WPA2 & patch for SP2

Am currently using WEP but would like to switch to WPA-PSK ... have read
several articles which recommend AES over TKIP. In these articles WPA w/ AES
is referred to as WPA2 which is a bit confusing to me ... is WPA1 just the
TKIP standard?

I checked the specs of my router and wireless adapter, both list support for
WPA and AES support but doesn't specifically mention WPA2. Will I only
benefit from installing the KB893357 patch if I have WPA2 hardware? Will it
cause problems if the patch is applied to non-WPA2 hardware? Can the patch be
uninstalled?
22 answers Last reply
More about wpa2 patch

    You can find the answer to George Ou's blog "http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=67"
    where he explains WPA and WPA2. I am sure you will find that article very
    helpful.

    "JamesP" wrote:

    > Am currently using WEP but would like to switch to WPA-PSK ... have read
    > several articles which recommend AES over TKIP. In these articles WPA w/ AES
    > is referred to as WPA2 which is a bit confusing to me ... is WPA1 just the
    > TKIP standard?
    >
    > I checked the specs of my router and wireless adapter, both list support for
    > WPA and AES support but doesn't specifically mention WPA2. Will I only
    > benefit from installing the KB893357 patch if I have WPA2 hardware? Will it
    > cause problems if the patch is applied to non-WPA2 hardware? Can the patch be
    > uninstalled?

    Thanks for the blog link, it helped clarify the "standards" issue. I still
    need clarification on the MS patch (should I install it, can it cause
    problems and can it be uninstalled if needed?)

    "Tani" wrote:

    > You can find the answer to George Ou's blog "http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=67"
    > where he explains WPA and WPA2. I am sure you will find that article very
    > helpful.
    >
    > "JamesP" wrote:
    >
    > > Am currently using WEP but would like to switch to WPA-PSK ... have read
    > > several articles which recommend AES over TKIP. In these articles WPA w/ AES
    > > is referred to as WPA2 which is a bit confusing to me ... is WPA1 just the
    > > TKIP standard?
    > >
    > > I checked the specs of my router and wireless adapter, both list support for
    > > WPA and AES support but doesn't specifically mention WPA2. Will I only
    > > benefit from installing the KB893357 patch if I have WPA2 hardware? Will it
    > > cause problems if the patch is applied to non-WPA2 hardware? Can the patch be
    > > uninstalled?

    You may remove KB893357 hotfix if it causes any problem (to be 100% sure
    create a restore point by yourselef before applying it, although windows does
    it automatically).
    You have to install it if you hardware support "simple" WPA. WPA2 mandates
    AES mode of encryption. You may find further information about Microsoft WPA2
    in another post of George in http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=61.

    "JamesP" wrote:

    > Thanks for the blog link, it helped clarify the "standards" issue. I still
    > need clarification on the MS patch (should I install it, can it cause
    > problems and can it be uninstalled if needed?)
    >
    > "Tani" wrote:
    >
    > > You can find the answer to George Ou's blog "http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=67"
    > > where he explains WPA and WPA2. I am sure you will find that article very
    > > helpful.
    > >
    > > "JamesP" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Am currently using WEP but would like to switch to WPA-PSK ... have read
    > > > several articles which recommend AES over TKIP. In these articles WPA w/ AES
    > > > is referred to as WPA2 which is a bit confusing to me ... is WPA1 just the
    > > > TKIP standard?
    > > >
    > > > I checked the specs of my router and wireless adapter, both list support for
    > > > WPA and AES support but doesn't specifically mention WPA2. Will I only
    > > > benefit from installing the KB893357 patch if I have WPA2 hardware? Will it
    > > > cause problems if the patch is applied to non-WPA2 hardware? Can the patch be
    > > > uninstalled?

    Tani:
    I'm confused by something you said in your last response, "You have to
    install it if you hardware support "simple" WPA. WPA2 mandates AES mode of
    encryption." It seems like you're saying that everyone who has WPA hardware
    "should" install this patch? What about someone whose hardware supports WPA
    w/AES?

    PS: Appreciate all your assistance ... thanks!!

