HELP : Connecting Hard Drives (non RAID)

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Hi there, can someone help please ?

The System
~~~~~~~~
I have an Asus P5DDC-V Deluxe motherboard for a Pentium 4 Socket 755.

I am going to use a 120GB Western Digital EIDE (ATA100) as the
Master (C Drive ) and a Western Digital EIDE 80GB as the Slave (D
Drive).
The D drive is the only component I am moving from my old computer and
does have information on it.
The Master is brand new and I will copy the information from my old
computer's Master (a WD 60GB) onto this new one with the great WD
program to do this. I will then do an upgrade by Installing Window XP
Pro (the old system used ME) beofre proceeding.

The Problem !
~~~~~~~~~
It is over 6 years since I built a computer and now boards seem to
have this "RAID" thing, which to be honest, I am not bothered about
and I doubt if the 2 hard drives I have support this.
On my Motherboard there are 3 connections :-

Primary IDE Connector
This says its for Ultra DMA 100/66 signal cable.

Then TWO Ultra ATA 133/100/66 RAID Connectors marked up as Primary
RAID and Secondary RAID

On my old syestem I just had a Primary and Secondary ATA connector.
On the Primary I had the Hard Drives (Master/Slave)
On the Secondary I had a CD-RW and a DVD-RW (once again as
Master/Slave.)

What I would like to know is how do I connect these FOUR devices (2
Hard drives and DVD-RW & CD-RW) on the new system ?

Do I still put the hard drives on the Primary or do I connect the RW's
on there ?
Where do I connect the other 2 drives too on the RAID connects ?
Primary I assume ?
Help please, I am SO confused !

Steve

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

In the bios, set the 133 controller as non raid and in the boot order, make
sure the hard drive you're using for the operating system is the only one
listed
"Steve" <steve@parity.demon.removethis.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi there, can someone help please ?
>
> The System
> ~~~~~~~~
> I have an Asus P5DDC-V Deluxe motherboard for a Pentium 4 Socket 755.
>
> I am going to use a 120GB Western Digital EIDE (ATA100) as the
> Master (C Drive ) and a Western Digital EIDE 80GB as the Slave (D
> Drive).
> The D drive is the only component I am moving from my old computer and
> does have information on it.
> The Master is brand new and I will copy the information from my old
> computer's Master (a WD 60GB) onto this new one with the great WD
> program to do this. I will then do an upgrade by Installing Window XP
> Pro (the old system used ME) beofre proceeding.
>
> The Problem !
> ~~~~~~~~~
> It is over 6 years since I built a computer and now boards seem to
> have this "RAID" thing, which to be honest, I am not bothered about
> and I doubt if the 2 hard drives I have support this.
> On my Motherboard there are 3 connections :-
>
> Primary IDE Connector
> This says its for Ultra DMA 100/66 signal cable.
>
> Then TWO Ultra ATA 133/100/66 RAID Connectors marked up as Primary
> RAID and Secondary RAID
>
> On my old syestem I just had a Primary and Secondary ATA connector.
> On the Primary I had the Hard Drives (Master/Slave)
> On the Secondary I had a CD-RW and a DVD-RW (once again as
> Master/Slave.)
>
> What I would like to know is how do I connect these FOUR devices (2
> Hard drives and DVD-RW & CD-RW) on the new system ?
>
> Do I still put the hard drives on the Primary or do I connect the RW's
> on there ?
> Where do I connect the other 2 drives too on the RAID connects ?
> Primary I assume ?
> Help please, I am SO confused !
>
> Steve

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Read the manual??

(What's that motherboard, I couldn't find it)
If it is the P5GDC-V, theb on page 2-30 it says about PRI_RAID1 [red],
SEC_RAID1 [red]
"These connectors are for Ultra ATA 133/100/66 signal cables. These
connectors support up to four IDE hard drives that can be configured as a
disk array through the onboard IDE RAID controller.

These connectors are set to IDE mode by default. In IDE mode, you can
connect IDE devices to these connectors such as boot/data hard drives or
optical drives. If you intend to crate an IDE RAID set using these
connectors, see the ITE8212F controller item.....

