Where to learn everything?

Does anyone have a good website or book (pref. website) where I can
pretty much learn everything about computers from hardware, how they
work, terms, repair, networking, anything... virtually a library. IDK
if there is anything out there like that, but please leave me a link
if you know of something.
12 answers Last reply
More about where learn everything

    This is a bit old, but it's a start.
    part1
    http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=283&p=1
    part2
    http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=287&p=1

    www.tomshardware.com is pretty good.

    pez wrote:
    > Does anyone have a good website or book (pref. website) where I can
    > pretty much learn everything about computers from hardware, how they
    > work, terms, repair, networking, anything... virtually a library. IDK
    > if there is anything out there like that, but please leave me a link
    > if you know of something.

    You have been given several good starting points, but I cannot resist
    saying one thing: I have been working on computers for years, and I
    doubt that I will ever "Learn everything" about them. Just when you
    think you are getting pretty good, you encounter a problem that humbles
    you! It is fun however. Good luck!

    "Ken" <user@domain.invalid> wrote in message
    > pez wrote:
    >> Does anyone have a good website or book (pref. website) where I can
    >> pretty much learn everything about computers from hardware, how they
    >> work, terms, repair, networking, anything... virtually a library. IDK
    >> if there is anything out there like that, but please leave me a link
    >> if you know of something.
    >>

    > You have been given several good starting points, but I cannot resist
    > saying one thing: I have been working on computers for years, and I doubt
    > that I will ever "Learn everything" about them. Just when you think you
    > are getting pretty good, you encounter a problem that humbles you! It is
    > fun however. Good luck!

    Very true. Also its changing much quicker these days than a few years ago.
    I used to be into hardware a few years back and it was relatively easy to
    keep up to date. I want to get back into it now (more as a hobby than
    anything else) and things have changed so much.
    For example, when I used to put HD into a machine I had one of 2 options:
    IDE or SCSI. It was a relatively easy choice. Cheap IDE. Fast SCSI. Now
    there's about 50 different options!

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:52:37 +0100, "johnp"
    <johndontemailme@gmail.com> wrote:

    >"Ken" <user@domain.invalid> wrote in message
    >> pez wrote:
    >>> Does anyone have a good website or book (pref. website) where I can
    >>> pretty much learn everything about computers from hardware, how they
    >>> work, terms, repair, networking, anything... virtually a library. IDK
    >>> if there is anything out there like that, but please leave me a link
    >>> if you know of something.
    >>>

    >> You have been given several good starting points, but I cannot resist
    >> saying one thing: I have been working on computers for years, and I doubt
    >> that I will ever "Learn everything" about them. Just when you think you
    >> are getting pretty good, you encounter a problem that humbles you! It is
    >> fun however. Good luck!
    >
    >Very true. Also its changing much quicker these days than a few years ago.
    >I used to be into hardware a few years back and it was relatively easy to
    >keep up to date. I want to get back into it now (more as a hobby than
    >anything else) and things have changed so much.
    >For example, when I used to put HD into a machine I had one of 2 options:
    >IDE or SCSI. It was a relatively easy choice. Cheap IDE. Fast SCSI. Now
    >there's about 50 different options!

    Computers are a lot like old radio technology used to be. at first it
    was build your own, then various stages of manufactured sets. there
    was a hey day of radio culture that was The Thing. That culture has
    been pretty much overrun with commercials, payola, corporate
    ownership, and good old talk radio propaganda.

    Computers have gone through the same stages and are about to be
    overrun by Billy Gates' and his get out of jail free government
    buddies' Longhorn safe computing big brother network.

    You won't have to know much pretty soon. They will do all the
    thinking for you.

    Eventually it'll all be built into the frame of a 42" LCD display.

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 02:34:28 +0000,
    pezjb@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (pez) put finger to keyboard and
    composed:

    >Does anyone have a good website or book (pref. website) where I can
    >pretty much learn everything about computers from hardware, how they
    >work, terms, repair, networking, anything... virtually a library. IDK
    >if there is anything out there like that, but please leave me a link
    >if you know of something.

    Scott Mueller's "Upgrading and Repairing PCs" is considered by many to
    be the definitive reference work.

    http://www.upgradingandrepairingpcs.com/
    http://www.quepublishing.com/promotions/promotion.asp?promo=1634&rl=1#_

    - Franc Zabkar

    "pez" <pezjb@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > Does anyone have a good website or book (pref. website) where I can
    > pretty much learn everything about computers from hardware, how they
    > work, terms, repair, networking, anything... virtually a library. IDK
    > if there is anything out there like that, but please leave me a link
    > if you know of something.

    I started by adding hardware to an old pc I had. I bought a few books and
    the best for me was the A+ Certification for Dummies book. :-)

    I think it was a great book to start with (easy read). My A+ Certification
    cost me under $100 and that was just for the books. Most of which were not
    that helpful compared to the Dummies book. If you google it you can find the
    latest version for around $20. I did a lot of the free online A+ tests and
    got comfortable with the questions and terms. I have a bunch of links on my
    website that I had used. Not all of my links still work as some have been
    taken down. The free test links were very helpful to me when I took the test
    (2000).