    "Tani" wrote:

    > You may remove KB893357 hotfix if it causes any problem (to be 100% sure
    > create a restore point by yourselef before applying it, although windows does
    > it automatically).
    > You have to install it if you hardware support "simple" WPA. WPA2 mandates
    > AES mode of encryption. You may find further information about Microsoft WPA2
    > in another post of George in http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=61.
    >
    > "JamesP" wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for the blog link, it helped clarify the "standards" issue. I still
    > > need clarification on the MS patch (should I install it, can it cause
    > > problems and can it be uninstalled if needed?)
    > >
    > > "Tani" wrote:
    > >
    > > > You can find the answer to George Ou's blog "http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=67"
    > > > where he explains WPA and WPA2. I am sure you will find that article very
    > > > helpful.

    I've seen no problems with a large variety of original generation
    802.11g cards and 802.11a cards -

    You really should move to at least WPA even if your hardware does not
    support WPA2 because WEP is truly so easy to break.

    Could you post a reply here with the exact brand and model hardware
    you are using - you might get advice from someone who has the
    identical equipment and is using it with the WPA2 update.

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    My hardware is:
    Belkin F5D7230-4 router ... manual says supports WPA w/ TKIP or AES
    Belkin F5D7010 wireless NIC ... manual says supports WPA w/ TKIP or AES

    "barb bowman" wrote:

    > I've seen no problems with a large variety of original generation
    > 802.11g cards and 802.11a cards -
    >
    > You really should move to at least WPA even if your hardware does not
    > support WPA2 because WEP is truly so easy to break.
    >
    > Could you post a reply here with the exact brand and model hardware
    > you are using - you might get advice from someone who has the
    > identical equipment and is using it with the WPA2 update.
    >
    > On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 08:43:29 -0700, JamesP
    > <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Tani:
    > >I'm confused by something you said in your last response, "You have to
    > >install it if you hardware support "simple" WPA. WPA2 mandates AES mode of
    > >encryption." It seems like you're saying that everyone who has WPA hardware
    > >"should" install this patch? What about someone whose hardware supports WPA
    > >w/AES?
    > >
    > >PS: Appreciate all your assistance ... thanks!!
    > >
    > >"Tani" wrote:
    > >
    > >> You may remove KB893357 hotfix if it causes any problem (to be 100% sure
    > >> create a restore point by yourselef before applying it, although windows does
    > >> it automatically).
    > >> You have to install it if you hardware support "simple" WPA. WPA2 mandates
    > >> AES mode of encryption. You may find further information about Microsoft WPA2
    > >> in another post of George in http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=61.

    > --
    > Barb Bowman
    > Expert Zone Columnist
    > MS-MVP (Windows)

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    I tried to install this patch. The install failed.

    [KB893357.log]
    4.827:
    ==============================­==============================­====================

    4.827: 2005/06/08 18:44:50.950 (local)
    4.827: c:\42fbc3f11053957acf3459\upda­te\update.exe (version 6.1.22.4)

    4.827: Hotfix started with following command line:
    6.770: In Function TestVolatileFlag, line 11660, RegOpenKeyEx failed
    with error 0x2
    6.770: In Function TestVolatileFlag, line 11692, RegOpenKeyEx failed
    with error 0x2
    6.770: DoInstallation: CleanPFR failed: 0x2
    6.890: SetProductTypes: InfProductBuildType=BuildType.­IC
    6.890: SetAltOsLoaderPath: No section uses DirId 65701; done.
    7.201: DoInstallation: FetchSourceURL for
    c:\42fbc3f11053957acf3459\upda­te\update_SP2QFE.inf failed
    7.201: LoadFileQueues: UpdSpGetSourceFileLocation for halacpi.dll

    Sent message to MS support to help but haven't received a resolution as
    of yet. This is all documented in my original post, "The KB893357
    patch".
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Yes, the WPA2 patch *should* work with WPA1 hardware.
    However, as with any other patch, there is a risk.
    There always can be a marginal bug lurking in the driver of your WPA "1" netcard, if it is not
    specially tested with this patch.
    So, undertake the usual measures (backup... backup... ) before trying it.

