WPA2 & patch for SP2

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
June 10, 2005 2:01:02 AM

Am currently using WEP but would like to switch to WPA-PSK ... have read
several articles which recommend AES over TKIP. In these articles WPA w/ AES
is referred to as WPA2 which is a bit confusing to me ... is WPA1 just the
TKIP standard?

I checked the specs of my router and wireless adapter, both list support for
WPA and AES support but doesn't specifically mention WPA2. Will I only
benefit from installing the KB893357 patch if I have WPA2 hardware? Will it
cause problems if the patch is applied to non-WPA2 hardware? Can the patch be
uninstalled?

More about : wpa2 patch sp2

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 9:34:05 AM

You can find the answer to George Ou's blog "http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=67"
where he explains WPA and WPA2. I am sure you will find that article very
helpful.

"JamesP" wrote:

> Am currently using WEP but would like to switch to WPA-PSK ... have read
> several articles which recommend AES over TKIP. In these articles WPA w/ AES
> is referred to as WPA2 which is a bit confusing to me ... is WPA1 just the
> TKIP standard?
>
> I checked the specs of my router and wireless adapter, both list support for
> WPA and AES support but doesn't specifically mention WPA2. Will I only
> benefit from installing the KB893357 patch if I have WPA2 hardware? Will it
> cause problems if the patch is applied to non-WPA2 hardware? Can the patch be
> uninstalled?
June 10, 2005 11:25:05 AM

Thanks for the blog link, it helped clarify the "standards" issue. I still
need clarification on the MS patch (should I install it, can it cause
problems and can it be uninstalled if needed?)

"Tani" wrote:

> You can find the answer to George Ou's blog "http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=67"
> where he explains WPA and WPA2. I am sure you will find that article very
> helpful.
>
> "JamesP" wrote:
>
> > Am currently using WEP but would like to switch to WPA-PSK ... have read
> > several articles which recommend AES over TKIP. In these articles WPA w/ AES
> > is referred to as WPA2 which is a bit confusing to me ... is WPA1 just the
> > TKIP standard?
> >
> > I checked the specs of my router and wireless adapter, both list support for
> > WPA and AES support but doesn't specifically mention WPA2. Will I only
> > benefit from installing the KB893357 patch if I have WPA2 hardware? Will it
> > cause problems if the patch is applied to non-WPA2 hardware? Can the patch be
> > uninstalled?
June 10, 2005 12:05:03 PM

You may remove KB893357 hotfix if it causes any problem (to be 100% sure
create a restore point by yourselef before applying it, although windows does
it automatically).
You have to install it if you hardware support "simple" WPA. WPA2 mandates
AES mode of encryption. You may find further information about Microsoft WPA2
in another post of George in http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=61.

"JamesP" wrote:

> Thanks for the blog link, it helped clarify the "standards" issue. I still
> need clarification on the MS patch (should I install it, can it cause
> problems and can it be uninstalled if needed?)
>
> "Tani" wrote:
>
> > You can find the answer to George Ou's blog "http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=67"
> > where he explains WPA and WPA2. I am sure you will find that article very
> > helpful.
> >
> > "JamesP" wrote:
> >
> > > Am currently using WEP but would like to switch to WPA-PSK ... have read
> > > several articles which recommend AES over TKIP. In these articles WPA w/ AES
> > > is referred to as WPA2 which is a bit confusing to me ... is WPA1 just the
> > > TKIP standard?
> > >
> > > I checked the specs of my router and wireless adapter, both list support for
> > > WPA and AES support but doesn't specifically mention WPA2. Will I only
> > > benefit from installing the KB893357 patch if I have WPA2 hardware? Will it
> > > cause problems if the patch is applied to non-WPA2 hardware? Can the patch be
> > > uninstalled?
June 10, 2005 12:43:29 PM

Tani:
I'm confused by something you said in your last response, "You have to
install it if you hardware support "simple" WPA. WPA2 mandates AES mode of
encryption." It seems like you're saying that everyone who has WPA hardware
"should" install this patch? What about someone whose hardware supports WPA
w/AES?

