DOS Mame No Nag?

Anyone know where I can d/l a recompiled version of DOS mame with no nag?

I am running only 1 game in a original cab and just want it to boot to the
game...

TIA

Terry

terry@virtualsolutions.ca

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* Terry Edwards Wrote in alt.games.mame:

> Anyone know where I can d/l a recompiled version of DOS mame with
> no nag?
>
> I am running only 1 game in a original cab and just want it to
> boot to the game...
>
> TIA
>
> Terry
>
> terry@virtualsolutions.ca

What version of MAME? You dont need to recompile in recent versions to
turn off 'nag' screens.

--
David

Yes, but older versions don't have that option. :(
I'd like to acquire a few older versions w/o the
nag screens for a buddy of mine.

Scott C.

SINNER wrote:
> * Terry Edwards Wrote in alt.games.mame:
>

>>Anyone know where I can d/l a recompiled version of DOS mame with
>>no nag?
>>
>>I am running only 1 game in a original cab and just want it to
>>boot to the game...
>>
>>TIA
>>
>>Terry
>>
>>terry@virtualsolutions.ca
>>

> What version of MAME? You dont need to recompile in recent versions to
> turn off 'nag' screens.

I tried that am an ending-up with a 8+meg file
for MAME 0.36! It should be 1.5meg or so.

Scott C.

Scott Caldwell wrote:
> I tried that am an ending-up with a 8+meg file
> for MAME 0.36! It should be 1.5meg or so.
>
> Scott C.

That's because, I believe, you are not compressing it.
The few times I've compiled my own I got the same results.
A little over 6 meg of HD space shouldn't cause any problems I know of,
unless you are using one of those really old 5 1/4 HD, you found in 286s.
I remember the disc in side of these bad boys, gold frisbees you could
sharpen the edge of and use them like Odd Job in GoldFinger!

--
Bustin' Naughty Folks since 1983

See my custom built upright and cocktail cabinets at:
http://home.columbus.rr.com/supermappy/

Come to chat in #tombstones on preacher.foreverchat.net:6660-6667,7000

MAME: Forever Young!

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* Scott Caldwell wrote in alt.games.mame:
> I tried that am an ending-up with a 8+meg file
> for MAME 0.36! It should be 1.5meg or so.

You neeed to run the UPX compression if you want to make it smaller but
its no necessary.

--
David
Q: What do agnostic, insomniac dyslexics do at night?

Yeh, I figured that out about an hour after posting
this. The process is automated and mine was hanging-up
during that process. I finally started to get an error
message there that pointed me to update the msvcrt.dll
file. Once done, UPX.EXE ran fine and compressed the
file.

I'm going to attempt to go after a 0.52 version now,
but can I assume the only thing (besides the source
code) that changed was the allegro drivers? Which
version was correct for that build (and the 0.61 build)?

Scott C.

SINNER wrote:
> * Scott Caldwell wrote in alt.games.mame:
>
>>I tried that am an ending-up with a 8+meg file
>>for MAME 0.36! It should be 1.5meg or so.
>

> You neeed to run the UPX compression if you want to make it smaller but
> its no necessary.

Yep, you're right. I ran across a mention of that on
the MAME web site, but not until after posting this.

Scott C.