    Good luck,
    --PA

    "JamesP" <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:55CC3E67-AED4-4C8A-90E1-2779934D2EBA@microsoft.com...
    > Am currently using WEP but would like to switch to WPA-PSK ... have read
    > several articles which recommend AES over TKIP. In these articles WPA w/ AES
    > is referred to as WPA2 which is a bit confusing to me ... is WPA1 just the
    > TKIP standard?
    >
    > I checked the specs of my router and wireless adapter, both list support for
    > WPA and AES support but doesn't specifically mention WPA2. Will I only
    > benefit from installing the KB893357 patch if I have WPA2 hardware? Will it
    > cause problems if the patch is applied to non-WPA2 hardware? Can the patch be
    > uninstalled?
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    That's some good advice "(backup... backup... ) before trying it" when
    undertaking any OS patch ... thanks.

    "Pavel A." wrote:

    > Yes, the WPA2 patch *should* work with WPA1 hardware.
    > However, as with any other patch, there is a risk.
    > There always can be a marginal bug lurking in the driver of your WPA "1" netcard, if it is not
    > specially tested with this patch.
    > So, undertake the usual measures (backup... backup... ) before trying it.
    >
    > Good luck,
    > --PA
    >
    > "JamesP" <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:55CC3E67-AED4-4C8A-90E1-2779934D2EBA@microsoft.com...
    > > Am currently using WEP but would like to switch to WPA-PSK ... have read
    > > several articles which recommend AES over TKIP. In these articles WPA w/ AES
    > > is referred to as WPA2 which is a bit confusing to me ... is WPA1 just the
    > > TKIP standard?
    > >
    > > I checked the specs of my router and wireless adapter, both list support for
    > > WPA and AES support but doesn't specifically mention WPA2. Will I only
    > > benefit from installing the KB893357 patch if I have WPA2 hardware? Will it
    > > cause problems if the patch is applied to non-WPA2 hardware? Can the patch be
    > > uninstalled?

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Your router uses the Broadcom chipset just like Linksys, Microsoft and
    Buffalo. It will do TKIP fine, AES might be slow. The NIC depending on
    what hardware rev and firmware is either Broadcom or Ralink (for the
    3000 series I think). The card should do AES with either, but the
    processing power of your router is the key factor. In any case,
    installing the WPA2 patch should not impact your connectivity. I'd
    recommend installing the patch and useing TKIP for starters now (even
    if you don't apply the patch).

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 15:48:03 -0700, JamesP

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    It works here on a huge variety of WPA1 NICs from multiple vendors.

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 22:50:30 +0300, "Pavel A."
    <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote:

    >Yes, the WPA2 patch *should* work with WPA1 hardware.
    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist
    MS-MVP (Windows)
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Thank you for the recommendations, especially the detailed suggestions on
    which encryption mode to use and for including your reasoning. I'll switch to
    WPA immediately and then apply the patch.

    "barb bowman" wrote:

    > Your router uses the Broadcom chipset just like Linksys, Microsoft and
    > Buffalo. It will do TKIP fine, AES might be slow. The NIC depending on
    > what hardware rev and firmware is either Broadcom or Ralink (for the
    > 3000 series I think). The card should do AES with either, but the
    > processing power of your router is the key factor. In any case,
    > installing the WPA2 patch should not impact your connectivity. I'd
    > recommend installing the patch and useing TKIP for starters now (even
    > if you don't apply the patch).
    >
    > On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 15:48:03 -0700, JamesP
    > <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >My hardware is:
    > >Belkin F5D7230-4 router ... manual says supports WPA w/ TKIP or AES
    > >Belkin F5D7010 wireless NIC ... manual says supports WPA w/ TKIP or AES
    > >
    > >"barb bowman" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I've seen no problems with a large variety of original generation
    > >> 802.11g cards and 802.11a cards -
    > >>
    > >> You really should move to at least WPA even if your hardware does not
    > >> support WPA2 because WEP is truly so easy to break.
    > >>
    > >> Could you post a reply here with the exact brand and model hardware
    > >> you are using - you might get advice from someone who has the
    > >> identical equipment and is using it with the WPA2 update.

    > >> --
    > >> Barb Bowman
    > >> Expert Zone Columnist
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >> MS-MVP (Windows)
    > >>
    > --
    > Barb Bowman
    > Expert Zone Columnist
    > MS-MVP (Windows)

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Please come back and post a message to let us know how things work
    out.

