Raid 0 Offline!!!

I have a problem with two hd Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 160gb ata/133 in raid
0 configuration.
I have an Asus P4C800-E De luxe motherboard with the Promise PDC20378
controller.
All is gone ok for six months then, last evening at the boot I had a message
that told me that one of the two disks was off line.
There is anybody can help me!!!!

Geronimo
1 answer Last reply
More about raid offline

    > I have a problem with two hd Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 160gb ata/133
    > in raid 0 configuration. I have an Asus P4C800-E De luxe motherboard
    > with the Promise PDC20378 controller.

    So onboard s/w RAID - boot code in the BIOS.

    > All is gone ok for six months then, last evening at the boot I had a
    > message that told me that one of the two disks was off line.

    RAID-0 means Striping - there is no mirroring or redundancy.

    o You need to identify if the disk has failed
    ---- verify *cables are connected ok* -- especially if SATA
    ---- verify if the BIOS can detect the drive
    ---- verify if any RAID config is stored in the BIOS (& changed)
    ---- verify if a manufacturers diagnostic app will work

    o If a drive has failed, the data is non-recoverable
    ---- data-recovery firms can recover data from RAIDs
    ---- however RAID-0 is striping, and things get pricey
    ---- cheapest -- drive controller board failure
    ---- expensive -- head detached from the arm, motor failure

    So it comes down to "do you have a backup"?

    With 2 drives you have a greater chance of drive failure than 1 drive.
    With RAID-0 there is more chance of failure than with 1 drive, and if
    either drive fails you lose all data from the array - it is called RAID 0.

    RAID-0 usage requires both:
    1) Data *recreatable verbatim from another source*
    2) Speed is of utmost importance re application or money

    In a RAID-0 environment, watch drive temps - emphasis should be
    given to keeping HDs cool as temperature does affect their longevity.
    One reason why servers run noisy & get stuck in machine rooms :-)

    Check the easiest first - cables (power & data) are easy to knock off
    with SATA drives, then the manufacturers diagnostic diskette. The
    diagnostic apps have non-destructive tests, as well as telling you in
    the first instance whether the drive is basically alive or not.
    --
    Dorothy Bradbury
    www.dorothybradbury.co.uk for quiet Panaflo fans

Homebuilt NAS / RAID Systems