If so, I'd connect the opticals to the PRI_IDE connector and the HDs to the
PRI_RAID1

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Steve" <steve@parity.demon.removethis.co.uk> kirjoitti viestissä
> Hi there, can someone help please ?
>
> The System
> ~~~~~~~~
> I have an Asus P5DDC-V Deluxe motherboard for a Pentium 4 Socket 755.
>
> I am going to use a 120GB Western Digital EIDE (ATA100) as the
> Master (C Drive ) and a Western Digital EIDE 80GB as the Slave (D
> Drive).
> The D drive is the only component I am moving from my old computer and
> does have information on it.
> The Master is brand new and I will copy the information from my old
> computer's Master (a WD 60GB) onto this new one with the great WD
> program to do this. I will then do an upgrade by Installing Window XP
> Pro (the old system used ME) beofre proceeding.
>
> The Problem !
> ~~~~~~~~~
> It is over 6 years since I built a computer and now boards seem to
> have this "RAID" thing, which to be honest, I am not bothered about
> and I doubt if the 2 hard drives I have support this.
> On my Motherboard there are 3 connections :-
>
> Primary IDE Connector
> This says its for Ultra DMA 100/66 signal cable.
>
> Then TWO Ultra ATA 133/100/66 RAID Connectors marked up as Primary
> RAID and Secondary RAID
>
> On my old syestem I just had a Primary and Secondary ATA connector.
> On the Primary I had the Hard Drives (Master/Slave)
> On the Secondary I had a CD-RW and a DVD-RW (once again as
> Master/Slave.)
>
> What I would like to know is how do I connect these FOUR devices (2
> Hard drives and DVD-RW & CD-RW) on the new system ?
>
> Do I still put the hard drives on the Primary or do I connect the RW's
> on there ?
> Where do I connect the other 2 drives too on the RAID connects ?
> Primary I assume ?
> Help please, I am SO confused !
>
> Steve

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Hi there Thomas,

Firstly, I apologise, the model is the Asus P5GDC-V ... typo :-(

I did read the manual, but like all manuals it assume some knowledge,
which I'm afraid i don't have, hence the post to the newsgroup .. and
your kind reply !

Right I am 80% of the way there but can I have a little more
clarification please ?

I now understand that the CD-RW and DVD-RW should go in the Primary
IDE cable... no problem there.

You are then saying that I should put BOTH the Western Digital Hard
Drives (120GB Master and 80GB Slave) on the PRI_RAID1 .. no problems
with that either. (Master on end of cable as per normal I assume ?)

The next bit I am confused about .. do I HAVE to use then in RAID
configuration ? I thought here was a problem if they weren't both the
same size ?
Sorry about this, but I am a 100% novice about RAID.. I didn't know it
even existed until 3 days ago when the motherboard arrived !
So please humour me a little bit on this !
I have read the manual, but it might as well be written in 'Martian'
as far as I'm concerned :), as I don't have the basic knowledge to
intrepet it ... Over to you !

Many Thanks,

Steve

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 11:38:20 +0300, "Thomas Wendell"
<tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Read the manual??
>
>(What's that motherboard, I couldn't find it)
>If it is the P5GDC-V, theb on page 2-30 it says about PRI_RAID1 [red],
>SEC_RAID1 [red]
>"These connectors are for Ultra ATA 133/100/66 signal cables. These
>connectors support up to four IDE hard drives that can be configured as a
>disk array through the onboard IDE RAID controller.
>
>These connectors are set to IDE mode by default. In IDE mode, you can
>connect IDE devices to these connectors such as boot/data hard drives or
>optical drives. If you intend to crate an IDE RAID set using these
>connectors, see the ITE8212F controller item.....
>

>If so, I'd connect the opticals to the PRI_IDE connector and the HDs to the
>PRI_RAID1

As the manual states, PRI_RAID1 is in IDE , not RAID, mode as default:
>These connectors are set to IDE mode by default. In IDE mode, you can
>connect IDE devices to these connectors such as boot/data hard drives or
>optical drives.

