ajump/product.asp?dept_id=5511&pf_id=3A40122

John McGaw wrote:
> PHP2 wrote:
>
>> do you someone heare about this peace of hardware:
>>
>> magnetic card what you have one meter near some PC or electronic
>> machine and it can change power up or power down (or on/off some
>> switch) electronic inside PC or electronic machine
>>

>> any url or some name for this?
>>

> Probably something similar this although this one also includes a
> fingerprint reader which you didn't call for.
>
> http://www.accessdeniedsystems.com/BioProximity.htm

An appropriately named web site as the server refuses connection every time
I try to access it.