Lexmark X83 reinstall problem

bill

I had to reinstall XP the other day. Ok. Then I try to install the
printer software for my Lexmark X83. There is a pont in the
installation where the installation stops and says to insert the usb
cable to continue and an hourglass appears while it waits for you to
connect the cable. When I insert the cable, I noticed that the hour
glass and the installation window alternate "emphasis" if you like.
That is to say, the hourglass appears, the disappears while the color
on the bar at the top of the installation messae window become blue,
the the top bar fades and the hourglass shows, then the bar colors,
the the hour glass shows. Each alternation takes perhaps a
half-second.

I know a connection is being made because, if if disconnect the cable,
the alternation ceases and the hourglass is steady.

At any rate, the installation is stopped and won't go further.

If I disconnect the usb cable I can close the message window and the
dirivers will install, but I won't have a connection from the printer
to the computer.

I thought at first that my macafee virus program was preventing the
installation from completing, but I disenabled the virus scan and it
didn't seem to make a difference.

Any thoughts you may have are welcome.

Thanks, Bill

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:34:24 -0400, bill <billk_york@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I had to reinstall XP the other day. Ok. Then I try to install the
>printer software for my Lexmark X83. There is a pont in the
>installation where the installation stops and says to insert the usb
>cable to continue and an hourglass appears while it waits for you to
>connect the cable. When I insert the cable, I noticed that the hour
>glass and the installation window alternate "emphasis" if you like.
>That is to say, the hourglass appears, the disappears while the color
>on the bar at the top of the installation messae window become blue,
>the the top bar fades and the hourglass shows, then the bar colors,
>the the hour glass shows. Each alternation takes perhaps a
>half-second.
>
>I know a connection is being made because, if if disconnect the cable,
>the alternation ceases and the hourglass is steady.
>
>At any rate, the installation is stopped and won't go further.
>
>If I disconnect the usb cable I can close the message window and the
>dirivers will install, but I won't have a connection from the printer
>to the computer.
>

>I thought at first that my macafee virus program was preventing the
>installation from completing, but I disenabled the virus scan and it
>didn't seem to make a difference.
>
>Any thoughts you may have are welcome.

It's only a thought but I find that I have to disconnect the power and
then reconnect it before my XP sees the existence of my X73. I just
pull the plug out.

It may be that you need to try that instead of / as well as
disconnecting the USB cable.

hth

--
TonyL