So just connect the drives there, see that they're seen in BIOS, check start
order in BIOS and you should be set to go

--

> Hi there Thomas,
>
> Firstly, I apologise, the model is the Asus P5GDC-V ... typo :-(
>
> I did read the manual, but like all manuals it assume some knowledge,
> which I'm afraid i don't have, hence the post to the newsgroup .. and
> your kind reply !
>
> Right I am 80% of the way there but can I have a little more
> clarification please ?
>
> I now understand that the CD-RW and DVD-RW should go in the Primary
> IDE cable... no problem there.
>
> You are then saying that I should put BOTH the Western Digital Hard
> Drives (120GB Master and 80GB Slave) on the PRI_RAID1 .. no problems
> with that either. (Master on end of cable as per normal I assume ?)
>
> The next bit I am confused about .. do I HAVE to use then in RAID
> configuration ? I thought here was a problem if they weren't both the
> same size ?
> Sorry about this, but I am a 100% novice about RAID.. I didn't know it
> even existed until 3 days ago when the motherboard arrived !
> So please humour me a little bit on this !
> I have read the manual, but it might as well be written in 'Martian'
> as far as I'm concerned :), as I don't have the basic knowledge to
> intrepet it ... Over to you !
>
> Many Thanks,
>
> Steve
>
> On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 11:38:20 +0300, "Thomas Wendell"
> <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Read the manual??
> >
> >(What's that motherboard, I couldn't find it)
> >If it is the P5GDC-V, theb on page 2-30 it says about PRI_RAID1 [red],
> >SEC_RAID1 [red]
> >"These connectors are for Ultra ATA 133/100/66 signal cables. These
> >connectors support up to four IDE hard drives that can be configured as a
> >disk array through the onboard IDE RAID controller.
> >
> >These connectors are set to IDE mode by default. In IDE mode, you can
> >connect IDE devices to these connectors such as boot/data hard drives or
> >optical drives. If you intend to crate an IDE RAID set using these
> >connectors, see the ITE8212F controller item.....
> >

> >If so, I'd connect the opticals to the PRI_IDE connector and the HDs to
the
> >PRI_RAID1

Sorry, forgot: No, you don't have to setup RAID. That is later in the manual
in the ITE8212 section

--
Tumppi
Reply to group
Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)

"Steve" <steve@parity.demon.removethis.co.uk> kirjoitti viestissä
> Hi there Thomas,
>
> Firstly, I apologise, the model is the Asus P5GDC-V ... typo :-(
>
> I did read the manual, but like all manuals it assume some knowledge,
> which I'm afraid i don't have, hence the post to the newsgroup .. and
> your kind reply !
>
> Right I am 80% of the way there but can I have a little more
> clarification please ?
>
> I now understand that the CD-RW and DVD-RW should go in the Primary
> IDE cable... no problem there.
>
> You are then saying that I should put BOTH the Western Digital Hard
> Drives (120GB Master and 80GB Slave) on the PRI_RAID1 .. no problems
> with that either. (Master on end of cable as per normal I assume ?)
>
> The next bit I am confused about .. do I HAVE to use then in RAID
> configuration ? I thought here was a problem if they weren't both the
> same size ?
> Sorry about this, but I am a 100% novice about RAID.. I didn't know it
> even existed until 3 days ago when the motherboard arrived !
> So please humour me a little bit on this !
> I have read the manual, but it might as well be written in 'Martian'
> as far as I'm concerned :), as I don't have the basic knowledge to
> intrepet it ... Over to you !
>
> Many Thanks,
>
> Steve
>
> On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 11:38:20 +0300, "Thomas Wendell"
> <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Read the manual??
> >
> >(What's that motherboard, I couldn't find it)
> >If it is the P5GDC-V, theb on page 2-30 it says about PRI_RAID1 [red],
> >SEC_RAID1 [red]
> >"These connectors are for Ultra ATA 133/100/66 signal cables. These
> >connectors support up to four IDE hard drives that can be configured as a
> >disk array through the onboard IDE RAID controller.
> >
> >These connectors are set to IDE mode by default. In IDE mode, you can
> >connect IDE devices to these connectors such as boot/data hard drives or
> >optical drives. If you intend to crate an IDE RAID set using these
> >connectors, see the ITE8212F controller item.....
> >

> >If so, I'd connect the opticals to the PRI_IDE connector and the HDs to
the
> >PRI_RAID1

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Thanks Thomas, I understand now :)

Once again, thanks for your help, I appeciate it !

Steve

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 14:21:30 +0300, "Thomas Wendell"