    On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:20:02 -0700, JamesP

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    "barb bowman" wrote:

    > Please come back and post a message to let us know how things work
    > out.

    The WPA patch install and switch to WPA went fine ... I had no glitches and
    everything seems to be OK, except for 2 things:
    1) the update (KB893357) is not listed in Add/Remove Programs list ... I was
    led to believe it could be uninstalled so I assumed it would be listed here.
    2) Automatic Updates which appears to have stopped working ...

    Auto Updates had been working fine for months. The only recent change I've
    made to the system was yesterday when I installed the WPA patch, rebooted and
    about a half-hour later was notified (as I had it configured to do) that
    updates were available. Looked over the list of recommended updates and OK'd
    download ... Yellow shield in Notification Area said "downloading 0%" and
    went away.

    I can't see how this could be related to installing the WPA patch but that's
    the only change I've made. Perhaps Auto Updates just "failed" during that
    attempt but since then it has not retried the downloads even after I
    reconfigured it to "full" auto operation ... received no error msgs when
    changing settings, etc. Also, checked "services" list and it's automatically
    starting. Everything seems in order but it ignores the "time" it's set to
    perform the updates.

    Any ideas on these two issues?
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    In add/remove programs, you need to check show updates. Does this
    expose the KB hotfixes.

    Can you open Internet Explorer, Tools menu, Windows Update and do a
    Custom update and download anything that was missed?

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:01:13 -0700, JamesP
    <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >"barb bowman" wrote:
    >
    >> Please come back and post a message to let us know how things work
    >> out.
    >
    >The WPA patch install and switch to WPA went fine ... I had no glitches and
    >everything seems to be OK, except for 2 things:
    >1) the update (KB893357) is not listed in Add/Remove Programs list ... I was
    >led to believe it could be uninstalled so I assumed it would be listed here.
    >2) Automatic Updates which appears to have stopped working ...
    >
    >Auto Updates had been working fine for months. The only recent change I've
    >made to the system was yesterday when I installed the WPA patch, rebooted and
    >about a half-hour later was notified (as I had it configured to do) that
    >updates were available. Looked over the list of recommended updates and OK'd
    >download ... Yellow shield in Notification Area said "downloading 0%" and
    >went away.
    >
    >I can't see how this could be related to installing the WPA patch but that's
    >the only change I've made. Perhaps Auto Updates just "failed" during that
    >attempt but since then it has not retried the downloads even after I
    >reconfigured it to "full" auto operation ... received no error msgs when
    >changing settings, etc. Also, checked "services" list and it's automatically
    >starting. Everything seems in order but it ignores the "time" it's set to
    >perform the updates.
    >
    >Any ideas on these two issues?
    --
    Barb Bowman 124459
    MVP-Windows

    Aha! Missed that little check-box at the top ... WPA patch is listed.

    Yes, I can go to Windows Update site but didn't download anything so I could
    continue monitoring the problem. And as usual in the
    weird-wonderful-world-of-Windows, while reading this and other posts Auto
    Updates sprang back to life and performed the downloads! Still not convinced
    that all is well since it's configured to check at 9am and despite my system
    being on all day it performed the check at 10:30pm !! I guess it's just a
    wait and see now ... any other suggestions?

    "Barb Bowman" wrote:

    > In add/remove programs, you need to check show updates. Does this
    > expose the KB hotfixes.
    >
    > Can you open Internet Explorer, Tools menu, Windows Update and do a
    > Custom update and download anything that was missed?
    >
    > On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:01:13 -0700, JamesP
    > <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >"barb bowman" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Please come back and post a message to let us know how things work
    > >> out.
    > >
    > >The WPA patch install and switch to WPA went fine ... I had no glitches and
    > >everything seems to be OK, except for 2 things:
    > >1) the update (KB893357) is not listed in Add/Remove Programs list ... I was
    > >led to believe it could be uninstalled so I assumed it would be listed here.
    > >2) Automatic Updates which appears to have stopped working ...
    > >
    > >Auto Updates had been working fine for months. The only recent change I've
    > >made to the system was yesterday when I installed the WPA patch, rebooted and
    > >about a half-hour later was notified (as I had it configured to do) that
    > >updates were available. Looked over the list of recommended updates and OK'd
    > >download ... Yellow shield in Notification Area said "downloading 0%" and
    > >went away.
    > >
    > >I can't see how this could be related to installing the WPA patch but that's
    > >the only change I've made. Perhaps Auto Updates just "failed" during that
    > >attempt but since then it has not retried the downloads even after I
    > >reconfigured it to "full" auto operation ... received no error msgs when
    > >changing settings, etc. Also, checked "services" list and it's automatically
    > >starting. Everything seems in order but it ignores the "time" it's set to
    > >perform the updates.
    > >
    > >Any ideas on these two issues?
    > --
    > Barb Bowman 124459
    > MVP-Windows
    > barbbowman n o s p a m AT comcast..net