PS: Appreciate all your assistance ... thanks!!

"Tani" wrote:

> You may remove KB893357 hotfix if it causes any problem (to be 100% sure
> create a restore point by yourselef before applying it, although windows does
> it automatically).
> You have to install it if you hardware support "simple" WPA. WPA2 mandates
> AES mode of encryption. You may find further information about Microsoft WPA2
> in another post of George in http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=61.
>
> "JamesP" wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the blog link, it helped clarify the "standards" issue. I still
> > need clarification on the MS patch (should I install it, can it cause
> > problems and can it be uninstalled if needed?)
> >
> > "Tani" wrote:
> >
> > > You can find the answer to George Ou's blog "http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=67"
> > > where he explains WPA and WPA2. I am sure you will find that article very
> > > helpful.

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 6:29:22 PM

I've seen no problems with a large variety of original generation
802.11g cards and 802.11a cards -

You really should move to at least WPA even if your hardware does not
support WPA2 because WEP is truly so easy to break.

Could you post a reply here with the exact brand and model hardware
you are using - you might get advice from someone who has the
identical equipment and is using it with the WPA2 update.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

My hardware is:
Belkin F5D7230-4 router ... manual says supports WPA w/ TKIP or AES
Belkin F5D7010 wireless NIC ... manual says supports WPA w/ TKIP or AES

"barb bowman" wrote:

> I've seen no problems with a large variety of original generation
> 802.11g cards and 802.11a cards -
>
> You really should move to at least WPA even if your hardware does not
> support WPA2 because WEP is truly so easy to break.
>
> Could you post a reply here with the exact brand and model hardware
> you are using - you might get advice from someone who has the
> identical equipment and is using it with the WPA2 update.
>
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 08:43:29 -0700, JamesP
> <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Tani:
> >I'm confused by something you said in your last response, "You have to
> >install it if you hardware support "simple" WPA. WPA2 mandates AES mode of
> >encryption." It seems like you're saying that everyone who has WPA hardware
> >"should" install this patch? What about someone whose hardware supports WPA
> >w/AES?
> >
> >PS: Appreciate all your assistance ... thanks!!
> >
> >"Tani" wrote:
> >
> >> You may remove KB893357 hotfix if it causes any problem (to be 100% sure
> >> create a restore point by yourselef before applying it, although windows does
> >> it automatically).
> >> You have to install it if you hardware support "simple" WPA. WPA2 mandates
> >> AES mode of encryption. You may find further information about Microsoft WPA2
> >> in another post of George in http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=61.

> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> MS-MVP (Windows)

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 1:03:15 AM

I tried to install this patch. The install failed.

[KB893357.log]
4.827:
==============================­==============================­====================

4.827: 2005/06/08 18:44:50.950 (local)
4.827: c:\42fbc3f11053957acf3459\upda­te\update.exe (version 6.1.22.4)

4.827: Hotfix started with following command line:
6.770: In Function TestVolatileFlag, line 11660, RegOpenKeyEx failed
with error 0x2
6.770: In Function TestVolatileFlag, line 11692, RegOpenKeyEx failed
with error 0x2
6.770: DoInstallation: CleanPFR failed: 0x2
6.890: SetProductTypes: InfProductBuildType=BuildType.­IC
6.890: SetAltOsLoaderPath: No section uses DirId 65701; done.
7.201: DoInstallation: FetchSourceURL for
c:\42fbc3f11053957acf3459\upda­te\update_SP2QFE.inf failed
7.201: LoadFileQueues: UpdSpGetSourceFileLocation for halacpi.dll

Sent message to MS support to help but haven't received a resolution as
of yet. This is all documented in my original post, "The KB893357
patch".
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 2:50:30 AM

Yes, the WPA2 patch *should* work with WPA1 hardware.
However, as with any other patch, there is a risk.
There always can be a marginal bug lurking in the driver of your WPA "1" netcard, if it is not
specially tested with this patch.
So, undertake the usual measures (backup... backup... ) before trying it.

