I need a socket A motherboard with a ISA slot?

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
April 12, 2005 3:36:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

recommendations please on a motherboard that will run a athlon/duron
chip.but must have a ISA slot. GA-zrx was the last board that I saw had it
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
April 13, 2005 1:58:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

In article <mpO6e.673$JJ2.572@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>, says...
> recommendations please on a motherboard that will run a athlon/duron
> chip.but must have a ISA slot. GA-zrx was the last board that I saw had it

Abit KT7/A

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
April 13, 2005 1:26:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

most socket A motherboards that took 168pin sdram had an ISA slot as well.

"Conor Turton" <conor@conorturton.com> wrote in message
> In article <mpO6e.673$JJ2.572@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>, says...
> > recommendations please on a motherboard that will run a athlon/duron
> > chip.but must have a ISA slot. GA-zrx was the last board that I saw had
it

> Abit KT7/A
>
> --
> Conor
>
> "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
April 14, 2005 10:35:26 PM

paak wrote:
> most socket A motherboards that took 168pin sdram had an ISA slot as
> well.

Not true. Even in 2000-2001, the majority of Socket A boards using PC133 did
not have an ISA slot.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
April 15, 2005 3:11:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I"m running two socket a mobos, and neither of them have an ISA slot.
April 15, 2005 3:11:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Your question has been answered by others in this thread, but I am curious
as to why you need an ISA slot. Almost any add-on card of that vintage will
have newer and better PCI card versions.

"Alistair Smythe" <Alistair Smythe@att.net> wrote in message
> recommendations please on a motherboard that will run a athlon/duron
> chip.but must have a ISA slot. GA-zrx was the last board that I saw had it

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
April 15, 2005 3:15:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

It's just getting harder and harder to find mobos that are still in
working condition that will use ISA cards. Sometimes, you just have to
give up on the older hardware. PCI modems don't cost that much,
anyways, untless you want an external, serial modem. That'll cost you
more.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
April 15, 2005 3:35:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Do a Google search under "Socket A mobo plus ISA slot", and you'll
come up with a ton of mobos that have ISA slots and are Socket A (370).
www.calibex.com has 7 listed. Hope that helps.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
April 15, 2005 7:16:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I wanted to put to use a hardware modem that I bought about 5 years ago and
it was 1 of the few that worked with talkworks from symantec
"Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
> Your question has been answered by others in this thread, but I am curious
> as to why you need an ISA slot. Almost any add-on card of that vintage
> will have newer and better PCI card versions.
>
> "Alistair Smythe" <Alistair Smythe@att.net> wrote in message
>> recommendations please on a motherboard that will run a athlon/duron
>> chip.but must have a ISA slot. GA-zrx was the last board that I saw had
>> it

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
April 15, 2005 10:41:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:36:50 GMT, "Alistair Smythe"
<Alistair Smythe@att.net> wrote:

>recommendations please on a motherboard that will run a athlon/duron
>chip.but must have a ISA slot. GA-zrx was the last board that I saw had it

All of the socket A boards with ISA slots use old chipsets
and slower memory busses. For any CPU you would run in one,
it'd have lower performance than in a modern motherboard.

If this software is important I would consider an external
modem instead, as almost all boards still support a COM port
or two and presumably the software does support any hardware
modem, though perhaps there are others it also supports? If
a particular winmodem(s) work with it, that might be a good
solution.

Another problem with socket a boards supporing ISA slot is
that the Via variety probably uses the 686 southbridge which
has the now-infamous "IDE corruption" bug if you don't patch
it with newer via driver and/or bios updates. Although I
generally avoid SIS chipset based boards, you might seek the
newest SIS board that still retains ISA support- though
since i avoid them I don't know which boards that might be,
but you might Google search for them.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
April 16, 2005 1:02:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On 15 Apr 2005 11:35:26 -0700, "Greyfrog"
<sbarringer@netpenny.net> wrote:

>Do a Google search under "Socket A mobo plus ISA slot", and you'll
>come up with a ton of mobos that have ISA slots and are Socket A (370).
> www.calibex.com has 7 listed. Hope that helps.

Socket A is not 370.
Socket 3 70 boards with ISA were quite common, but they run
nothing newer/faster than Tualatin Celeron/P3.
!