    I've since built all my own computers and do a little sidework fixing others
    peoples. Most of that is software related anymore.

    Good luck,
    --
    Tip
    www.gotips.net

    "johnp" <johndontemailme@gmail.com> skrev i melding

    ------------

    > Very true. Also its changing much quicker these days than a few years ago.
    > I used to be into hardware a few years back and it was relatively easy to
    > keep up to date. I want to get back into it now (more as a hobby than
    > anything else) and things have changed so much.
    > For example, when I used to put HD into a machine I had one of 2 options:
    > IDE or SCSI. It was a relatively easy choice. Cheap IDE. Fast SCSI. Now
    > there's about 50 different options!

    1 - Usual IDE-drives
    2 - IDE RAID
    3 - SATA
    4 - SATA RAID
    5 - External harddrives (USBII/Firewire)
    6 - SCSI

    Any more categories?
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Geir Klemetsen wrote:
    > "johnp" <johndontemailme@gmail.com> skrev i melding
    >
    > ------------
    >
    >> Very true. Also its changing much quicker these days than a few
    >> years ago. I used to be into hardware a few years back and it was
    >> relatively easy to keep up to date. I want to get back into it now
    >> (more as a hobby than anything else) and things have changed so much.
    >> For example, when I used to put HD into a machine I had one of 2
    >> Fast SCSI. Now there's about 50 different options!
    >
    > 1 - Usual IDE-drives
    > 2 - IDE RAID
    > 3 - SATA
    > 4 - SATA RAID
    > 5 - External harddrives (USBII/Firewire)
    > 6 - SCSI
    >
    > Any more categories?

    7 -iSCSI
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    6 & 7. A few different versions of SCSI (Ultra, Wide, UltraWide, 160 , 320,
    LVD....)...

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "S.Heenan" <sheenan@wahs.ac> kirjoitti viestissä
    > Geir Klemetsen wrote:
    > > "johnp" <johndontemailme@gmail.com> skrev i melding
    > >
    > > ------------
    > >
    > >> Very true. Also its changing much quicker these days than a few
    > >> years ago. I used to be into hardware a few years back and it was
    > >> relatively easy to keep up to date. I want to get back into it now
    > >> (more as a hobby than anything else) and things have changed so much.
    > >> For example, when I used to put HD into a machine I had one of 2
    > >> Fast SCSI. Now there's about 50 different options!
    > >
    > > 1 - Usual IDE-drives
    > > 2 - IDE RAID
    > > 3 - SATA
    > > 4 - SATA RAID
    > > 5 - External harddrives (USBII/Firewire)
    > > 6 - SCSI
    > >
    > > Any more categories?
    >
    > 7 -iSCSI

  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    And I forgot NAS (network storage)...

    --

    "Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä
    > 6 & 7. A few different versions of SCSI (Ultra, Wide, UltraWide, 160 ,
    320,
    > LVD....)...
    >

    > --
    > Tumppi
    > Reply to group
    > Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
    > Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
    > (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
    >

    > "S.Heenan" <sheenan@wahs.ac> kirjoitti viestissä
    > > Geir Klemetsen wrote:
    > > > "johnp" <johndontemailme@gmail.com> skrev i melding
    > > >
    > > > ------------

    > > > 1 - Usual IDE-drives
    > > > 2 - IDE RAID
    > > > 3 - SATA
    > > > 4 - SATA RAID
    > > > 5 - External harddrives (USBII/Firewire)
    > > > 6 - SCSI
    > > >
    > > > Any more categories?
    > >
    > > 7 -iSCSI

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    "pez" <pezjb@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > Does anyone have a good website or book (pref. website) where I can
    > pretty much learn everything about computers from hardware, how they
    > work, terms, repair, networking, anything... virtually a library. IDK
    > if there is anything out there like that, but please leave me a link
    > if you know of something.

    whatever you do dont buy any books

    first idnetify the components of a PC and what they require to be connected
    to the motherboard and go from there, the motherboard is the restricting
    facor of building a computer, it defines what you can have in our computer
    system and may limit future upgradability so choose one carefully. it would
    be a good idea to read up on processors and their respective sockets
    etc.etc.

    go on the net, read about things like IDE and SATA and DDR DIMMS, SIMMS
    SDRAM all that stuff, read about AGP, read about PCI read about PCI-Express,
    read about USB 2.0 and IEEE1394, read about ATX and just read as much u can,
    its all on the net for free

    a year i ago i knew nothing, i never knew where to begin

    now i am pretty good, i have built about 12 computers for ppl my brother
    knows and a few of my friends and of course some other people.

    One stumbling block for me was the processor sockets.

    I will tell you now though, you will never knwo everything it is progressing
    at such a pace that its hard to keep on top of it. just keep reading though!

    HTH

    and gluck

    Christo

Homebuilt Hardware Systems