Good luck,
--PA

"JamesP" <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:55CC3E67-AED4-4C8A-90E1-2779934D2EBA@microsoft.com...
> Am currently using WEP but would like to switch to WPA-PSK ... have read
> several articles which recommend AES over TKIP. In these articles WPA w/ AES
> is referred to as WPA2 which is a bit confusing to me ... is WPA1 just the
> TKIP standard?
>
> I checked the specs of my router and wireless adapter, both list support for
> WPA and AES support but doesn't specifically mention WPA2. Will I only
> benefit from installing the KB893357 patch if I have WPA2 hardware? Will it
> cause problems if the patch is applied to non-WPA2 hardware? Can the patch be
> uninstalled?
June 11, 2005 2:50:31 AM

That's some good advice "(backup... backup... ) before trying it" when
undertaking any OS patch ... thanks.

"Pavel A." wrote:

> Yes, the WPA2 patch *should* work with WPA1 hardware.
> However, as with any other patch, there is a risk.
> There always can be a marginal bug lurking in the driver of your WPA "1" netcard, if it is not
> specially tested with this patch.
> So, undertake the usual measures (backup... backup... ) before trying it.
>
> Good luck,
> --PA
>
> "JamesP" <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:55CC3E67-AED4-4C8A-90E1-2779934D2EBA@microsoft.com...
> > Am currently using WEP but would like to switch to WPA-PSK ... have read
> > several articles which recommend AES over TKIP. In these articles WPA w/ AES
> > is referred to as WPA2 which is a bit confusing to me ... is WPA1 just the
> > TKIP standard?
> >
> > I checked the specs of my router and wireless adapter, both list support for
> > WPA and AES support but doesn't specifically mention WPA2. Will I only
> > benefit from installing the KB893357 patch if I have WPA2 hardware? Will it
> > cause problems if the patch is applied to non-WPA2 hardware? Can the patch be
> > uninstalled?

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 11:00:10 AM

Your router uses the Broadcom chipset just like Linksys, Microsoft and
Buffalo. It will do TKIP fine, AES might be slow. The NIC depending on
what hardware rev and firmware is either Broadcom or Ralink (for the
3000 series I think). The card should do AES with either, but the
processing power of your router is the key factor. In any case,
installing the WPA2 patch should not impact your connectivity. I'd
recommend installing the patch and useing TKIP for starters now (even
if you don't apply the patch).

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 15:48:03 -0700, JamesP

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

It works here on a huge variety of WPA1 NICs from multiple vendors.

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 22:50:30 +0300, "Pavel A."
<pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote:

>Yes, the WPA2 patch *should* work with WPA1 hardware.
--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist
MS-MVP (Windows)
June 11, 2005 6:20:02 PM

Thank you for the recommendations, especially the detailed suggestions on
which encryption mode to use and for including your reasoning. I'll switch to
WPA immediately and then apply the patch.

"barb bowman" wrote:

> Your router uses the Broadcom chipset just like Linksys, Microsoft and
> Buffalo. It will do TKIP fine, AES might be slow. The NIC depending on
> what hardware rev and firmware is either Broadcom or Ralink (for the
> 3000 series I think). The card should do AES with either, but the
> processing power of your router is the key factor. In any case,
> installing the WPA2 patch should not impact your connectivity. I'd
> recommend installing the patch and useing TKIP for starters now (even
> if you don't apply the patch).
>
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 15:48:03 -0700, JamesP
> <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >My hardware is:
> >Belkin F5D7230-4 router ... manual says supports WPA w/ TKIP or AES
> >Belkin F5D7010 wireless NIC ... manual says supports WPA w/ TKIP or AES
> >
> >"barb bowman" wrote:
> >
> >> I've seen no problems with a large variety of original generation
> >> 802.11g cards and 802.11a cards -
> >>
> >> You really should move to at least WPA even if your hardware does not
> >> support WPA2 because WEP is truly so easy to break.
> >>
> >> Could you post a reply here with the exact brand and model hardware
> >> you are using - you might get advice from someone who has the
> >> identical equipment and is using it with the WPA2 update.

