Maxtor 6B160M0 and Asus A7V600X

Greetings,
Just brought a new hard drive, SATA Maxtor 6B160M0 160GB. Using that
on my Asus motherboard A7V600X. That's via chipset, with onboard SATA.
Compared to my old hard drive, which was a Seagate ST360021A 60GB it
is faster as stats show below:

SiSoft Sandra File System Benchmark:
Seagate Drive : 37 mb/s
Maxtor Drive : 48 mb/s

For the record I am running an Athlon XP 2200, 256MB PC3200 400Mhz
Ram, Radeon 7500 AGP graphics card, Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1
sound card.

So, its 10mb/s faster based on this test. Great of course, but should
I be expecting more from my drive(s)? Or is that an expected rate? I
have heard of the trouble Via chipsets cause with SATA (from browsing
the web). Is there a way "around" the problems?

I am very new to the SATA world. As you probably guessed.

Any help/comments/advice appreciated

Chris

"Chris B" <mesio@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> Greetings,
> Just brought a new hard drive, SATA Maxtor 6B160M0 160GB. Using that
> on my Asus motherboard A7V600X. That's via chipset, with onboard SATA.
> Compared to my old hard drive, which was a Seagate ST360021A 60GB it
> is faster as stats show below:
>
> SiSoft Sandra File System Benchmark:
> Seagate Drive : 37 mb/s
> Maxtor Drive : 48 mb/s
>
> For the record I am running an Athlon XP 2200, 256MB PC3200 400Mhz
> Ram, Radeon 7500 AGP graphics card, Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1
> sound card.
>
> So, its 10mb/s faster based on this test. Great of course, but should
> I be expecting more from my drive(s)? Or is that an expected rate? I
> have heard of the trouble Via chipsets cause with SATA (from browsing
> the web). Is there a way "around" the problems?
>
> I am very new to the SATA world. As you probably guessed.
>
> Any help/comments/advice appreciated
>
> Chris

Good choice of drive.
Speed looks about right.
There is no real SATA speed advantage with a single (non-RAID 0) drive.
Sandra is not the best for program for giving you a good look at that jewel.
HD_Tach 3.0.0 gives a good view.
JPS

My Seagate 200G ST3200822AS runs faster than the Maxtor 6Y200M0 (200G) I had
before. Also the Seagate has a 5 year warranty period.

The Maxtor drive was falty after running PM 7.0 on WinXP.

"Chris B" <mesio@btopenworld.com> escreveu na mensagem
> Greetings,
> Just brought a new hard drive, SATA Maxtor 6B160M0 160GB. Using that
> on my Asus motherboard A7V600X. That's via chipset, with onboard SATA.
> Compared to my old hard drive, which was a Seagate ST360021A 60GB it
> is faster as stats show below:
>
> SiSoft Sandra File System Benchmark:
> Seagate Drive : 37 mb/s
> Maxtor Drive : 48 mb/s
>
> For the record I am running an Athlon XP 2200, 256MB PC3200 400Mhz
> Ram, Radeon 7500 AGP graphics card, Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1
> sound card.
>
> So, its 10mb/s faster based on this test. Great of course, but should
> I be expecting more from my drive(s)? Or is that an expected rate? I
> have heard of the trouble Via chipsets cause with SATA (from browsing
> the web). Is there a way "around" the problems?
>
> I am very new to the SATA world. As you probably guessed.
>
> Any help/comments/advice appreciated
>
> Chris

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 14:53:38 +0100, "NSA"
<m.silva@netcabo.pt> wrote:

>"Chris B" <mesio@btopenworld.com> escreveu na mensagem
>> Greetings,
>> Just brought a new hard drive, SATA Maxtor 6B160M0 160GB. Using that
>> on my Asus motherboard A7V600X. That's via chipset, with onboard SATA.
>> Compared to my old hard drive, which was a Seagate ST360021A 60GB it
>> is faster as stats show below:
>>
>> SiSoft Sandra File System Benchmark:
>> Seagate Drive : 37 mb/s
>> Maxtor Drive : 48 mb/s
>>

>My Seagate 200G ST3200822AS runs faster than the Maxtor 6Y200M0 (200G) I had
>before. Also the Seagate has a 5 year warranty period.
>
>The Maxtor drive was falty after running PM 7.0 on WinXP.

Differences like platter density can matter more than which
particular drive. Historically Maxtor drives were usually
faster than Seagate but in more recent times a comparison of
_contemporary_ models makes the performace between the two
similar, less of an issue than the warranty, IMO.

IOW, usually the performance increase comes from newer
models, generational improvements industry-wide, moreso than
changing brand (other things like NCQ, buffer size,
rotational speed, etc, remaining equal).

"NSA" <m.silva@netcabo.pt> wrote in message news:<42568ce6$0$2000$a729d347@news.telepac.pt>...
> My Seagate 200G ST3200822AS runs faster than the Maxtor 6Y200M0 (200G) I had
> before. Also the Seagate has a 5 year warranty period.
>
> The Maxtor drive was falty after running PM 7.0 on WinXP.
>

> "Chris B" <mesio@btopenworld.com> escreveu na mensagem
> > Greetings,
> > Just brought a new hard drive, SATA Maxtor 6B160M0 160GB. Using that
> > on my Asus motherboard A7V600X. That's via chipset, with onboard SATA.
> > Compared to my old hard drive, which was a Seagate ST360021A 60GB it
> > is faster as stats show below:
> >
> > SiSoft Sandra File System Benchmark:
> > Seagate Drive : 37 mb/s
> > Maxtor Drive : 48 mb/s
> >
> > For the record I am running an Athlon XP 2200, 256MB PC3200 400Mhz
> > Ram, Radeon 7500 AGP graphics card, Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1
> > sound card.
> >
> > So, its 10mb/s faster based on this test. Great of course, but should
> > I be expecting more from my drive(s)? Or is that an expected rate? I
> > have heard of the trouble Via chipsets cause with SATA (from browsing
> > the web). Is there a way "around" the problems?
> >
> > I am very new to the SATA world. As you probably guessed.
> >
> > Any help/comments/advice appreciated
> >
> > Chris

Cheers for all the comments/opinions guys!

Chris