I need a socket A motherboard with a ISA slot?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

recommendations please on a motherboard that will run a athlon/duron
chip.but must have a ISA slot. GA-zrx was the last board that I saw had it
10 answers Last reply
More about socket motherboard slot
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    In article <mpO6e.673$JJ2.572@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>, says...
    > recommendations please on a motherboard that will run a athlon/duron
    > chip.but must have a ISA slot. GA-zrx was the last board that I saw had it

    Abit KT7/A

    --
    Conor

    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    most socket A motherboards that took 168pin sdram had an ISA slot as well.

    "Conor Turton" <conor@conorturton.com> wrote in message
    > In article <mpO6e.673$JJ2.572@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>, says...
    > > recommendations please on a motherboard that will run a athlon/duron
    > > chip.but must have a ISA slot. GA-zrx was the last board that I saw had
    it

    > Abit KT7/A
    >
    > --
    > Conor
    >
    > "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    paak wrote:
    > most socket A motherboards that took 168pin sdram had an ISA slot as
    > well.

    Not true. Even in 2000-2001, the majority of Socket A boards using PC133 did
    not have an ISA slot.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    I"m running two socket a mobos, and neither of them have an ISA slot.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Your question has been answered by others in this thread, but I am curious
    as to why you need an ISA slot. Almost any add-on card of that vintage will
    have newer and better PCI card versions.

    "Alistair Smythe" <Alistair Smythe@att.net> wrote in message
    > recommendations please on a motherboard that will run a athlon/duron
    > chip.but must have a ISA slot. GA-zrx was the last board that I saw had it

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    It's just getting harder and harder to find mobos that are still in
    working condition that will use ISA cards. Sometimes, you just have to
    give up on the older hardware. PCI modems don't cost that much,
    anyways, untless you want an external, serial modem. That'll cost you
    more.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Do a Google search under "Socket A mobo plus ISA slot", and you'll
    come up with a ton of mobos that have ISA slots and are Socket A (370).
    www.calibex.com has 7 listed. Hope that helps.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    I wanted to put to use a hardware modem that I bought about 5 years ago and
    it was 1 of the few that worked with talkworks from symantec
    "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
    > Your question has been answered by others in this thread, but I am curious
    > as to why you need an ISA slot. Almost any add-on card of that vintage
    > will have newer and better PCI card versions.
    >
    > "Alistair Smythe" <Alistair Smythe@att.net> wrote in message
    >> recommendations please on a motherboard that will run a athlon/duron
    >> chip.but must have a ISA slot. GA-zrx was the last board that I saw had
    >> it

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:36:50 GMT, "Alistair Smythe"
    <Alistair Smythe@att.net> wrote:

    >recommendations please on a motherboard that will run a athlon/duron
    >chip.but must have a ISA slot. GA-zrx was the last board that I saw had it

    All of the socket A boards with ISA slots use old chipsets
    and slower memory busses. For any CPU you would run in one,
    it'd have lower performance than in a modern motherboard.

    If this software is important I would consider an external
    modem instead, as almost all boards still support a COM port
    or two and presumably the software does support any hardware
    modem, though perhaps there are others it also supports? If
    a particular winmodem(s) work with it, that might be a good
    solution.

    Another problem with socket a boards supporing ISA slot is
    that the Via variety probably uses the 686 southbridge which
    has the now-infamous "IDE corruption" bug if you don't patch
    it with newer via driver and/or bios updates. Although I
    generally avoid SIS chipset based boards, you might seek the
    newest SIS board that still retains ISA support- though
    since i avoid them I don't know which boards that might be,
    but you might Google search for them.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On 15 Apr 2005 11:35:26 -0700, "Greyfrog"
    <sbarringer@netpenny.net> wrote:

    >Do a Google search under "Socket A mobo plus ISA slot", and you'll
    >come up with a ton of mobos that have ISA slots and are Socket A (370).
    > www.calibex.com has 7 listed. Hope that helps.

    Socket A is not 370.
    Socket 3 70 boards with ISA were quite common, but they run
    nothing newer/faster than Tualatin Celeron/P3.

Homebuilt Hardware Motherboards Systems