> >> --
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> Expert Zone Columnist
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> MS-MVP (Windows)
> >>
> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> MS-MVP (Windows)

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 11:22:00 PM

Please come back and post a message to let us know how things work
out.

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:20:02 -0700, JamesP

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

"barb bowman" wrote:

> Please come back and post a message to let us know how things work
> out.

The WPA patch install and switch to WPA went fine ... I had no glitches and
everything seems to be OK, except for 2 things:
1) the update (KB893357) is not listed in Add/Remove Programs list ... I was
led to believe it could be uninstalled so I assumed it would be listed here.
2) Automatic Updates which appears to have stopped working ...

Auto Updates had been working fine for months. The only recent change I've
made to the system was yesterday when I installed the WPA patch, rebooted and
about a half-hour later was notified (as I had it configured to do) that
updates were available. Looked over the list of recommended updates and OK'd
download ... Yellow shield in Notification Area said "downloading 0%" and
went away.

I can't see how this could be related to installing the WPA patch but that's
the only change I've made. Perhaps Auto Updates just "failed" during that
attempt but since then it has not retried the downloads even after I
reconfigured it to "full" auto operation ... received no error msgs when
changing settings, etc. Also, checked "services" list and it's automatically
starting. Everything seems in order but it ignores the "time" it's set to
perform the updates.

Any ideas on these two issues?
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 8:52:12 PM

In add/remove programs, you need to check show updates. Does this
expose the KB hotfixes.

Can you open Internet Explorer, Tools menu, Windows Update and do a
Custom update and download anything that was missed?

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:01:13 -0700, JamesP
<JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"barb bowman" wrote:
>
>> Please come back and post a message to let us know how things work
>> out.
>
>The WPA patch install and switch to WPA went fine ... I had no glitches and
>everything seems to be OK, except for 2 things:
>1) the update (KB893357) is not listed in Add/Remove Programs list ... I was
>led to believe it could be uninstalled so I assumed it would be listed here.
>2) Automatic Updates which appears to have stopped working ...
>
>Auto Updates had been working fine for months. The only recent change I've
>made to the system was yesterday when I installed the WPA patch, rebooted and
>about a half-hour later was notified (as I had it configured to do) that
>updates were available. Looked over the list of recommended updates and OK'd
>download ... Yellow shield in Notification Area said "downloading 0%" and
>went away.
>
>I can't see how this could be related to installing the WPA patch but that's
>the only change I've made. Perhaps Auto Updates just "failed" during that
>attempt but since then it has not retried the downloads even after I
>reconfigured it to "full" auto operation ... received no error msgs when
>changing settings, etc. Also, checked "services" list and it's automatically
>starting. Everything seems in order but it ignores the "time" it's set to
>perform the updates.
>
>Any ideas on these two issues?
--
Barb Bowman 124459
MVP-Windows

Aha! Missed that little check-box at the top ... WPA patch is listed.

Yes, I can go to Windows Update site but didn't download anything so I could
continue monitoring the problem. And as usual in the
weird-wonderful-world-of-Windows, while reading this and other posts Auto
Updates sprang back to life and performed the downloads! Still not convinced
that all is well since it's configured to check at 9am and despite my system
being on all day it performed the check at 10:30pm !! I guess it's just a
wait and see now ... any other suggestions?