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    I have two systems that seem to get delayed checks. But they do get
    the auto downloads. Could be the MS servers are busy or the local
    computer is busy...

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 08:37:05 -0700, JamesP
    <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Still not convinced
    >that all is well since it's configured to check at 9am and despite my system
    >being on all day it performed the check at 10:30pm !! I guess it's just a
    >wait and see now ... any other suggestions?
    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Expert Zone Columnist
    http://www.mcemvp.us/bbowman/
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Thanks for the input ... I had Auto Updates configured to "notify only" but
    for the time being I'll leave it on "full auto" and just keep an eye on it.
    Thanks again, I really appreciate all the assistance you've given me!

    "Barb Bowman MVP-Windows" wrote:

    > I have two systems that seem to get delayed checks. But they do get
    > the auto downloads. Could be the MS servers are busy or the local
    > computer is busy...
    >
    > On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 08:37:05 -0700, JamesP
    > <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Still not convinced
    > >that all is well since it's configured to check at 9am and despite my system
    > >being on all day it performed the check at 10:30pm !! I guess it's just a
    > >wait and see now ... any other suggestions?
    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP
    > Expert Zone Columnist
    > http://www.mcemvp.us/bbowman/

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Barb:
    One more question about WPA.... If I configure my router for WPA-PSK w/ AES
    then my friend whose laptop supports TKIP (but not AES) won't be able to
    connect to my router, correct?

    "Barb Bowman MVP-Windows" wrote:

    > I have two systems that seem to get delayed checks. But they do get
    > the auto downloads. Could be the MS servers are busy or the local
    > computer is busy...
    >
    > On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 08:37:05 -0700, JamesP
    > <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Still not convinced
    > >that all is well since it's configured to check at 9am and despite my system
    > >being on all day it performed the check at 10:30pm !! I guess it's just a
    > >wait and see now ... any other suggestions?
    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP
    > Expert Zone Columnist
    > http://www.mcemvp.us/bbowman/

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Yes Very likely he would not be able to connect.

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:56:04 -0700, JamesP

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    "Barb Bowman MVP-Windows" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Yes Very likely he would not be able to connect.
    >
    > On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:56:04 -0700, JamesP
    > <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Barb:
    >>One more question about WPA.... If I configure my router for WPA-PSK w/
    >>AES
    >>then my friend whose laptop supports TKIP (but not AES) won't be able to
    >>connect to my router, correct?

    That is not how WPA-PSK works, or put another way any AP that did what you
    just wrote would not pass WiFi interoperability testing. The AP and the STA
    (in this case the laptop) send information elements to each other stating
    what level of encryption that they support and they agree on the highest
    level of security that they both support, in this case that would be TKIP.
    By the way, AES is not tested for interoperability in WPA; just in WPA2.
    Phil Doragh
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    The implementations in most WPA (versus WPA2) residential routers
    seems to be that the AES setting is exclusive and AES only. I've also
    suspected that only the TKIP setting is tested even if an AES setting
    is present on the device.

    On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 10:12:55 GMT, "Philip Doragh"
    <someone@microsoft.com> wrote:

    >That is not how WPA-PSK works, or put another way any AP that did what you
    >just wrote would not pass WiFi interoperability testing. The AP and the STA
    >(in this case the laptop) send information elements to each other stating
    >what level of encryption that they support and they agree on the highest
    >level of security that they both support, in this case that would be TKIP.
    >By the way, AES is not tested for interoperability in WPA; just in WPA2.
    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Expert Zone Columnist