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> In add/remove programs, you need to check show updates. Does this
> expose the KB hotfixes.
>
> Can you open Internet Explorer, Tools menu, Windows Update and do a
> Custom update and download anything that was missed?
>
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:01:13 -0700, JamesP
> <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >"barb bowman" wrote:
> >
> >> Please come back and post a message to let us know how things work
> >> out.
> >
> >The WPA patch install and switch to WPA went fine ... I had no glitches and
> >everything seems to be OK, except for 2 things:
> >1) the update (KB893357) is not listed in Add/Remove Programs list ... I was
> >led to believe it could be uninstalled so I assumed it would be listed here.
> >2) Automatic Updates which appears to have stopped working ...
> >
> >Auto Updates had been working fine for months. The only recent change I've
> >made to the system was yesterday when I installed the WPA patch, rebooted and
> >about a half-hour later was notified (as I had it configured to do) that
> >updates were available. Looked over the list of recommended updates and OK'd
> >download ... Yellow shield in Notification Area said "downloading 0%" and
> >went away.
> >
> >I can't see how this could be related to installing the WPA patch but that's
> >the only change I've made. Perhaps Auto Updates just "failed" during that
> >attempt but since then it has not retried the downloads even after I
> >reconfigured it to "full" auto operation ... received no error msgs when
> >changing settings, etc. Also, checked "services" list and it's automatically
> >starting. Everything seems in order but it ignores the "time" it's set to
> >perform the updates.
> >
> >Any ideas on these two issues?
> --
> Barb Bowman 124459
> MVP-Windows
> barbbowman n o s p a m AT comcast..net

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 4:06:47 PM

I have two systems that seem to get delayed checks. But they do get
the auto downloads. Could be the MS servers are busy or the local
computer is busy...

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 08:37:05 -0700, JamesP
<JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Still not convinced
>that all is well since it's configured to check at 9am and despite my system
>being on all day it performed the check at 10:30pm !! I guess it's just a
>wait and see now ... any other suggestions?
--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Expert Zone Columnist
http://www.mcemvp.us/bbowman/
June 16, 2005 8:43:01 PM

Thanks for the input ... I had Auto Updates configured to "notify only" but
for the time being I'll leave it on "full auto" and just keep an eye on it.
Thanks again, I really appreciate all the assistance you've given me!

"Barb Bowman MVP-Windows" wrote:

> I have two systems that seem to get delayed checks. But they do get
> the auto downloads. Could be the MS servers are busy or the local
> computer is busy...
>
> On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 08:37:05 -0700, JamesP
> <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Still not convinced
> >that all is well since it's configured to check at 9am and despite my system
> >being on all day it performed the check at 10:30pm !! I guess it's just a
> >wait and see now ... any other suggestions?
> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP
> Expert Zone Columnist
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> http://www.mcemvp.us/bbowman/

June 20, 2005 7:56:04 PM

Barb:
One more question about WPA.... If I configure my router for WPA-PSK w/ AES
then my friend whose laptop supports TKIP (but not AES) won't be able to
connect to my router, correct?

"Barb Bowman MVP-Windows" wrote:

> I have two systems that seem to get delayed checks. But they do get
> the auto downloads. Could be the MS servers are busy or the local
> computer is busy...
>
> On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 08:37:05 -0700, JamesP
> <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Still not convinced
> >that all is well since it's configured to check at 9am and despite my system
> >being on all day it performed the check at 10:30pm !! I guess it's just a
> >wait and see now ... any other suggestions?
> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP
> Expert Zone Columnist
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> http://www.mcemvp.us/bbowman/

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 9:33:10 AM

Yes Very likely he would not be able to connect.

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:56:04 -0700, JamesP

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

"Barb Bowman MVP-Windows" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Yes Very likely he would not be able to connect.
>
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:56:04 -0700, JamesP
> <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Barb:
>>One more question about WPA.... If I configure my router for WPA-PSK w/
>>AES
>>then my friend whose laptop supports TKIP (but not AES) won't be able to
>>connect to my router, correct?

That is not how WPA-PSK works, or put another way any AP that did what you
just wrote would not pass WiFi interoperability testing. The AP and the STA
(in this case the laptop) send information elements to each other stating
what level of encryption that they support and they agree on the highest
level of security that they both support, in this case that would be TKIP.
By the way, AES is not tested for interoperability in WPA; just in WPA2.
Phil Doragh
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 2:12:56 PM

The implementations in most WPA (versus WPA2) residential routers
seems to be that the AES setting is exclusive and AES only. I've also
suspected that only the TKIP setting is tested even if an AES setting
is present on the device.

!